Monday, October 11, 2010

The Streak Ends

The perfect football weekend draws to a close with one more game tonight. How can I call this weekend the perfect weekend? Well my friend, when you beat an arch rival for the first time in 14 tries, I'd say that's a great start but that was the end. The beginning was Saturday where some big names fell, some hearts were broken and for all intent purposes the BCS is back to being a big fat can of worms.

Before we dive into the extremely exciting weekend of football, I must first rant on a thing that has been bothering me for quite sometime: fans. That's right fans piss me off. You know why I can't stand most fans is because they dish it and then can't take it. They make fun of every one's team, conference, division, hair color, etc. The fact is if you can't stand people texting you after your team loses, then don't make fun of someone else's team in the first place. Case in point, a good friend of mine and he called me out in his last blog so I will do the same. You see, he makes fun of every conference even the one his team is in and every one's team. They lost this weekend and I'm sure he will breakdown the loss soon. You can't complain when you get a 1,000 text messages from fans of other teams when your team loses. It's inexcusable. My phone blew up when Boise beat OU or anytime OU loses for that matter. Nebraska fans are the worst. They were the most uptight bunch of fans when they were winning Big XII titles and whipping every team in the nation. However, once Callahan showed up they couldn't handle it. I'd make fun of them and either they looked like they were going to cry or want to fight. These my friends, are what I'd call idiot fans. You should defend your team's "honor" if you are a fan. You shouldn't go overboard. Suck it up and take it like a man. We all make fun of each others teams, that's the nature of the beast in sports. Misery loves company. I will continue to text my good friend John when the Cowboys, Red Raiders, Rangers and especially the Mavs when they lose. He, in return, will text me when the Sooners, Raiders and Spurs get their asses handed to them. At the end of the day, I can still call him a friend because it's all in good fun. I love sports but I know it's not life and death. If I didn't have friends make fun of me for when they lose, I wouldn't be able to throw it right back in their face when they win. Where would be the fun?

I didn't think this weekend would be perfect after what happened on Thursday. Nebraska ran over Kansas State in nothing more than a glorified showcase of Martinez. They hadn't been on National Television yet this year. If you saw their schedule, you would know the reason. The Huskers showed off their talents and made K-State looked like, well a Big 12 team. Not the start I was looking for. However, the sun rose on Saturday morning to start a beautiful day, the mood suddenly changed. The early games weren't much to talk about except Ohio State continuing their dominance. I watched quite a bit of the Texas Tech Baylor game. I text John, BBSD blogger and radio host, right after the bonehead onside kick touchdown. I knew this was going to be a day to remember. The late afternoon games had 2 games I looked forward to the most. I claimed before the Bama game that South Carolina would be exposed as a fraud. Thankfully, I am not a betting man. South Carolina did exactly what Bama wants to do to everyone. Run the ball down their throat and come up with big passing plays. The Cocks upset goes down as the first good thing to happen for me. I hate the BCS and I root for 7 or 8 undefeated teams by seasons end. My hatred for Nick Saban and the Tide goes much deeper. The old ball coach got the big win and set the tone.

I watched most of the Michigan Michigan State game with a Michigan buddy of mine. You could feel his disappointment. "Little brother" handed Michigan a butt kicking and eliminated the hype. ESPN touts Michigan and many other programs when they win. I love to see those teams go down. I give credit to our Michigan blogger, Chris for being rational and saying Denard didn't deserve the Heisman hype so quickly. He's certainly not out of the running and will more than likely end up in New York for the presentation come January. His receivers didn't help him out by dropping wide open passes either. I'm giving a lot of credit to the Spartans though. They had the gameplan and played a damn good game. So far so good.

The Florida LSU and Florida State Miami games ended this stellar day of football. Florida has been so good for so long, that it's time they get knocked from their perch. I don't wish ill will on Urban as we all know he had some health issues. He loses a few more heartbreakers such as the one on Saturday, he might end up back in the hospital. The credit really goes to Les Miles. The ballsy fake field goal flip on the would be tying field goal and the game winning td were both reviewed, upheld and I went crazy. Another great game was the Noles and Canes. The game wasn't pretty but it helped OU's non-conference schedule. My only complaint on Saturday was Arizona lost which hurt Iowa.

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Oh sorry I thought I was doing a monster truck commercial. Sunday kicked off with the Chefs and Colts only on CBS. I hate KC and can't stand watching Matt Cassel pretend he's a franchise qb. I'll be honest after the first half, I was nervous. KC had a great defensive scheme for Peyton. He looked off all game long. Good thing the Chefs offense wasn't producing anything either. I've watched a few KC games and if you stack 8 in the box and make Cassel beat you, you'll win. Other teams failed, Indy didn't. Peyton put the game winning drive together and finally put the ball in the endzone for the W. KC, no longer undefeated and the NFL day was just getting started. The other early game that was on my television screen was the Pack and Skins. I've seen every team in the NFC East this year and the Skins are the most impressive. Granted, the Giants plowed through the Texans yesterday and the Eagles kept San Fran win less. I'll keep Dallas on hold for a moment. The Skins defense keeps coming after you with ruthless aggression and McNabb makes the plays to keep the game alive. Neither offensive line is that good giving up a total of 9 sacks and almost 20 hits on the QB. However, coming back from 10 down in the fourth to tie and giving up only 3 points to a good Packers offense should receive you some praise. The Packers keep getting hit with the injury bug, Rodgers included. The NFC East is wide open and if the Skins continue to play aggressive defense and McNabb stays healthy, they might make the playoffs and every Cowboy fan just threw up. Speaking of Dallas...

Where the hell is their season going? I can tell you, down in a blaze of shame. Hell even our Dallas homers, Larry and John are writing nasty blogs on how bad the Boys suck. Congrats on coming over to the dark side. I've ripped Dallas enough that I don't need to say much more. If you want a fans perspective, you'll find it here. Well said John. As I said, the East is wide open and they could still make a run. I hope not because I'm enjoying this way to much.

On to the best thing that has happened to a Raider fan in a long long time, a W over San Diego SuperChargers. I was so sick of hearing that stupid song. I watched after the game as Chris Berman couldn't even break down the game as he was mortified. The guys on NFL Primetime or whatever the hell that show is called gave Oakland no love. I'm fine with that because the Raiders never get love. We are a hated franchise. Oakland blocked two punts, changed quarterbacks twice and found a way to reverse the tuck rule for their first victory over San Diego in 14 tries. CBS flipped to the Oakland game right after the play happened. If you're not familiar or haven't seen it: Michael Huff, another 1st round bust, flew in knocked the ball away from Rivers before the arm went forward. Tyvon Branch scooped up the ball and ran it back for the game clinching td. The play was reviewed and that's when CBS flipped. I text my brother instantly because if the play was overturned it would have been circa 2001 all over again. Instead, the call stood and I did my best credit card leap off my chair. Incredible. A lot of writers called Moss, "the crazy hot chick" you don't marry but date for a while. Well the Oakland Raiders are my crazy hot chick. They do just enough good that just went I think I'm jumping ship or cutting ties, they come up with a huge win. I'm not saying this is going to turn the franchise around or begin a hot winning streak. I will say this was the game they had to win. San Diego has been the Raiders kryptonite.

This is why I love sports so much. The ups and downs throughout the year. You write a team off only to see them overcome. One week you are committing sports suicide and the next your at an all time high. It's what makes sports so great. Yes, I've been Debbie Downer in the past with the Raiders. Name me one fan of any team that hasn't been down. You can't and that's what drives us. Fans love to pick on each other and we must take the good with the bad. Eventually one day, your team from any sport, lifts that trophy high in the air and it might as well be the middle finger to all your sports buddies. That my friend is the best day for any sports fan.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com