Friday, October 29, 2010

The New Stars

The NBA is back! I know everyone has put up previews, picked their champion and other awards. I had plans to do that myself in a very unique way. Instead, I sat back, watched a few games and then make some observations. This isn't a preview blog. This is more about the over all look at the NBA and their budding stars. The league is full of young talent that is blossoming. I blame you if you're not watching.

I start with the man who had a spectacular debut on Wednesday night, Blake Griffin. How pumped was I to see the debut? Good question. I dvr'd the game since I wake up for my other job at 6am. I sent texts with the word BLAKE to random friends. I passed on the World Series game to focus on Blake and Durant. Blake, barring injury is going to win the Rookie of the Year. He's making the Clippers, yes the other LA team, seem relevant. I looked up the T'Wolves schedule (closest NBA team to me) to see when the Clips would be in town. Road trip. Blake is going to be special. The Clippers as a whole, not so much. They were dominated on the offensive glass. They lack jump shooters and Baron Davis needs to show he cares. Blake and Eric Gordon are the main attractions. Blake debuted with a 20 point 14 board, 9 offensive, night and we are only touching the surface.

Blake wasn't the only man who debuted this week. John Wall will try to revive a Wiz team in desperate need of a court leader and new identity. Wall is a work in progress. Point guards don't normally come out of college and lead an NBA franchise. Wall needs help and his mates won't provide a ton. That's not a knock on Wall. I think John is going to be a great NBA player. He's explosive, gets the hoop with ease and finishes. He has to work on his shooting abilities. We won't witness it this year because he will need time. I expect Wall to be playing in All-Star games and meaningful games in April in 2 years.

This is such an interesting time for the Association. You can find young studs all over the league. You can find 3 of them on one team. Oklahoma City is going to be on ESPN and TNT every other week. That's a great thing. Durant is worth the price of admission alone. Westbrook continues to amaze and Jeff Green is no slouch. The Thunder is the most fun group of players to watch. Durant is adding the MVP trophy after winning 60 games this year. The thing I love most about Durant is his personality. His team is put first. That includes the way he handled being the man at the World Championships over the summer. I heard a story about Durant that proves he's special. According to the story, Lebron was having a party and invited Durant. The party was on an off night for KD and he was scheduled to have a pre-season game the next night. Durant turned the invite down saying he doesn't go out on nights before games. Thank you Durant. My affection for him went to full fledged bromance in one moment.

Now talking about Wall, Blake and Durant is easy. They get a lot of love from everyone. I said the league is full of talent. Some quick hits on several more:

Derrick Rose- Chicago's point guard is the key to elevate the Bulls from middle of the pack to elite status. They are still the 4th best team in the East until proven.

Brandon Roy- Oden who? The real man to watch on the Blazers is Roy. He's a fantastic shooter and has talent around him. Portland is a playoff sleeper to make a long run with or without Oden. If Roy goes down, that's a whole new story.

Rajon Rondo- The talk of the Celtics always leans to Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The general to lead the Vets is Rondo. His defense is outstanding and the jumper is ever improving. He puts the ball in perfect positions for the Big 3.

Al Horford- Dwight Howard get the most attention as the best young big. Al should be getting more. He's a better offensive threat than Howard. Horford isn't quite the flashy player but that's fine with me. My favorite player ever is Timmy Duncan. I don't need big time dunks, I need a quiet workman like Power Forward. Horford fit that mold.

Stephen Curry- The T'Wolves didn't draft him and the Warriors benefited. The system might change without Don Nelson. Curry will still produce. His shot is beautiful, wonderful touch and is deadly from 3 point land (43% last season). Curry is undersized which hurts him a little. Still, I can't wait to watch this kid grow.

I haven't even mentioned O.J Mayo, Brandon Jennings and the very underrated Kevin Love. The media spends to much time hyping the Heat and the Melo fiasco. The league is better overall when you look at the big picture. I noticed TNT isn't playing the same teams over and over on their Thursday night double-headers. I think that's wonderful. We need to see all the young talent not a little. I wouldn't be a Spurs homer if I didn't talk about them.

The San Antonio Spurs are once again talked about being old and this is their last chance at a title. I thought last year was or the year before was their last chance. Duncan is back in great shape and DeJuan Blair slimmed down to be in better condition. The big addition was Tiago Splitter. Tiago was hidden in the Euro league for a few years before finally signing with the Spurs. He's a back to the basket player, perfect. The rumors are abound with Parker since it's his final contract year. I don't know what to make of that. He's their best weapon to drive to the hoop. He is also their best trade bait. The key for the Spurs is the mixture. Duncan and Manu can't play 35 a night. San Antonio needs Splitter, Blair and McDyess to help Timmy. James Anderson, Little George Hill and the disappointing Richard Jefferson can all take the load off Manu. I love the mixture but sometimes young and old together don't work out. The Spurs have one more run in them. Last year, I was content with a 1st round win since it was over the rival Mavs. This year, I'm hoping for a Western Conference Finals appearance.

No league is perfect and the NBA has its share of flaws. General managers continue to give undeserving 2nd and 3rd tier players fat contract. Sheriff Stern put the hammer down with stupid rules constantly. You can look past that and find a great product. I'm really hopeful the NBA can reach a new collective bargaining agreement. If they do and the NFL doesn't, it will only benefit Stern and the teams. Nobody wants to hear a bunch of bitchy athletes crying they can't afford to feed their 7 kids. NBA, don't be greedy, keep the rookie cap and keep tickets to games low. A professional league being fan friendly will go along way to help your image to the general public. If there isn't an NFL season, that casual fan that only watches the NBA after football is now going to watch more games. You can make more money in the long run if you get the deal done. Big picture people! The NHL would benefit big time if neither of them reach an agreement but that's a whole different topic.

I love the NBA. I was ready for a new season. The mix of young up and comers along with several veterans hanging on for one more year is interesting. I went this whole blog without mentioning the guys that get all the love. You know who they are. Lebron, Kobe, Howard, Wade and Anthony always get talked about. The NBA is in good hands for years to come. Almost every team has a franchise player and it's only going to get better with athletes staying in college for 2 years. Sorry Cleveland you will have to wait your turn again.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com