Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Raw 10-25

I'm so happy that crappy pay-per-view has passed. What ppv? Exactly. The WWE seems to be making headlines all over the place. Between "Stand up for WWE" and Taker's confrontation with Brock at UFC 121, the Internet Wrestling Community has gone nuts. First and foremost, I must talk about Sunday's show. (I don't want to but it's in my contract.) We can then move on to what I felt was a great Raw.

As far as Bragging Rights, Edge looked great. I predicted the show stealer with Ziggler and Bryan and they didn't disappoint. The Nexus are tag champs and Taker is gone again. Cena and Otunga winning the tag titles pissed me off and made it even worse on Raw. I had this feeling before Raw started. I went back in wrestling history and wondered how Cena could become the villain in all this Nexus stuff. I remembered how The Rock became leader of the Nation of Domination. The NOD was in the ring with Farooq. He wanted them to attack The Rock. The group turned and Rock was the new leader. I thought that may end up a scenario with Barrett being pushed out. However, Raw changed my mind. Did Bragging Rights set up Cena Taker at Wrestlemania? If Cena turns out to be the brains behind the attack, then yes. The subject of a Brock Lesnar Taker match at Mania can be thrown out the window. He's not coming back to the E or pro wrestling. He's under contract with UFC and I doubt Brock wants to come back. People speculate after the moment. Child please. Get off of that and think logically. Wait, I said think logically about pro wrestling. Forget I mentioned that. Taker needs surgery anyway so we might throw every scenario out the window since he may not be ready by April.

Raw started with Nexus and I laughed Cena had to come out with them and not his lame music. Kids must have been hurt. He still isn't wearing the shirt which is stupid. Barrett didn't need to introduce the group, we know who you are. Here's why I said to forget logic. Wade gets a rematch for the WWE title as announced. Ok, where is Cody and Drew rematch for the tag titles? WWE must have forgot about them. I thought everybody got a rematch. You make it even worse by handing them over to Wendy and Gabriel. WCW use to do this stupid crap with the finger point of doom. Knock it off! I love titles and they mean something. You devalue the hell out of them when you make a guy give them up. I wanted to see Otunga and Cena interact and try to work as a tag team. I'm puzzled and pissed on how this story is written with Cena and Nexus. Is Cena ever going to turn or did Vince change his mind?

Ziggler and Bryan got to steal back to back shows. You wonder why I bitch about the lack of wrestling on Raw. Well, Bryan and Ziggler proved my point. I'd rather see an exciting back and forth contest between two young studs then 7 backstage skits and 2 in ring promos. The young men stole the spotlight and I have to say I'd pay to see them again. Bryan is proving why he was such an anomaly in the independent circuit. He and Dolph should be praised to the moon for their classic style of wrestling the past two days. We are brewing a Punk Bryan feud which I begged for. Literally, I called the WWE office and begged them to make this happen. I'm sure someone got the call. Bryan and Ziggler were fantastic, Punk and Bryan epic wrestling. Finally the WWE starting to showcase wrestling. A novel concept, a wrestling show with wrestling.

The "Stand Up for WWE" campaign has gotten a lot of positive and negative publicity. I've read plenty either way. I'm all for opinions, especially when I'm given free reign to write whatever the hell I want on this blog for BBSD. I respect others opinions even if they are different. I've been called a WWE homer (so true and I admit it). I don't think WWE does enough for the men and women who go out night after night and bust their ass. However, I still stand up for WWE. They do a ton for charities, make a wish and for our troops. What other event gives troops free tickets? Kids love the wrestlers and see them as heroes. The wrestlers respect that and most are great role models. I get why people believe this is stupid. I can even see wrestling fans saying, "I wouldn't stand up for WWE. I hate the PG era or etc..." What I don't understand is people who hate wrestling would bother talking up the campaign. I hate Nascar, MMA and reality TV shows, hence the reason you never see me write on those topics. If you don't like something you would never defend it. I love professional wrestling and will defend many aspects. If Vince McMahon knocked on my door and offered me a $100,000 contract to work for him. I'd ask if he had a pin and where to sign. I think a lot of folks, even haters, would sign if they were put in the same situation. Ask a buddy that same question, unless he makes more than $100,000 or simply loves his job, and says no, stone cold stun him. I give you permission. I wrote all of that during the fillers and the Diva match. They really helped Melina on that one. Laycool benefits, nothing for Natalya. Great job.

We now return to the regularly scheduled Raw blog. Miz in ring promo was quality. I thought Eve held her own. I'd like to see more of Truth and Miz. These two have no where to go after Bragging Rights. Miz could sit on that briefcase until April and Truth hasn't been in a real anything since coming from Smack. The match was solid for a TV match. I'm always wondering why the little stories don't develop more often. They help the show immensely. I hope that's the start and not the finish to Truth and Miz. Hell might have froze over with two matches given time to develop and provided quality ring work.

I said it about Miz and how he has no place to go. Enter the Irish Ghost. He has had nothing and I don't need to see a tiny feud with Santino. Kozlof and Santino should continue as a tag and enter the title picture. Thankfully, Morrison is another guy with no home. I didn't think I'd be saying this: Raw needs Triple H. We have to many heels and not enough faces. I like Morrison and Sheamus since I thought that was squashed. Trips can come back and be a big time face. Morrison should be elevated into the main event scene. Yes, I, the so called Morrison hater, just wrote that. My only concern is Sheamus can't be made to look weak at Morrison's expense. If this is going to happen, it needs to be a long feud with several matches where both men win. A one and done helps neither.

Harris and McGillicuty in Nexus is a bigger deal then it was made of on Raw. They are going to be on TV each week and should wrestle. I like both men and see a bright future for both talented individuals. Again, the problem is nobody is on the roster to feud with them.

Main event time with roles reversed from Sunday. The ending wasn't shocking and I think everyone saw it coming. Barrett costs Orton the match by clotheslining Cena. Cena is now the ref. The interesting part was the stipulation added by Wade. Cena is done with Nexus if Barrett wins. I like it. Survivor Series could finally be the time Cena turns on everyone. He could help Wade and do it with gusto and a smile. The WWE hasn't done enough with Orton since winning the title. He won it a few ppvs ago and has barely been seen. The odds need to be stacked against the Viper. You can write Orton as champ like when Austin was champ. Orton could start going off, beating up guys on Nexus to where the GM gets pissed. Then, use his power to place Orton in unfavorable positions. An Orton Cena match doesn't build Orton as a face. Sheamus may not be the biggest heel but he helped get the crowd behind Randy. Barrett could as well if written correctly. Miz is the other guy. Orton needs to be put in improbable situations and somehow survive. A cheap ass win in his 2nd title defense wasn't that build. Orton will gain momentum once Miz cashes in or Cena turns. Orton can be a great champion but WWE dropped the ball. You need him to chase again. My biggest gripe is still the WWE title taking a backseat to Cena Nexus. I'll say the match between Orton and Cena was ok for TV. We don't normally see guys kick out of their finishers on free matches. Perhaps, Orton was suppose to be shown tough by kicking out. No shock at the ending as I said before. It works in Orton's favor if Cena turns or has to help Barrett. The fans need to sympathize with Orton not Cena. They can do that with ease at Survivor Series.

Raw had 3, yes 3 quality matches. I'd love that to be the average and not a one time deal. I had hopes Raw would turnaround after Bragging Rights. It seems we are headed in the right direction 1 day after. WWE should continue down this path. Keep giving us wrestling and not drama. Provide us with stories and a reason to tune in week after week. You see how things started to become simplified. One on one feuds with Miz and Truth, Sheamus and Morrison, Barrett and Orton are so easy to set up and move forward. You don't need complexities. WWE writers seem to over think things to often. I'll be a happy WWE blogger if WWE continues to provide the basics and wrestling.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com