Thursday, June 3, 2010

Remember Griffey

I believe it's safe to say America has ADD. I know that sounds harsh. The best way I can describe way I can show you is by looking back at the latest in the sports world. We all saw what happened to Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce. A perfect game is hard to come by and we could have saw history with 3 in one year. However that should not have overshadowed one of the biggest and greatest stars of our generation retiring.

Ken Griffey Junior will go down as one of the greatest Center fielders in baseball history. We all look at the negatives to often in life. Ken is the perfect example. Fans continue to ask the what ifs from his career. What if he didn't get hurt in Cincinnati? What if he never left Seattle? The what ifs are irrelevant. Stop talking about the what ifs. The truth is Ken Griffey Jr. should be hoisted high on top of the baseball mountain along with guys like Ruth, Mays and Mantle.

Griffey's career was in the height of the steroid era. His prime should have been during the home run chase with Sosa and McGwire. Ken never failed a steroid test. I would be shocked if his name was on any of those lists who tested positive. The what ifs could be answered had Griffey juiced up. He didn't break all kinds of baseball records. Ken didn't get to 700 home runs. He did win 10 golden gloves. He did have one of the greatest swings in baseball. He passed 600 home runs. He was the kid that made people second guess Willie Mays as the best Center fielder in baseball history. Finally he is gold standard for any center fielder ever to lace up the cleats from now on.

I will always remember Griffey for three things: his swing, love for the game and being one of my brother's favorite players of all time. He emulated his swing when my brother played baseball in high school. One more quick story and we will get to Game 1 of the Finals. My brother wanted the infamous Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Rookie card when he was younger. He had a friend who had that very card. My brother traded an entire Bowman baseball card set for the Junior rookie card. I don't know the values today. I do remember the Bowman set never went up while the Junior card sky rocketed.

The NBA Finals got off to a chippy start. Twenty seconds into the game Ron Artest and Paul Pierce received double technicals. Not deservedly never the less they got them. I guess that is how this series is going to be played. Very tight. I know there have been many debates about legacies, where to rank Kobe and rivalries.

We can all breakdown numbers and talk about rivalries. I get tired of everyone bringing up Kobe and MJ in the same sentence. The debate is simple. Kobe has been the best overall player since Michael took off his shoes for good. You can make arguments for Kobe. However, the biggest thing is MJ was the Finals MVP every year they won the title. Kobe played second fiddle to Shaq for three years. What happened during those years without Shaq? He struggled to get them out of the first round. I also look back a few years ago when LA was up on the Suns 3-1 and lost the series. Jordan never failed to close a team out. Kobe no showed in Game 6 of the 08 Finals. MJ didn't do that either. Kobe is a great player and possible top ten. He will never get to the top two with MJ and Russell.

I won't break down Game 1. The match ups were predictable with Kobe guarding Rondo instead of Ray. I think every fan wants a tough long series. My plan was to have a preview earlier in the week but something came up. The two teams are about even but I think the Lakers have the edge. The luck of the Irish may have finally ended for Boston. Boston makes it back to LA for Game 6 where Kobe gets his fifth ring.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com