Thursday, November 11, 2010

NFL Mid-Season Report

The NFL is halfway through the season. The final teams are getting their bye week this weekend. I wrote an NFL preview blog and I thought it would be fun to take a look at what I had then and see where we are now. I think I did pretty well considering the NFL is the most unpredictable league. I started with the NFC West back in August so we begin there.

NFC West
1st predictions: Divisional Champ San Fran 10-6, Arizona 8-8, Seattle 6-10 and Rams 3-13

At first glance, you would think this is a fat blunder. Well it was. I never thought Bradford was changing the entire landscape of football in St. Louis. I expected a fall off in Arizona and at 3-5, I was close. I had San Fran winning the division (so did everyone else) and Mike Singletary winning Coach of the Year. My bad. They stink and aren't sniffing either. Mike might be heading for the unemployment line. I have no idea what's going to happen in the 2nd half for the West. We could witness a 7-9 divisional champion. My rookie of the year is Bradford and I'm riding him and the Rams into the playoffs.

NFC North
1st predictions: Divisional Champ Green Bay 12-4, Wildcard Vikings 11-5, Bears 7-9 and Lions 5-11

I was right on line with the Packers, Bears and Lions. Detroit with Stafford may have been better than I predicted. We won't know because Stafford keeps getting injured. The Bears continue to be a roller coaster ride each week. Minnesota is the real fraud. Favre has stunk up the field and everyone around him has disappointed. The Moss trade was humiliating. Players are coming out to the media saying they wish Childress was gone already. Be patient because at the end of the year he will be fired. I'm taking away the Wildcard from the Vikings. I had the Packers winning and I still believe that. Rodgers was my MVP. With all the injuries Green Bay has had on the offense, he deserves more love for the award.

NFC South
1st predictions: Divisional Champ Saints 12-4, Wildcard Falcons 10-6, Panthers 6-10, Bucs 4-12

Who knew Moore and Clausen were going to suck and the running game was running away? I didn't. I felt Carolina had a legit shot to compete in the NFC. Instead they may not win more than 4 games. Tampa has been a huge surprise. The Bucs have a chance with a semi-easy schedule to make it 8-8. I won't push them farther than that. Other than having the bottom two in opposite positions, I'm sticking with the Saints and Falcons in the playoffs. Atlanta is good enough to win a wildcard and the Saints will do enough to win the division.

NFC East
1st predictions: Divisional Champs Cowboys 11-5, Giants 9-7, Skins 8-8 and Eagles 8-8

My biggest mistake in the whole preview. The Cowboys have one more than the Bills. They fired Philips (2 years to late). The Redskins and Eagles are right around what I thought they would be. The Redskins have made all the news and I still think they get to 8-8. The Cowboys have no chance for anything other than a top 5 draft pick. I'm giving the wildcard I had the Vikings with and picking the Eagles. The Giants have been much better than I believed. If they keep destroying teams, the NFC might go through New York.

AFC West
1st predictions: Divisional Champs Chargers 10-6, Denver 7-9, Oakland 7-9, Kansas City 5-11

Ok, Kansas City is playing good football and I thought they would suck. They also have the easiest damn schedule in the NFL. KC has played 2 teams with a winning record so far and have 2 left on the schedule. Denver is on the path of finding a new coach again. They are terrible. San Diego seems to be charging as of late. My Raiders are surging. A 3 game winning streak and the defense is coming together. The concern with Oakland is the schedule gets much tougher. I don't think they can over come the stretch of good games to make the playoffs. This division is still the toughest to predict. KC's easy schedule gives them the edge. But I'm a stand up guy and will stick with the Chargers to win the division.

AFC North
1st predictions: Divisional Champs Ravens 13-3, Wildcard Cincy 10-6, Pitt 9-7 and Browns 4-12

It's true, I bought into the Bengals. I thought with all the added talent on offense they would hold down Pitt. I was wrong. I still love Baltimore and think they are better than the Steelers. Cleveland has snuck up on the Saints and Pats in back to back weeks. The Browns will beat out the Bengals in the North standings. I'm swiping the Wildcard tag off Cincy and giving it to Pitt. Baltimore still wins the division.

AFC South
1st predictions: Divisional Champ Colts 12-4, Wildcard Texans 10-6, Titans 5-11, Jags 3-13

In my NFL preview I asked one simple question about the Colts, "Does Peyton Manning still QB this team?" Well he does and I'm sticking with Peyton and the Colts to hold off stiff competition from the Titans and Jags to win the division. Manning has lost several pieces of his offense and keeps winning. Houston hasn't found a secondary so that Wildcard prediction is wiped away. The Titans and Jag have played better ball than I believed. The South is very competitive. Tennessee adding Moss should keep them in the Wildcard hunt. I'm not willing to give it to them though.

AFC East
1st predictions: Divisional Champ Pats 11-5, Jets 9-7, Miami 8-8 and Bills 2-14

We end with my best predictions. I was spot on with Buffalo and Miami. Buffalo plays hard but can't get over the hump. Miami is 4-4 and switching quarterbacks. I don't fully comprehend that decision. New England dumped Moss for Branch and it worked. They are still winning the East. The Jets are now getting my other wildcard spot that went to Houston. Their defense is great and the Jets offense will survive.

I'm giving myself a chance for redemption. I hope I can do a little better the second time. I finished my first prediction with the Super Bowl pick of Baltimore and Green Bay. I'm not backing away from that. Baltimore and Green Bay both have great shots to make it. As good a shot as anyone in the wild NFL.

J Call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com