Monday, April 5, 2010

Raw 4-5

The WWE will never let me down when it comes to story lines. The Swagger segment last week on Raw was great and could have been a continuing theme. In one week, the WWE screwed everything up. Swagger is now the World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown. I'm stuck watching Cena and Batista on Raw for the WWE title. Luckily, Randy Orton saves me every week on Raw. Tonight, one of the NXT guys, David Otunga gets to show off his skills as the GM of Raw. I want to see how Sheamus and HHH will keep their momentum going. Also, the whole show needs to keep the momentum going after a solid week.

I don't always have something to talk about in the first paragraph and you would think I said enough last week on my Monday Night War blog. I need to say something about the upcoming pay per view, Extreme Rules. The WWE started all of these gimmick shows because they wanted to have a different feel to their shows. I think it was a great idea and has worked with some concepts. Extreme Rules was the one gimmick show I looked forward to because I like the hardcore matches. The WWE has gone all PG on us now. My question is how the hell is Extreme Rules going to be different with no blood and no chair shots to the head? I understand the chair shots to the head because that is very dangerous. In contrast, a suplex is dangerous. The WWE didn't need to go from one (pardon the pun) extreme to another. I like a little blood and any no DQ or no holds barred match is going to feel weak on the show without it. Come on WWE, give us what we want to see!! Even if it is for one night only.

I may not have liked how it happened with Swagger becoming the World Heavyweight Championship, I do like the WWE giving the young talent the push. Swagger looked the part on Raw with a very elegant suit. I understand having Cena come out and even Orton. I didn't fully understand why the tag champs came out. I will say Otunga has quite a bit of charisma. I liked the match with Orton and Swagger. I don't like Cena and Batista tagging up. We have seen that to many times and my bet is Batista walks out during the match. The ending to the segment really pissed me off. Orton is the hottest star and is getting everyone to cheer for him. Cena is the biggest face and all the kids get behind him. You don't have Orton try and RKO him. You don't to keep the kids liking Orton. I swear the WWE will screw up the easiest face turn in history because Vince doesn't want a star bigger than Cena.

Speaking of screwing pushes up, Kofi Kingston has been buried since the Orton feud. He gets a match with the hottest Raw up and comer, Sheamus. I'm not sure what Kofi did to have his luck turn the other way. I hope he gets to go to Smackdown during the draft. It's clear Raw will never use him correctly. Kofi wasn't even competitive in the match. I like Sheamus and his push. I also know that he can be effective and pushed without burying other mid card wrestlers. I hope after Sheamus's attack to Kofi with a pipe, leads to a hiatus for Kofi so he can rebuild his character.

The best thing about Shawn being gone is no more DX. You hate me for saying that I know. I like "The Game" and "The Cerebral Assassin". Triple H is back to the attitude era old school Triple H. The feud continues to be one of the best on Raw in quite sometime. The match at Extreme Rules should be a falls count anywhere, then they can use their weapon of choice and beat the crap out of each other around the arena.

The Divas get another stupid ass gimmick battle royal. The WWE keeps showing how they have no damn clue what to do with their women. Gail Kim should have been the winner. Maryse and Kim have yet to have a solid match that last a long time. Eve isn't worth the Diva title. I think it is almost time for me to stop writing about the Divas on Raw altogether.

David Otunga does have a bright future in the WWE. He has a good look, mic skills and charisma. The thing is the whole I'm better than you persona will only last for a while. I guess fans will always boo him when he talks crap like that. Daniel Bryan has the best future on the NXT roster. The guy can flat out wrestle. He hasn't had a chance to showcase the mic skills. He showed in the first week against Chris Jericho that he is a keeper.

I thought the WWE was going to start pushing the Harty Dynasty and have them with feud with the tag champs. No continuation on Smackdown after the champs walked away last week on Raw. Cryme tyme broke up on Smackdown to take away another tag team in the WWE. The WWE does the complete opposite of what they use to do with the tag belts. The established tag teams on the roster could be counted on one hand. ShowMiz, Hart Dynasty, Morrison and Truth and the two youngsters Trent and Croft. The WWE needs to bring in some actual tag teams and start establishing them. I called Batista walking out and I have a feeling Otunga won't be a great partner for Cena either.

I love Dibiase bringing back the Million Dollar belt. Teddy is going to start getting major heat by running down his dad. He seems to be honing his skills on the mic. I wrote about how Christian and Dibiase should be feuding for the US title last week. If the feud can get a little personal and maybe Dibiase will put up the Million Dollar belt, I would like to see the Christian Dibiase feud continue. The two matches so far have been very competitive and entertaining. Since after Raw they are tied at one win a piece, it only makes sense to have a rubber match at Extreme Rules.

The World Heavyweight Champion Jack Swagger is hard to fathom. He should have a match with both Edge and Jericho at Extreme Rules. If the WWE wants to make him look like a strong champion, having him defeat Jericho, Orton and then Jericho and Edge in the same match in a matter of weeks is a giant first step. I wish Swagger had some different in ring attire. He looks to much like Kurt Angle. Orton and Swagger put on another quality in ring contest. I would have liked to see Swagger win. He could have cheated to win and wouldn't have hurt Orton. Either way, the match was a great match and could we possibly seeing Orton leave Raw soon when the draft comes around.

The tag champs out twice and Cena three times. I guess the WWE knows how much I love Cena. ShowMiz has started to get over with the crowd and being looked at as a legit tag team. I think it would be wise to get the US title off of Miz though. Isn't there a claus that says you have to defend your title after so many weeks? You would think Miz is getting close to that deadline. The belt means nothing when he is used only as a tag team champion. I knew Otunga would leave Cena hanging. Both times were to predictable. Batista with the Batista bomb and the stipulation for their match at Extreme Rules. They will be having a last man standing match. I like the stipulation if Cena weren't in the same match one year ago with Edge. Batista was in a cage last year so that should have been ruled out as well. The problem is with all these gimmick pay per views, the stipulation matches are going to get stale. I hope it's the send off for the damn feud.

Another week where I will shake my head a little bit. We got some great in ring performances by Orton Swagger and Dibiase Christian in their matches. However, we didn't see MVP or Bourne. I guess I can't have everything. I don't care for David Hasselhoff hosting next week. I understand why he is the host since the WWE will be in London. I wonder if Regal will win the US title. He always wins something when he is over there. Be sure to check out the TNA blog by Wasp on the blog page. Also Showstoppers will be back for another week of quality wrestling talk. I will be taking the rest of the week off. I will catch you next week for another Raw blog.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com