Thursday, April 29, 2010

Good Ole' JR

The latest news in wrestling is Jim Ross's contract is up and the WWE will not be renewing his deal. The best wrestling, perhaps in all of sports, announcer is going to hang up the black hat. I am deeply saddened and pissed off by the news. I don't understand why you would let the best announcer walk away and a guy like Matt Striker or Michael Cole have jobs. Jim may end up at TNA or other side projects. With the news and an uncertain future, I felt compelled to write my idol a personal letter directed to him.

Dear Good Ole' JR,

I heard the WWE is not going to renew your contract and your time in the wrestling industry could very well come to an end. You have probably heard it before by some of the biggest names in wrestling but it should be said from this moment on, Jim Ross is the greatest announcer wrestling has ever had and most likely ever will have. Your relationship with the wrestlers was showcased by your brilliant calls. I could name a ton of moments I can remember and never forget. Most of my memories come from the "Austin Era". You and Steve had a relationship one could only dream about. I have heard many stories where Steve said you were the one that put him on top of the wrestling world. The thing I admired the most about your announcing was how you could tell the story to the fans.

We all witnessed some instant classic with beautiful storytelling during the match. You would always understand the story and illustrate it to us. The most important thing is you never took away from the story. You enhanced it. The announcers today have not learned that which hurts the wrestling product. You knew what to say and how to say it or you knew when to stay quiet and let us enjoy the moment. Great broadcasters have learned the art and you painted the most beautiful paintings.

The other thing I want to say is you always saw the potential in wrestlers even when they didn't. You always said Shelton Benjamin was the best pure athlete in the WWE. I couldn't argue that point. Shelton displayed how good he can be during the Money in the Bank matches. However, he never fully understood "it". I'm not an insider and I have no idea your relationship with Shelton. I do think he should have listened to you a little closer because he could have been something special. I always admired your honesty during any of your broadcasts and the insight you gave us.

You can not be replaced. I know the WWE has tried to move you to different shows and different partners, it never mattered. You were the main attraction at the table. I am not sure if you will come back to the WWE or sign with TNA or stay retired. All I know is, no one can wear the black hat you have left behind. Thank you for the wonderful memories. I wish you nothing but the best in your future.

One of many true wrestling fans,
Joel McCall

P.S Can I get Vince McMahon's number? I thought I would ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com