Thursday, April 22, 2010

NFL Draft Breakdown

The NFL draft is the best draft of any sport. I always enjoyed waking up Saturday morning, getting all my snacks and never leaving the couch. I hate the primetime slot and think it ruined the whole feel of the draft. I know going into the draft my team will screw up their number eighth pick. The worst feeling the draft gives fans is hope. I have little hope for my team but I do have hope for others. Forget the freaking mocks, give me the real deal.

1) St. Louis Rams - Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma
The one that makes the most sense is Bradford going to the Rams. The Rams have a ton of holes and in the perfect world would have traded down. I like Sam, obviously because I am a Boomer Sooner. The pick works if Sam doesn't start right away.

2) Detriot Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska
3) Tampa Bay Bucs - Gerald McCoy, DT Oklahoma
Both teams get who they wanted. I like Suh a little more than McCoy and think both will make an immediate impact for their respective teams. Suh is a load and will change the landscape of the Lions defense. McCoy is being compared to Warren Sapp, I'm not sure we should go that far. McCoy will be a starter for the Bucs for years to come.

4) Washington Redskins - Trent Williams, OT Oklahoma
I might be a homer for Oklahoma and love their players. I thought Okung would have been a better pick here. The Redskins should have drafted Okung to protect McNabb right away. I thought for sure we would have had a trade here. I am waiting for some excitement. So far, it's been going pretty standard.

5) Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Berry, S Tennessee
Yes Eric is a great player with comparisons to Ed Reed and Polamalu. My question is who the hell protects Cassell? I would have rather seen Okung go here and protect Cassell for years to come. Perhaps the Chiefs will take Campbell from Maryland in the second round and develop him. For now, Berry is a game changing Safety. I just wouldn't take a Safety that high with an elite tackle on the board.

6) Seattle Seahawks - Russell Okung, OT OK St.
14) Earl Thomas, S Texas
Is Pete Carroll a good pro coach? I doubt it but he was smart with this pick. I like Okung and feel this was the perfect guy for Seattle. They still need to address the quarterback spot because Hasselback has very little left in the tank. Charlie Whitehurst isn't the answer either. I thought with their 14th pick they would look at Clausen. I love Earl Thomas and what he brings to the Seattle defense. I thought he would have gone to Philly at thirteen. I liked what Seattle did with their two first round picks.

7) Cleveland Browns - Joe Haden, CB Fla
A complete reach here at the seven spot. Earl Thomas was the better choice. Jimmy Clausen would have been funnier than hell after shipping off Brady Quinn. I found that to be the first blunder of the night.

8) Oakland Raiders - Rolando McClain, ILB Alabama
I couldn't be happier with this pick. He is a smart football player and that is exactly what the Raiders need. A guy that will play right away and will make an impact. I finally wasn't pissed about the Raiders first round pick.

9) Buffalo Bills - CJ Spiller, RB Clemson
I was confused about the Spiller pick. He can come in and play right away. The Bills need to move Lynch or Jackson now. The pick was Jimmy Clausen and the Bills should have pulled the trigger. Who the hell is going to open holes for Spiller?

10) Jacksonville Jaguars - Tyson Alualu, DT California
The 2010 Al Davis reach of the NFL draft goes to the Jags. Who the hell is this guy? I know Jacksonville liked Spiller and he was taking. The worst pick so far goes to Jaguars. Dan Williams was the better prospect.

11) San Francisco - Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers
12) San Diego - Ryan Matthews, RB Fresno State
13) Philadelphia - Brandon Graham, DE Michigan
Our first moves of the night. San Fran didn't have to move up to get Davis. Miami wasn't going to take him and neither was Denver especially after seeing all the moves. I do like Davis and think he will play along side Joe Staley for years to come. San Diego did have to move up to get Matthews. The Chargers needed another back to complement Sproles and had they not moved up, Houston would have taken him at number 20. I loved the Eagles moving up to get Earl Thomas. Instead, they shocked me by taking Brandon Graham. A good player but they gave up quite a bit to move up. They must have loved him to give up so much to get him. I would praise Philly had they taken Earl Thomas since I saw him as a top ten talent.

15) New York Giants - Jason Pierre Paul, DL South Florida
16) Tennessee Titans - Derrick Morgan, DE Georgia Tech
Back to back d-line picks. Paul is a project and if there was a team he fit its the Giants. The Giants needed a lot of help on the defense. I am not sold on Paul being an immediate starter for the team. He could be a passing down player for the first year. The picks should have been switched. Giants could have had Morgan a step in and play player instead of a project. Tennessee got the better of the two picks.

17) San Francisco - Mike Iupati, OG Idaho
I have to question the niners. Singletary must have a lot of trust in Alex Smith. I like Iupati and think he is going to be a good player. I am not sold on Smith so I would have taken Clausen. San Fran should be set on the o-line for years to come after this draft.

18) Pittsburgh - Maurkice Pouncey, OL Fla
No surprise here. The best pick Pitt could make. I can't say much about this pick because I saw it coming.

19) Atlanta - Sean Weatherspoon, OLB Misso
20) Houston - Kareem Jackson, CB Bama
I liked Sergio Kindle over Weatherspoon. Sean is a good player and should start. I felt Kindle was the better player to take for a team who need a linebacker. Houston simply drafted for a need and that was perfect. They have needed secondary help for years and with Dunta Robinson gone, corner was the position most desirable.

21) Cincinatti Bengals - Jermaine Gresham, TE OU
22) Denver - Denaryius Thomas, WR Georgia Tech
Thank god because had Gresham gone to New England, I would have a hard time rooting for him. I like Gresham obviously. He's got skills and will be a security blanket for Carson. Denver is the most puzzling team in the first round. I understand they had questions about Dez and think he was a lot like Brandon Marshall. Dez is the better receiver. Stupid pick and if you are a Bronco fan you should be pissed.

23) Green Bay - Bryan Bulaga, OT Iowa
24) Dallas - Dez Bryant, WR Ok St
Bulaga's stock fell and went to the team that needed an offensive tackle badly. Bryan should help the offensive line right away. I hope he turns out better than Robert Gallery. Dallas gets another weapon for Romo. I hate the Cowboys but this is a great player. Dez could turn into the next Michael Irvin and will take all the pressure off the terrible wide receiver Roy Williams. Jerry admits he made a mistake and rectifies it by getting Bryant. Good move.

25) Denver - Tim Tebow, QB Fla
I, unlike all media stations, won't suck up to Tim Tebow. I would write something a lot worst but I try to be a PG writer. Tebow is not a good qb and is no where near Clausen in being ready for the pros. Tebow will fail as a QB. I am a doubter and will continue to be one until Tebow proves it on the field. The biggest reach by Denver since Maurice Clarett.

26) Arizona Cardinals - Dan Williams, DT Tennessee
27) New England - Devin McCourty, CB Rutgers
I love it. Dan was a top 15 talent and getting him here was a steal. He's a solid player and will fill the need Dansby left behind. New England should have taken Kindle. They needed a cornerback but I liked Kindle better. New England always finds talent and must have saw something in McCourty.

28) Miami - Jared Odrick, DT Penn State
29) New York Jets - Kyle Wilson, CB Boise St.
I like the pick by the Dolphins. They moved down and still got a great player. Incredible pick by the Jets. Cromartie, Revis and now Wilson to cover anyone and everyone they match up against. I thought for sure it would be Kindle to help Gholston since he's a bust.

30) Detriot - Jahvid Best, RB Cali
31) Indianapolis - Jerry Hughes, OLB TCU
32) New Orleans - Patrick Robinson, CB FSU
I love this pick for Detriot. He can run on the turf and can make some moves. The Lions get a fun running back along with Suh. I like the Lions draft. Colts take the need. Jerry should get to play on the opposite side of Dwight Freeney. I can't believe the Saints were the final pick. I am still in shock they won the Super Bowl. The Madden jinx might him them soon with Brees voted for the cover. The Saints reached on the final pick. I was happy to hear Steve Young say Sergio Kindle for the 90th time before their pick. I thought Griffen would have been the better pick and another guy to get to the quarterback.

I had a blast giving my opinions on all the 1st round draft picks. I loved all the moves and surprises, another reason why the NFL draft is the best draft in all of sports. The 2nd and 3rd round is going to be even crazier with McCoy and Clausen still on the board. I can't wait and it should be said one more time: The Raiders didn't screw up the pick. YES!!

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com