Monday, May 31, 2010

Raw 5-31

Last weeks Raw had to much filler but was a decent show. Questions about Randy Orton's health is still lingering. So far, I have heard he will make the pay per view next month. I'll be honest, I couldn't recall the guest host for Raw, Ashton Kutcher. I am sick of the guest host thing. We have a GM and now the host does one little skit and leaves. I guess that is better than running the show or leading us to believe they run the show. I'm looking forward to seeing where the US title goes now that it is off Miz and on to Truth. We should see some other matches get started for the pay per view. I have a few things to get to before we can get to Monday Night Raw.

Alright, if you listen to ShowStopper, you hear week after week after week about the boys wanting to see John Morrison pushed. I'm all for having love for a wrestler, you know like mine on Jericho. I have a few problems with what the fellas want out of Morrison. John is a wonderful athlete and a talented wrestler. The thing is John hasn't been healthy enough for a long major push. He is always dealing with a nagging injuries. The injuries are strike one. Strike two is Morrison's lack of promo skills. He hasn't given solid promos throughout his young career. I'm not saying he is Shelton Benjamin bad. All I'm saying Morrison is weak in the promo area. He can develop but he's not ready to have promos with Edge, Jericho or Orton. Hell I saw NXT and Daniel Bryan has had better promos than Morrison. The final strike is Morrison in the back. I have read reports that Morrison isn't the most likable guy in the back. I'm not sure the severity of his backstage attitude but to give a guy a major push he needs to be likable so other wrestlers give their best efforts in the ring. The best thing about Morrison is he can correct his attitude, work hard on his mic skills and continue to show off his excellent in ring skills. Morrison has a bright future and I look forward to seeing how damn good he will be over the next few years. I'm just not going to crown him WWE champion or place him in that type of feud like Larry.

The other quick note before Raw is on Smackdown. I have continued to watch Smackdown each week. I get it on Saturday nights and usually DVR it and watch it on Sundays. Smackdown has been the better brand and show in recent weeks. I have seen several matches that were worth my time. They use their under card to perfection with feuds like Christian and Ziggler. Punk has developed into a star. Smackdown's writers have done a great job with the World Champion Jack Swagger. He's been pushed as a top heel and his character has excelled in the All American role. If you haven't been checking out Smackdown, I highly recommend watching or recording it.

Raw certainly started with a bang er spear. I liked how the first segment went with Edge and Orton. Evan getting into the act made it even better. Yes, I am opposed of seeing Bourne being a stepping stone however if say he picks up one of those fluke victories over Edge with a little help from Orton that really helps Bourne over with the fans. He is already well over and this will make the fans believe in him more and think anytime he gets in the ring, anything can happen. Orton made not be 100 percent, he's still showing up and hitting RKOs. I doubt he does much in the main event.

I could really get into an R-Truth Jericho feud. I see it much like last year with Rey and Jericho. The IC title was nothing over on Raw. Then the draft came and the IC belt wound up on Smackdown. Rey and Jericho took the title back to heights it saw in the early 90's. The Miz held the United States title for so long people were forgetting it was on Raw. Jericho and Truth could have a long three month feud to bring back the prestige of US title along with helping Truth with his in ring skills. I talked a lot about the potential of a Truth Dibiase feud and it could have been a wonderful feud. Dibiase received a concussion so he must not be able to go in the ring for a few weeks. As a writer, you have to move on. A brilliant counter to the Walls of Jericho to pick up the victory. The match was a quality in ring performance that could easily set up a nice feud.

I thought for sure Santino and Eve were going to take on Woo Woo Woo boy Zac Ryder and Alicia Fox. Has you been noticing Santino always gets the chicks? It must be the Italian accent. The WWE maybe hinting at another King of the Ring tournament. Why else would they announce Regal as the 08 King of the Ring winner? I can't quite figure out if I can call Kozlov's switch a face turn or not. Either way, this should lead to some funny comic bits.

Ted Dibiase Jr has gotten very good on the mic. Shocking to say the least to see Vincent Kennedy McMahon back on Raw. The viewer concept is an intriguing one. No clue how it will work still might be fun. Vince has been helping out Drew on Smackdown it was only a matter of time before he showed up on one of the shows. The future looks bright for Bret right now. As Vince said, the ending may not be so happy. I don't want to see Vince show up every week or have a full fledged feud with Bret again. A surprise tonight will be diluted if he shows up every week.

Michael Cole being a heel makes me laugh. He sucks so bad and his take on Daniel is he is a nerd. Cole I hope you read this: You are the worst announcer in the world. I popped for the victory for Bryan. The kid really is special and hope this has the making of a real story on Raw. The NXT guys might be finishing up the real winner is Bryan.

I had no idea who these guys and gal were last week. New Samoan blood has been injected into the WWE. The Uso's and Tamina against the Dynasty is going to be a lot of fun to watch in the next few weeks. This is how you develop a feud and a tag team. Fresh meat brought in should help the tag team division. I can see the Dudebusters getting into the act after the Usos over on Smackdown.

Why break up the Alicia Fox Zac Ryder duo? The time waster of the night was certainly that crap. I'll stop right there.

Cena tagging with Bourne was a cool idea. I would have liked to see Edge and Bourne in a singles match next week. The outcome was predictable since Evan was taken out earlier in the night. The match was still nicely done. The fans got to go home happy and Evan extracted some revenge. The only problem is this doesn't make Sheamus or Edge look strong going into the Fatal Four Way match. I'm sure that will change in the next three weeks. Orton is certainly the wild card. He obviously can't work full matches right now. I hope he will be ready by the pay per view.

I wouldn't say this was a memorable Raw. It had it's moments, nothing special though. I am interested in the 3 hour viewers choice Raw. I know they say the fans have the power. I bet it will be a lot like Cyber Sunday. Sounds like a good concept, yet not quite a good as it sounds. Be sure to listen to Showstoppers and check out Wasp TNA blog on Fridays. I would like to give a special thank you to the men and women who fight for our freedoms. You are sometimes forgotten about and that's sad. We should always continue to think about the brave soldiers.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com