Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Dead Zone

I think most people already know I am a huge Oakland Raider fan since I have written about them several different times. If you want to know what being a Raider fan is like, watch Weekend at Bernies and Groundhog Day at the same time. Same thing happens every year only a dead guy is running the show. I wanted to write about the speculations of McNabb becoming a Raider. He was on the main page of BBSD yesterday and he wants to go anywhere but Oakland. I have been on many Raider websites and message boards and for the most part every fan is ready for McNabb to be in Oakland. I know it's hard to believe but I am in the minority again.

First off, I have to say I like McNabb a lot. I talked about him last year on John and I's Sports show because I wanted McNabb to be the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings. Furthermore, I wrote my very first blog on McNabb and how the fans of Philly didn't deserve him. I still believe that to this day. My opinion about Donovan has not wavered in the slightest. He's an excellent leader and has become an All-Star in the NFL. Oakland would be very lucky to have him and perhaps teach the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell about what it takes to be a great QB in the NFL.

The biggest problem with the trade is if he doesn't want to be there then don't bring him in. I don't know many players stepping up and telling Crazy Al to sign them unless they want to steal more money from Al. If you are not fully commited to something, the effort suffers. McNabb isn't commited to "just win baby" because you don't win in Oakland. He wants to go somewhere he can actually win games and even a chance for a championship. I believe Donovan has a chance to do all that in several locations. I don't have Oakland on that list. The best places McNabb could go is Arizona, Minnesota and Carolina. Yes, I have Carolina on my list. You can laugh all you want. The team doesn't have a QB right now that should be starting in the NFL. I am not sold on McCown or Matt Moore. Minnesota won't do anything because they are playing the Favre game. I can see Arizona making that leap since Leinhart hasn't proved anything. Matt has been stuck behind a Hall of Fame QB, Kurt Warner, I don't care about that. I can't see Leinhart doing anything except sucking next year.

I know McNabb's contract is worry some for owners. He has only one year left and who knows if there will be an NFL season next year. He would be one and done in Oakland or he would be franchise tagged by Mr. Davis. Now, depending on where you read reports, an early second round pick can get you McNabb. Are the Raiders ever smart with their draft picks? No, not even close. If they were, they would trade the 8th pick and move down and add another 1st round pick for next years. It won't happen because it's a great move. I know one thing is certain, the Raiders won't make any great or even good moves between now and the draft.

As a Raider fan, having McNabb would be fun. I even wrote about a scenario where Oakland traded a 2nd and a 5th for McNabb in my Black Hole blog back in January. He would be a huge upgrade for the team. He could bring leadership and fill the biggest need Oakland has had since Rich Gannon. The reason my opinion has changed is because I don't want him to suffer. Donovan is a good player with only a few years left. He shouldn't suffer those remaining good years. I would feel bad as opposed to when Moss was a Raider and bitched the entire time. I didn't feel bad for Moss because he is a bitch. I think if McNabb were to be traded, he would try and make it work. The thing is the situation won't work. Oakland is beyond the Dead Zone of the NFL.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com