Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Raw 10-18

The WWE continues to push two stories, Cena Nexus and Team Raw vs. Smack. I know Taker and Kane is up there but not as much as the other two. Those two stories have dominated WWE TV. I've said my peace with the Bragging Rights teams, they are worthless and waste of time. I hate this pay per view. I'll give credit to Smackdown since Ziggler and Edge had a beautiful match and Rey Rhodes was second. Raw was an eh last week. The rumor mill is flying high on one particular star on Smackdown. Before we get to Raw, let's discuss Montel Vontavius Porter, MVP.

Rumors had MVP contemplating retirement. I don't believe every rumor, this one seems to have legs. MVP has floated in the mediocrity pool for several months. WWE seems relentless on what to do. The rumors state WWE worries about Porter's past since he was in jail for many years. They also feed on that story to show how he's changed. They worry about the public if he had a big run as champ. Even though, MVP is the longest reigning United States Champion in WWE history. Let me tell you something, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, you of all people should know America is built on 2nd chances and redemption. Michael Vick and Big Ben in the NFL have done their time and we as fans forget and move on. Stop caring about what the hell the public thinks. MVP should be pushed to take on Ziggler. Smack needs him and MVP works hard. This is ridiculous to question whether to push him because of his past. Vince is suppose to have balls the size of grapefruits. Now he's to damn soft. Since the WWE went public and hit the stock market, they went to pudding. Oooh what will the public think about..? Please Shut the hell up! Put the best product you can and push boundaries. We are never going to get the attitude era. I'm fine with that. But if the E is worried about what the public truly felt, then read this: Stop being pussies and push who deserves it. MVP deserves a spot against Ziggler and a solid mid-card spot. While we are on the subject, once Christian comes back don't put him in losing situations. For example, toss him in the Rumble, lose and follow that up with a loss at Mania in the MITB match. We older fans respect the men that put it all on the line back in the late '90s and early 2000's. I can deal with kiddie crap as long as your reaching me with smart story lines and pushing the right guys. You can do both. You're just to lazy.

Wow, ok we can move on. I feel better. Raw kicked off with a bit of a surprise when Teddy Long opened the show. The banter between Long and Cole would have been better if Long told Cole, he doesn't belong on Smackdown. The show was fine before he came over. I liked Teddy taken over. What's a CPU going to do? Raw was full of surprises as Big Zeke is named the final participant on Team Raw. That's a great way to bring him back. I still don't care. I'm all for quality matches though. Smack will likely have some member vs. member matches which is what Raw should have done. As I mentioned, Edge and Ziggler was the best match on TV and the show opened with Rhodes and Rey. I continue to say Smack is better than Raw. The wrestling quality is far beyond Raw.

Drew and Rhodes are good tag team champions. They have really shined now that they have been given a ton of exposure. The WWE must have nothing else for the Dynasty to do. They will break up, feud with each other and then drift away. Where the hell was Bret? Raw was in his hometown and he couldn't make an on air appearance. Apparently, he made an off the air appearance and slapped the Sharpshooter on Wendy.

Speaking of Bret, that brings me to ShowStoppers segment 2 topic this week. They were exploring the top 5 wrestling regrets we would stop. Now, if I had a time machine, I'd keep Bret from signing with WCW. You can hear the rest of my list on SS except my number 1. You, my loyal reader, get that right here. My number one would be stopping Vince from buying WCW. Maybe I should say tell Ted Turner to sell it to anyone other than VKM. The merger ruined the wrestling world. WCW's linage would continue, another cable company would have picked them up and kept things going. I admit WCW needed to clean house. New company, new writers and some new talent. WWE needs competition and a revamped WCW would have been bigger competition than TNA. In fact, had WCW not gone under, TNA would be ECW of today. The wrestling world hasn't been the same and continues on the down hill path. For your information, I wrote all of that during the Dibiase Goldie segment. They have ruined Dibiase and stole what very little credibility Ryder had left. Nothing more to say than that. Did you notice Cole said the Show Miz match has been confirmed? How the hell are matches being confirmed when the Raw GM is unplugged. He said it later in the night too. Nothing like stupidity.

You saw on Raw what I have meant by the WWE title being slighted for Team vs. Team. Orton Cena tag match against McGillicuty (Change his freaking name) and Husky Harris could have easily ended the show. Orton and Barrett haven't even had 1 promo together. They were face to face for a minute two weeks ago. The positive is Harris and McGillicuty got TV time. Husky reminds me a lot of Umaga. Big guy, big body and very agile with good wrestling presence. I couldn't help but wonder if the entire Raw roster was taking a nap while Orton was getting his ass handed to him. Then I realized, they can't do anything they are tied up with this lame ass team concept.

The end with Barrett hitting Wasteland or whatever the hell its called was nice. Orton looks helpless and give Nexus the upper hand. I still wish Orton would have nailed Barrett with an RKO last week. Tonight would have meant more if he had attacked or done something to Barrett. This whole build has been what will Cena do. I don't care. I just don't care. Barrett go the final push on Raw so more than likely the Viper is going to win on Sunday and perhaps extract some revenge Friday night.

I'm starting to develop love for Ziggler. He's funny on the mic and his in ring skills continue to improve. Ziggler and Byran might steal the show Sunday. Seriously, a classic one on one wrestling match, given time will be a potential show stealer and match of the year candidate. Maybe Nexus will ruin that freaking match too. Bryan showed he has some personality. I laughed at his bad white guy dance moves. (Sadly, I have those same moves). Bryan is better than what the WWE has done with him since winning the U.S. title. There is no reason he shouldn't be winning matches and having a feud. He could have been put with Ryder until this week and then set up the IC vs. U.S. match. Once we get passed this horrible pay per view, Bryan and Punk! PLEASE Please make this match WWE. For the love of wrestling god, I want to see a long Punk Bryan feud.

The WWE may screwed things up with the Dynasty, they are making the most of Natalya. She can wrestle and she's starting to look very strong. At first, I was hesitant because they didn't do enough with LayCool. Now, I'm enjoying the story and would love to see them cap it off with a title victory at Bragging Rights. Call me part Canadian because I wanted Layla locked in the Sharpshooter to end the segment. They have teased and teased us with it and Sunday should be the pay off.

I was fine with Miz and Show going at it. I didn't like it finished the show and then Teddy changed it to a battle royal. Ok, a gimmick to end Raw. Why couldn't that been announced? Once Edge and Miz were outside, I figured one of them would win. Smackdown might have someone turn on them this year. They shouldn't win back to back years. I do like Edge and Show being strong. I knew Smackdown would use Edge correctly. If Edge wants to eliminate everything stupid, he'd break that stupid trophy. Again, I'm just not into the story. You may be and a lot of other people are probably with you. My opinion isn't going to change.

I can't wait for next Monday and this stupid ppv to be over. I like cross promoting (We do it on BBSD a lot) but not team vs. team. Raw still lacked a quality contest. Orton Cena tag was ok. I've grown tired of seeing Cena four times in one show. I have a feeling Sunday won't solve anything and the story will continue. I'll have my picks later in the week. Listen to SS for my other wrestling regrets. I'll catch up with you later in the week.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com