Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Raw 10-11

I had many questions float through my head before Raw started last night. Can we see Randy Orton for more than 2 minutes? Can we see a match longer than 10? I was also begging for two segments or less of Cena, sadly it was three. Raw did have a few things I liked but sadly it was outweighed by the negatives. Once again, Smackdown was better. The trend needs to break. I have some random thoughts before Raw this week.

On 10-10-10, 10-10-10, 10-10-10, all I heard on TNA was this day will change the complexion of the TNA world. It didn't happen. Every time TNA says they are going to shock us or surprise us, it's a giant letdown. Turning Jeff Hardy heel is the worst. You can grow an entire wrestling company around him. No, they would rather waste him and turn the fan base on him along with Hogan (again) and Jarrett. Another case of TNA having no idea how to write a compelling story. Jeff in TNA is Bret Hart in WCW. The pieces don't fit.

As far as Smack goes, good show. They showed the tag titles, kept LayCool and Natalya going, Dolph Vicki is another story and the main event of Kane and Taker. The payoff for Rey's revenge was complete too. They start a story, build on it and then have it resolve. Raw jumps a little to often and fails to deliver at times. Raw can fix some of the problems and do more than Cena Nexus. Well I thought they could...

Cena opens with the same lame promo he always gives, never give up blah blah blah. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm looking forward to Cena's turn so I don't have to listen to the same crap. You can't compare Hogan to Cena and say they are similar. The only thing similar is neither of them can act. The segment picked up once Miz and Barrett arrived. I can't get into the whole Bragging Rights teams. Raw and Smackdown are different shows but same company. I just don't care. Why wouldn't Barrett simply tell Cena he has to lose to the Miz? He has all the power. First segment didn't get me to excited for the rest of the show which has to be considered a failure.

First match for a spot on team Raw was a good call. Truth and Dibiase has been a small story. I realize Goldie has entered and will now be the focus for Teddy. The Truth Dibiase thing needed a resolution. The best part of the contest was Truth didn't win with school boy. We see that all to often. A clean win for Truth and he gets to do something at the ppv. The E set something up and finished it off. Now Ted and Goldust can have their story develop for the next several weeks. At least it gives them something to do.

Morrison and Kidd, albeit short, was a good back and forth match. Now a lot of people (read Larry from ShowStoppers) are going to give Morrison a ton of props for the finish. He deserves it. Kidd also deserves credit. Morrison can't do that with just anyone. The Dynasty is more than likely done. Morrison moves on and hopefully we see a promo with him and Miz next week. Who knows for Kidd? I don't suppose David Hart Smith is coming back with a bulldog.

Funny, Santino got a bigger pop than Cena. Ryder should have won though. Santino is more comic relief. Ryder has potential and wrestling skills. I don't get why he stays buried. The U.S. title has no one going for it. Throw Ryder a bone, woo woo woo.

Last week it took 2 hours and 8 minutes to see the WWE champ. This week, 45 minutes. Next week, Orton should open. I've said since I started this blog, the WWE title should take a backseat to nothing. Right now, Nexus Cena has been the headline. I hate it. The match wasn't bad except the flub finish. I'm positive it was Orton's fault this week. He should have rolled under not away. Nobody else in Nexus should even wrestle at this point besides Barrett and Gabriel. You can tell WWE has high hopes for Gabriel, putting him in matches with Cena and Orton in recent weeks. The RKO still looked goo and Orton didn't freak out that the finish screwed up. The mega push Orton received has came to a screeching halt though. Since winning the title at HIAC, Orton has barely said a word and no interaction with Barrett. You need the WWE title in the forefront not foreground.

The other title on Raw has been on the back burner too. Once this stupid Raw vs Smackdown Bragging Rights ppv is over, Sheamus and Bryan becomes a real feud. Raw has nobody left as far as heels. I said Ryder but that's not going to happen. Sheamus though needs a new opponent and push. Sheamus wins and Bryan will probably be off Bragging Rights. Again, the whole team thing is ahead of the mid card titles. Smackdown has Dolph and he's been battling MVP so hopefully that goes on Bragging Rights. It's really a shame how the WWE holds the titles in such disregard anymore. They are the things that put wrestlers over.

I asked for him and Punk's back. No more SES and that's fine. Punk will need someone to feud with and I can't think of anyone more suited than Morrison. I'd like to see a longer match between Bourne and Punk too. I might get that down the road since Punk "injured" Bourne. Evan needs shoulder surgery so he actually will be out for sometime. Once he returns, hopefully they start something. They did something right by bringing back the Chicago native.

Hey, the WWE developed the Diva story, clap clap. Guess what? I liked the segment even if the live crowd hated it. Natalya teases the Sharpshooter and Laycool continues to annoy the universe. I'm not saying Natalya has the best personality or talker. She is a great wrestler and fans will get behind her because Laycool gets massive heat. This works since they are opposites. The Divas don't have to be a joke. The division moved up and will continue if they keep this going.

I have to give credit when its due, Cena and Miz was good. The thing is we know Cena someday will turn heel and kids will cry. For the moment, he teeters. The fan reaction will be the thing to focus on for upcoming weeks. Will the fans, since a lot of them hate him now, turn and cheer for him when he's a heel? Or will the fans who hate him boo him harder? That's the compelling thing in all of this. I'm still confused on Harris and McGillicuty situation. We will know more next week since the main event sets up for them to join Nexus. I hope they join for the sake of Nexus. They need more guys who can wrestle. The ending could have been better. Barrett turned around and Orton should have slithered in and gave Barrett the RKO. That would have taken the focus off Cena and more on the WWE title where it belongs. I will say Barrett is playing the role very well. The "you can't see me" to end Raw was brilliant. Obviously next week Raw will end with everyone involved in the title match.

Raw was better than last week, which wasn't hard. We still haven't seen enough Barrett and Orton interaction. The Diva story moved forward and I couldn't be happier Punk is back on Monday nights. The teams are starting to develop and I don't care. The titles seemed lost especially the U.S. Bryan's not on a team and doesn't have an opponent. Congrats on being the first jobber with a belt. For a long time, I've called myself an old school wrestling fan and maybe that's why I just don't give a crap about the whole Raw vs Smack story. I get more interested in titles. I guess I'm out of the loop. After the pay per view, things better change. Check out ShowStoppers for more wrestling insight.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com