Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wrestling Mailbag

I told you I'm taking e-mails and prepared for this mailbag. You email in to giant networks, radio shows and other writers and they rarely answer your emails. We are different at BBSD. We are here for you, the fans. Sports fans, wrestling fans, NASCAR fans and any other thing you are looking for. I take pride that I have so many readers that respond to my work. I give back and that's what I am doing right here and now. I couldn't have done this without you. If you didn't make this one, you can make the next wrestling mailbag. Send your e-mail to jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com. I will try and make this mailbag a monthly thing. Real readers and real email.

I've been a wrestling fan for as long as I can remember. Stables are starting to make a comeback. I've witnessed the Horsemen, NWO, DX and the latest Nexus and Fortune. If you have to create a modern day stable, who would you put in and what would you call it?
Sam W. Cleveland, OH

Stables are great ways to elevate talent and I normally love them. When you talk stables, you can't put everyone in it. They need to be an elite group. Four is perfect, much like the 4 horsemen. I'd start with Ted Dibiase. He is the leader of the group. Husky Harris, McGillicuty and David Hart Smith would join him. The group is called Fortunate Sons. Husky is a guy to keep a watch on the next few years. McGillicuty is the worst name I've ever heard of for a guy with the talent he possess. The son of Mr. Perfect should get his name. DH Smith would play the enforcer role like Arn Anderson.

Besides Sting who is the best wrestler never to be in WWE/WWF?
Dan B. Kansas City, KS

Could Sting ever have been the face of WWE?
Josh M. Houston, TX

I figured I'd lump these two together since they are Sting related. First, I say A.J Styles and the Great Muta. Did I show my age with a Great Muta reference? Almost everyone has stepped in a WWE ring at some point so this was a tough question. The Great Muta was a great asset to WCW. He would have excelled in WWF. Styles is the new Chris Benoit. He is a better talker than given credit and damn the boy can wrestle.

The other question is a 100%, HELL YEAH! Sting replaces Warrior at Wrestlemania VI. He pins Hogan and since Sting isn't crazy like Warrior, the push lasts. Sting becomes an even bigger star than he is now. Fans would put Sting higher on every ones list as a great wrestler had he made it to Mania a few times. It's not to late Sting! Speaking of lists:

I'm a huge bigbadsportsdaddy.com fan. I listen to Showstoppers and read your blogs. You guys are always different which is a nice twist. Last week, they discussed WWE top 50 and this week they are going to make a top 25 list as totalled from guys on your site. I wondered what your top 25 list was?
Brian T. Dallas, TX

I'm sure I speak for the hosts of Showstoppers by saying 'Thank you.' My list was this:
1 HBK
2 Flair
3 Austin
4 Bret Hart
5 Kurt Angle
6 The Undertaker
7 The Rock
8 Steamboat
9 HHH
10 Chris Jericho
11 Sting
12 Mr Perfect
13 Hot Rod Piper
14 Macho Man
15 Hogan
16 Eddie G
17 Chris Benoit
18 Dusty Rhodes
19 Andre The Giant
20 Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase
21 Jerry the King Lawler
22 Superfly Snuka
23 Bruno Sammartino
24 Rey Mysterio
25 Jake the Snake Roberts

I've always enjoyed wrestlers who can wrestle more than guys who can talk and have a big personality. Mr. Perfect, Benoit, Bret Hart and Angle rate high because I flipped over to see those guys in the squared circle. I don't care if some of those guys never carried the World Title or WWE title. Hell, half the time in the late '80's early '90's the IC belt had better matches. I appreciate the art of the story inside the ropes. Hence the reason Hogan didn't make my top ten and Cena doesn't make the list. Neither can tell me a story without 10 promos or interviews. Shawn is the all time story teller in the ring and with a microphone. My only omission is Randy Orton who is number 26 at the very moment. I write this again in 5 years, Orton makes the top 15.

Why do you hate me so much?
John Morrison, Los Angeles, CA

I don't hate you Morrison. I just don't love you like Larry from BBSD does. I already crowned you King of the Ring. What more do you want from me?

I've heard a lot about Cena turning heel and I don't get it. He's the face of WWE and wrestling. Does it really make sense to turn that big of a star heel?
Dustin W. Omaha, NE

In all reality, probably not at this moment. I think we all want it to happen because a lot of us hate Cena. I am one of the haters. All wrestlers become stale and Cena is 3 day old bread. His character is boring. Hogan had to revolutionize his All American character to the Hollywood character and it worked. I thought we would see that type of turn at Survivor Series. We might see it happen down the line. For now, I and many other fans will have to wait and keep booing his ass anyway.

Early in WWE, they use to have a ton of characters. Rick Rude, The Model, The Barbarian and the list goes on. Who is a character no one will duplicate?
Eddie B, Independence, KS

I loved this question. You did disappoint me because you didn't name the best character ever. No one can duplicate, replicate or any other cate The Undertaker's run. He's the greatest character of all time. The great thing is he's changed in minuscule ways. Yet, he kept the same name and character. The biker character never happen. You hear me, never ever was Taker a biker.

You say you're the best damn WWE blogger on the planet. I disagree because you can't pick make pay per view picks to save your life. Give it up man. You suck!
Marcus J, Rock Springs, Wyoming.

Thank you sir. I'm surprised you have a computer or the Internet in Wyoming. I was 5-2 at Survivor Series so suck it.

I just witnessed Miz cashing in and winning the WWE title on Raw. It was awesome and on free TV. What's your favorite WWE or World title change on free TV?
Billy C, Denton, TX

I can think of several to choose from. WCW gave away Goldberg and Hogan in the Georgia Dome in front of one of the largest Monday night crowds ever. Stone Cold demanded a rematch against Kane after losing the night before at King of the Ring. I love Austin and he was part of my favorite WWE title change on TV. Mankind taking the title from The Rock. Raw was a taped show and WCW spoiled the ending on Nitro. That helped the title change. The crowd went bananas when the glass shattered and Austin did the BMF walk down the aisle, hit Rock with a chair and pulled Mankind over for the win. I'd say that is easy a top 5 Raw moment. DX and the Corporation was going strong. Austin was returning and the Monday Night Wars was at the pinnacle. I don't think it gets any better.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com