Friday, August 20, 2010

Big Bad NFL Preview

I've been asked several times by readers and friends, "Why would you preview the entire NFL when only 12 teams are going to make the playoffs." You tell me which 12 and then I would only do 12. I guarantee I would not receive the same 12 teams from every single one of you. I do it for that reason and because I love the NFL and knowing about all the teams makes me knowledgeable for the entire season and also for my fantasy draft. Actually, I don't give a crap about fantasy football and only care about the real deal. Everyone has hope for their team and that's a good thing until Week 9 and your team is a nominee for top ten pick. For now, keep your hopes high and I won't drag you down in this huge NFL preview. I'm ready for some football.

This will be a little different then last year. I am choosing the most important player or group I believe that gives the team the best chance for success. I will also give my prediction on their record as I did last year. I wasn't that bad with many of my picks last year. Honestly, if you read other "experts" they didn't have the Saints making the playoffs or winning it all either.

NFC West

San Francisco 49ers
The 49ers are ready to take this division with Warner gone in Arizona, Pete Carroll in Seattle and the Rams rebuilding, this young 9er team is ready for the leap. Mike Singletary is proving to be a great hire. San Fran had to be shocked when Glen Coffee abruptly retired but they got a good back up with Westbrook. My most important is the young linemen from the draft. They spent two high draft picks on Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati. These two have to perform and keep Alex Smith up right and make holes for Gore. Again with this division, I think they will. I only like one team in West to make the playoffs and it's the 49ers.
San Francisco: 10-6 NFC West Champs.

Arizona Cardinals
It's not that I don't like Leinart, more like I don't like him as much as Warner. Who does? Maybe half the team should have went begging Warner to come back like the Vikings did to get their old man back. Forget all the offensive stats from last year, because this is a different team. Kurt, Bolding and Dansby are gone and need replaced. You can't fill it all in one year. Most important is the running game. Beanie and Hightower have to step up in order for Leinart to get comfortable. He won't be able to put up the numbers Warner did and those yards have to be made up somewhere. This team has never devoted enough time to the ground game and Coach Wisenhunt should take a play out of Pitts book and run the damn ball. I still like .500 for this team and fall just shy of playing meaningful football in January.
Arizona Cardinals: 8-8

Seattle Seahawks
I'm not a fan of Pete Carroll and think he's over matched in the NFL. Some guys have what it takes and Pete, in my eyes, doesn't have it. Young Okung has to help Hasselback from having the same scenario as last year. In fact, most important is Hasselback. I don't like picking quarterbacks because every team's QB is important. However, Matt has to stay healthy and find the overpaid Wide Receivers and establish a good tight end, John Carlson into a dominant tight end. Matt won't play all year and will go down at some point which will hurt their bid for .500. Let the Carroll era begin.
Seattle Seahawks: 6-10

Saint Louis Rams
The last few years have been atrocious with less than 5 wins in 3 seasons. I'll admit since I'm an OU homer, I like Bradford but don't start him. Throw Feely in and let him get his butt kicked. They won't win many games this year much like the past few. The most important thing about the Rams, development. Young players need to develop so in 3 years we are talking about playoffs again in STL. They are going to improve but I think we all know this year is growing pains.
St. Louis Rams: 3-13 but improve

NFC North

Green Bay Packers
I'm in the minority according to most experts, I like the Pack in the North even with number 4 returning for his 75th season. Aaron Rodgers did his best David Carr impression by taking the most sacks last season. Even with the sacks, Rodgers led this team to a top 6 offense. I know the o-line will be talked about a lot and has already. The most important to me is the secondary. This secondary is very young and at the same time old. Charles Woodson and Al Harris combine for a quarter of a century experience. The rest of the secondary are young and inexperienced. If Woodson or Harris go down, it will really test how the new kids on the block. The young and old have to come together and have more special year. I like this team a lot
.Green Bay Packers: 12-4 NFC North Champs

Minnesota Vikings
As you read in the Favre blog, I'm not a fan and that's putting it mildly. I still love this team for it's ground game and front 7 on defense. The thing with Favre is can he keep the magic going from last year and if he has a chance to redeem himself, will he throw it to the right freaking team? He doesn't make one stupid throw in the NFC Championship game, the Vikings make the Super Bowl. However, Adrian is at fault because of his fumbling problems. He needs a big year with less turnovers so he can stay on the field more. The front 4 are most important. Jared Allen, Williams wall and Edwards or rookie Griffen need that same fire and intensity to keep hounding the QB. Wild card is theirs for the taking.
Minnesota Vikings: 11-5 wild card

Chicago Bears
Mike Martz should tell Cutler, teammates are who we throw to and not opposing cornerbacks. Cutler was god awful in his first year in Chi-town. The supposed franchise QB still has a losing career record and I'm tired of the excuses. I've heard a million of them. He didn't have a defense in Denver or he didn't have wide receivers last year. Here's one for you: maybe he isn't that good of an NFL QB. Julius Peppers was a nice addition if he plays like he gives a crap. Urlacher will get hurt at some point so the defense will struggle. I talked to the only Bears fan I know and she said most important player is Matt Forte. I couldn't agree more. Martz system won't allow for much running so Forte has to make plays when he has the opportunity. If he plays well, he takes pressure off Cutler. I think Forte comes close to 1,000 yards. Cutler on the other hand will throw up more picks and stink up the joint.
Chicago Bears: 7-9

Detroit Lions
As I said with the Rams, the Lions are developing into a nice team. Suh is a great addition and will be the motor and play maker this defense desperately needs. With that said on the defense, the most important are the wide outs. For Stafford to improve on last year's solid performance, he he needs more than Calvin Johnson and Brandon Pettigrew. Can you name another weapon in the passing game? I struggled to remember Nate Burleson. The weapons got to find ways to separate from the defense and get open other than Calvin. Defenses are going to target him. Scheffler is a nice piece and another solid security blanket. A slot receiver or possession receiver need to do their part and I think they don't have one on the roster. One more year and then this team starts talking about getting out of the basement.
Detroit Lions: 5-11

NFC South

New Orleans Saints
The defending World Champion New Orleans Saints! I haven't written that out before and it feels weird to read it. I like Brees and the magical Saints to return to the playoffs to defend their crown. The number one offense has to get the kind of play from the defense it did in the post season. Darren Sharper returns but the loss of Fujita hurts a little. The defense is important, more important than them is the attitude. The Saints must continue that same attitude as an underdog. They can't fall victim to hype, instead listen to Brees and keep attacking. With Sean Payton and Brees as the leaders, this team won't get lazy.
New Orleans Saints: NFC South Division Champions 12-4

Atlanta Falcons
To many injuries sealed their fate last year. Matty Ice needs consistency from his receivers as Roddy White was a fantasy points machine one week and the next was outscored by Braylon Edwards. Yikes. I have to say Tony G was a slight disappointment and I thought he would be more helpful. This season Michael Turner gets back on track with a 1,000 yards. Most important is Dunta Robinson and the secondary. Dunta takes his talents to Hotlanta and it's put up or shut up time for the stud corner. He needs to be the leader which is something an athlete who bitches about contracts and money usually isn't the leader of the clubhouse. The passing defense ranked in the bottom of the league. Now with Dunta, it moves up to middle of the pack.
Atlanta Falcons: 10-6 Wildcard

Carolina Panthers
The Panthers have been a complete disappointment in the past years. Delhomme is out and enter Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen, not sure which one. I don't think it will take long before we see Clausen. A solid ground game with Williams and Stewart helps any QB. Steve Smith is great but they have nobody else. The most important thing is gain experience. Carolina is a very young team overall. They don't need much but another WR and some all around experience. I'd like to see Clausen right away gain a rap pore with Smith and the rest of the receivers.
Carolina Panthers 6-10 but compete.

Tampa Bay Bucs
I'll say it now as I did a year and a half ago, the Bucs made a mistake firing John Gruden. The Bucs are in growing pains although they showed signs of life. Josh Freeman is there guy for the future and I must say, I approve. The kid can be special. I will say they need a veteran, Sage from Minne, as a backup. Three backs should combine to be a three headed monster, Williams, Ward and Graham. They didn't do that and it's time. I could see this team improve and rise even with Raheem. Most important: defensive front 4. Five rookies, Erik Lorig, James Ruffin, Brandon Gilbeaux, Brian Price and Gerald McCoy are competing for playing time. If two or three develop, I like McCoy most of all, then next year they could draft a play maker for Freeman and complement Benn.
Tampa Bay Bucs 4-12 and another year of pain.

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
If you've picked up the theme, the first team I talk about is the division winner. I'm in pain because this Cowboy team is a real contender for best record in the NFC. I asked John from the John and Eric show, huge cowboy homer, and asked who he felt was most important, "As a Dallas Cowboy fan, the most important player on the team to me is Jason Witten. Sure Romo, and Ware are the best players, but without Witten this team struggles. Whenever Romo needs a 5 yard catch for a first down, he goes to Witten." I agree Witten is a great asset and important. Most important to me, Wade Phillips. I don't think they win it all because of him. He's not the coach to bring home a Super Bowl for Dallas.
Dallas Cowboys 11-5 East Division Champs

New York Giants
Eli is already banged up and we haven't started the regular season. The G-men underperformed last season and should do much better. I have doubt with Coughlin and the staff. Most important to me is new defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell. He replaces Bill Sheridan and rectify the defense that won the Super Bowl only a few years ago. The D-line disappointed after adding Canty with Tuck and Osi should have been enough. Now they spent a high draft pick on Jason Pierre Paul who might be the Vernon Gholston of the 2010 draft. I like the offense and see less problems with them. The G-men fall short of the playoffs and fire Coughlin.
New York Giants 9-7.

Washington Redskins
No surprise, I've written about McNabb twice in my short career and pairing him with Shanahan was huge. Fat Albert isn't worth my time. McNabb must do what he's done before, develop young receivers. Trent Williams seems to be impressive early on. Most important is chemistry. This team needs to develop chemistry with McNabb and Shanahan. I think there are to many egos and characters on this team. Although Shanahan is a great coach and McNabb has good years left, this was hard for me to keep them from making the playoffs.
Washington Redskins 8-8

Philadelphia Eagles
We end our NFC journey with a team gambling on a young QB, Kevin Kolb. They really put their eggs in one basket and went for it and I commend them. Yet, I feel it's a mistake. This team isn't short on talent or play makers. We find out if they were real play makers or if McNabb made them play makers. No, Westbrook or McNabb means the Eagles are young and lacking the most important thing which is finding new leadership. Kolb is a mystery and it's put up time. He'll put up numbers and with the talent, they won't fall to short.
Philadelphia Eagles 8-8.

NFC Playoff Teams 1) Green Bay 2) Dallas 3) New Orleans 4) San Fran
Wild Cards 5) Minnesota 6) Atlanta

AFC

AFC West

San Diego Chargers
I know the hold outs, stories, rookie running back and I still have them winning this weak division. I heard all about the distractions. I also know Rivers is a top ten NFL QB. He needs Vincent Jackson and Gates together. Ryan Matthews and Sproles should be a nice combo and won't make Charger fans regret releasing LDT. Most important is the linebacker core. There's a ton of talent and they have to show it. Merriman isn't the roid rage player anymore. San Diego has 4 rookies contending for spots. Phillips and English are starters and staples in the line up. One guy out of 4 has to play with them.
San Diego 10-6 AFC West Champs

Denver Broncos
Tebowmania is running wild. I'm here to stop the insanity. He's not starting, winning awards or games. Orton is the starter and received an extension. Denver has questions all over but the most important is Demaryius Thomas. Sorry kid, you get to replace an All-Pro Wide Receiver who the media compared you to during the draft. Stupid! You had Marshall and now you have an unknown. The other guy going to be missed is Tony Scheffler. They didn't bother replacing him. I can't wait for Orton to struggle and idiot fans scream for Tebow. Throw him out there and watch him fail. Good times had by all.
Denver Broncos 7-9

Oakland Raiders
My team has received plenty of praise this offseason for their draft and dumping that one fat QB and trading for Campbell. Russell's QB rating a 50.0. Campbells in Washington 86.4 and 14th in yards. Even with all the positives, there are lots of uncertainty. The running backs of McFadden and Bush need to stay healthy, something they haven't done yet. Most important are the Wide receivers. Russell sucked but the wide outs didn't things. Bey, Ford, Schilens and Murphy are the men in black who need to get open. Bey especially has to catch the damn ball so fans can stop making fun of Davis choosing him over Crabtree (never going to happen). Oakland is starting to get stability and that's big on my watch. Defensively, they are a top ten team. The front 7 pressures and the secondary, with Asomugha leading, is solid all over the field. I said to keep hopes high and that's what I'm doing here.
Oakland Raiders 7-9 and a top ten overall defense

Kansas City Chiefs
Matt Cassell didn't deliver in year one, as I expected. He has 5 rookie Wrs and a tight end who could help speed up the process. Jamaal Charles was the highlight of the season. Eric Berry comes in to help a struggling defense. The offensive line is of grave concern as well. I'm going with the entire defense as most important. Berry is rookie of the year material. Dorsey has been nothing but a bust. Tyson Jackson is heading down the same path. Will anyone help or step up? Besides Berry, I don't see it.
Kansas City Chiefs 5-11

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens
Joe Flacco adds two weapons with Boldin and Stallworth (can we call him a weapon?). Flacco is a fantastic QB and I have high hopes for this team. The offensive line is young, talented and perform above their years. My biggest concern is the overuse of Ray Rice. He's the focal point of the offense, rightfully so, and if he goes down, depth is not the Ravens strong point. Most important is a bit of a no brainer, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. They are getting older and may not make all the plays. I think they have one more year at the top level before they fall and Baltimore will have to replace the irreplaceable.
Baltimore Ravens 13-3 AFC North Champs

Cincinnati Bengals
Calling on the only Bengal fan I know for the break down, "Wide receiver core, fell from top 5 to 27th in offense and haven't had an athletic tight end in 10 years. If the offense scores, the young defense has come together to get them to the next level." I couldn't have said it better myself. If T.O, Greshem, Cinco, Bryant and Shipley can't help, nothing will.
Cincinnati Bengals 10-6 Wild Card

Pittsburgh Steelers
Big Ben is out 4 games and enter Dennis Dixon or Leftwich. You could do much worse. Pitt has talent and could be another wild card. Without Ben for those four games and then try to develop chemistry, they fall short. Defense is still going to be in the top ten. They are aggressive and get to the QB. Most important is those first 4 games. I believe if they get 3 wins, playoffs are possible, anything less and they sit at home. They host Atlanta, visit Tenn then Tampa and end at home against arch rival Baltimore so 2-2 is conceivble. I'm not betting on 3-1.
Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7

Cleveland Browns
Poor Cleveland, lost Lebron and Brady Quinn in the same year. All kidding aside, this team hired a great GM with Mike Holmgren. He should right the ship in due time. Colt McCoy, stay off the field and learn, he might have a future. Most important is Jerome Harrison. He needs to show he's not a 1 year wonder. I think he will play well and get close to 1,000 yards.
Cleveland Browns 4-12 Fire Mangini

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts
Does Peyton Manning still QB this team? Yes, so they win the south. Manning is the best quarterback in the league. No secret there. The defense is solid and I hope Bob Sanders stays healthy for them all year. He's the leader on that side of the ball. The biggest concern and most important is the running backs. For all the love for Manning, the running game was dead last in yards. Addai and Brown have to combine for around 1,700 yards when they get their opportunities. Mike Hart is a great weapon on screens and dump offs.
Indianapolis Colts 12-4 and Super Bowl Contender

Houston Texans
If I keep picking them for the playoffs, I have to be right some year. My brother, who lives in Houston, is the go to guy on most important, "Unfortunate rookie Ben Tate is out for the year. Slaton needs to stop fumbling the ball." Well Tate was going to help. Now Slaton and possibly Foster will become a two headed machine for Schaub. The Texans have talent and if Schaub plays 16 games, they will play a 17th.
Houston Texans 10-6 Wild Card

Tennessee Titans
Two Longhorn QBs, Simms and Young and I don't like either. I can't tell if they are rebuilding or trying to sign enough to stay competitive. They are teetering and that's not good. Opposing defenses can stack the box because Johnson is the only threat. The Titans defense has slipped to the bottom half of the league. Jeff Fisher is a good coach, but this should be his last year. He needs a year off and go to a new team, hopefully one with a competant management. Most important, you name it and it's important with this team.
Tennessee Titans 5-11 Fisher fired

Jacksonville Jaguars
Yes Maurice Jones Drew, I'm doubting your team a lot. You don't have any help on offense. They reached for help in the draft for years now to find a decent defensive end or tackle. This year was Alualu. David Garrard doesn't seem to be a franchise QB. I don't have many positives with this team. Most important, I'll say receiver group. Mike Sims Walker and company have to show some sort of life and help this team. I don't like their chances.
Jacksonville Jaguars 3-13

AFC East

New England Patriots
This team is getting older and may fall from the top of the East. Tom Brady is still a top notch QB and leader so I can't pick against them. He should get an extension sometime during the season. Next year, draft a good running back because what they have now is weak. I like rookie McCourty and he should help a disappointing secondary. Most important is another no brainer, Wes Welker. Is he human? He came back awfully fast from knee surgery. He's shown in preseason, he's ready to help this team win another division title and contend.
New England Patriots 11-5 East Division champs

New York Jets
If you haven't figured it out by now, I don't have anymore playoff spots left. The Jets fall in my predictions for a few reason. They have to many mouths, to much hype and to many media members cressing them as a real contender. Mix all that in a blender and you have a team I stay the hell away. The Jets have one thing going for them and that's defense. Revis is a big distraction for this team and young rookie Wilson can't fill his shoes. Most important is the front 7. Jenkins is older as well as Ellis and Gholston is a giant bust. They should throw him on the line instead of linebacker and see if he can do anything. They made the playoffs last year only because teams let them in the final weeks by laying down.
New York Jets 9-7

Miami Dolphins
Put Miami in the AFC West and play KC, Oak and Denver 6 times and they make the playoffs. Henne is going to take the leap with Marshall as his sidekick. I don't trust their running game at all. Ronnie can't stay healthy and Ricky is due for an injury since he's 33. Dolphins are average at best on defense. Most important to me is Vontae Davis and Jared Odrick. Vontae has to become the corner the Dolphins thought they were getting when they drafted him. Odrick is the new anchor on the defensive line and the kid is solid. One more year and this team is ready to get back to the post season.
Miami Dolphins 8-8

Buffalo Bills
We end with a team in full disarray. Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Brohm and rookie Brown are their quarterbacks. I'm not sure if I need to go further. Fred Jackson and Lynch are already hurt so I guess it's a good thing they drafted Spiller even though they have needs at almost every position. They don't have a real QB, Coach or playmaker on either side of the ball. Spiller is one guy. Most important is Chan Gailey. Can he coach? I have no clue. For the sake of arguing, I'll say no and that's the conversation.
Buffalo Bills 2-14 and drafting a QB 1st next year

AFC Playoff Teams: 1)Baltimore 2)Indy 3)New England 4)San Diego
Wild Cards 5)Cincinnati 6)Houston

Time to hand out the Lombardi trophy as well as some awards.

MVP: Aaron Rodger, Packers. I love this kid and think he's ready to be the Brees of this year.
Rookie of the Year: Ndamukong Suh. Call him Donkey Kong. He's going to be fun to watch.
Coach of the Year: Mike Singletary. Wins a division and gets the 9ers back to the playoffs.

Super Bowl Match up: Green Bay vs Baltimore.

You're thinking I'm crazy. Well I am and nobody thought the Saints were making it last year. Baltimore's Defense makes enough plays and Ray Lewis retires after the game. Ray Rice is the MVP.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com