Monday, March 29, 2010

Raw 3-29 Let the New Season Begin

Wrestlemania has come and gone. With Mania now behind us, it is time for the WWE to start a whole new season. I know it never ends but that's how Wrestlemania feels. New story lines start brewing, some wrestlers start getting a brand new push and some get the dreaded future endeavors. I look forward to what Raw will bring us tonight. I want something new and exciting and nothing to do with John Cena and Batista. Before I get started with a new season of Raw, I want to look back at Wrestlemania one more time.

I know some people didn't care for Wrestlemania. I liked the show but it had some flaws. I am a huge Hart homer and even I thought the match with Vince went to long. I thought Legacy and Orton was a solid contest and I hope it's not the last we see of these three men in the ring. Triple H still proved at Mania, he can help elevate the young talent. I hated Cena winning but I would have said the same thing if Batista won. I will say their match didn't suck as bad as Goldberg Lesner at XX. The one match I wanted more of was Edge and Jericho. I thought it fell short of my expectations. The biggest screw job of the night was Christian not winning Money in the Bank. He deserved it more than anyone and should start to get a push. I hope he can take the briefcase from Swagger. Of course the finale was the best match and everyone knew it would be. HBK and Taker may not have topped last years match. I don't think they ever could have either. Overall, I would give Wrestlemania a 7.5 out of 10. Alright, time to move forward to a new season of the WWE.

The new season started out with familiar faces. I wanted a fresh new story line, however Cena and Batista is not it. If the WWE did something different like Cena talked about, then I wouldn't have had to watch that first segment. I did like Swagger showing up and almost cashing in his briefcase. I hope that becomes a running theme. Swagger acts like he will cash in and then doesn't. I may not like Swagger winning, if the writing is done right I will change my opinion.

As a wrestling historian, I never have a problem with some old school wrestlers showing up on the broadcast. Christian and Dibiase would be the perfect feud for the United States title. Think about it, they both need a fresh start and a big push. I say a great way to do that is drop the US title off Miz and give it to one of those two men. The US title has been buried anyway so it works for everyone involved including the title. The feud looks even better after a very solid in ring performance by both men. I know you could say the match wasn't long enough. You could say that about a lot of matches on Raw. I thought they did a good job for a nice tease for something down the line. Also with Dibiase comes his dad and possibly being added to a story line. They both should get a push on Raw.

Triple H speech was nice. The speech was made even better with the interuption of Sheamus. He has to be in the lime light still and looks like the push is continuing. Sheamus is starting to grow on me. I like the way they are using him and keeping him with Triple H is a very good thing. Trips makes everyone look better and the kid needs to take his lumps. I hope this will lead to another match at Extreme Rules and the Irish Ghost picks up the victory.

The Diva match at Wrestlemania was worthless and the match at Raw was even more worthless. The WWE continues to piss me off with their women. I'm serious. The women can wrestle. They aren't just for looks any more. Hell I will take the generic five minute match then the crap they have pulled in the last two nights. Beth Phoenix is one of the best right now and is never used correctly. I don't get it and never will.

I know for a fact that both Showstoppers host hated the Bret Vince match at Wrestlemania. The match was ugly and went to long. I bet there isn't a day that goes by that Bret doesn't think about Owen. The whole thing was to give Bret a nice send off and finish a story that started thirteen years ago. Finally the WWE gave the Hart Dynasty a push by using Bret. The finish was weak and should end up start a nice feud with the two tag teams. I would like to hope so because the tag team titles should be showcased with real tag teams and not two wrestlers thrown together.

I thought it would be Kofi as Cena's partner. I was pleasantly surprised with Orton tagging up with Cena. I have said it and I will continue to say Randy Orton is the man that I tune into seeing every single week on Raw. The crowd is getting behind Orton now and the face turn is near complete. The hot tag to Orton made it all the better. His character continues to become the hottest thing on Raw. I don't know how the WWE will use Orton in the future. I thought the tag match hurt Swagger. On the flip side, it helped Batista Cena feud and really helped Orton get over with the fans by tagging up with Cena, even it didn't make sense because of their history. I look forward to seeing the next feud for Orton.

I couldn't believe they had Taker come out before Shawn even spoke a word. Taker didn't need to say anything because the tip of the hat said it all. I take pride in writing every week because of guys like Shawn Michaels. Shawn is the greatest in ring wrestler of all time. He has passed Ric Flair, even with a shorter career. I guess Shawn read my blog because I thought he was going to be coming back some day. I still believe he will sometime. I had chills down my spine when Shawn talked about his friendship with Bret. I can't put into words how great of a moment this was on Raw. A great classy farewell by one of the best of all time.

This may not be the right time to say it. Hell it's my blog and I will say whatever the hell I want. How in the blue hell could TNA top that ending? I'll steal a line from Vince McMahon, no chance in hell. The send off was nice and a perfect moment. You couldn't top that with anything. The overall Raw may not have been great, it had moments. The WWE is moving forward with some story lines while trying to finish up a few others. I have a wait and see mentality with Swagger being in main event matches. I will have more on TNA and the WWE later in the week on Thursday morning. I will address all this talk about TNA and the monday night war that is happening. As far as tonight goes, RAW WINS RAW WINS!!!

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com