Monday, May 17, 2010

Raw 5-17 A Celebration

Why are we celebrating this blog? We should really be celebrating every blog but this one is truly special. I have been doing the Raw blog for one year now. I'm not going to hand out some superficial award to myself. Instead, the award goes to you, the fans that have made this blog possible and kept it going for the past year. I am proud to be the voice of the old school wrestling fan. Raw goes commercial free for the second time it WWE history. Buzz leads us into space for the 1 year anniversary of the start of the BBSD Raw blog.

No special second paragraph I want to get straight to Raw. The WWE did the right thing with having the Canadian hero Bret Hart coming out first. The riff back and forth between Jericho and Bret was a beautiful thing. The beauty of it all is Jericho, a fellow Canadian, who got his native country men to boo him. I was really hoping Bret wasn't going to wrestling versus the Miz and maybe I will get my wish.

Edge vs Christian
Jericho may have been booed, Edge wasn't. I couldn't have been happier to see Christian being the opponent for Edge. I would have loved to see an entire feud with Christian and Edge, perhaps next years Wrestlemania. How good could an actual feud be with Christian and Edge? Their match on Raw solidifies what we all knew, it would be awesome. Shocking to say the least to see The Undertaker return! The Undertaker doesn't make a whole lot of sense showing up on a random Raw but who the hell cares it's the freaking Undertaker. We may not have witnessed an actual match and I wanted to see a Tombstone Piledriver. It was still nice for the Taker to show up. I must be part Canadian since I enjoyed the first two segments of Raw.

I guess the WWE is going through with a permanent GM of Raw. I wonder who they are going to pick. Poor Buzz couldn't remember where he was, it's the WWE buddy. The WWE is doing something right with the Diva title on Raw. We have been seeing the budding feud between Eve and my girlfriend Maryse in the past few weeks. The payoff should come with a nice one on one match for the title on Sunday.

Mark Henry must have pissed someone off one of the writers. He has been beaten down the last two weeks by Batista. I haven't heard he had a legit injury. Henry has made Batista look ultra strong heading into Over the Limit.

Yoshi Tatsu vs Ted Dibiase Jr
Virgil, the Virgil sighting and he even got a loud pop from the crowd. Hilarious! Yoshi is under used, that's an understatement, on Raw. Tatsu showed he could be more than a jobber. He could certainly be in a feud with someone for the US Title. The match was solid and Teddy needed to go over and get the win. I can't believe Virgil will stick around for a while. If you're over the age of 20 you would know who Virgil is but most kids will have no idea.

Miz vs Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Regal and Kozlov showing up should mean when the Dynasty beats Miz and Jericho Sunday, they will be the new feud. The match wasn't pretty, much like Mania, and I have no idea how the story will go from here. All I know is it's cool that Bret gets a title win to celebrate his final Raw. Bret may have to come back now. I wanted the United States title to get some exposure. I was hoping for a real feud. The kid in me is pumped. The wrestling fan is questioning the booking.

Eve and Bella Twins vs Maryse, Layla and McCool.
I don't get why McCool had a title. Eve has started to grow on me a little lately. I can remember when all Diva matches on Raw were 6 diva matches. The most beautiful Diva gets the win and momentum heading towards their ppv match. I actually have some expectations for the Diva title match.

Cena with the same promo he has been doing since 2003. He is passionate during his interview, except he gives the same damn speech. I won't lie to you, I took a piss during it. Batista and Cena ranks up there with one of the worst WWE title feuds in history. I'll give them some respect since their matches have not sucked. They have gotten by. Sunday needs to finish the feud and Batista's career.

Randy Orton vs Jack Swagger
The Swagger pick makes complete sense. Orton beat him a few weeks ago and Swagger picked up the victory at Extreme Rules. I'll have more about Swagger and his World title reign on my Over the Limit pick blog which will be on the website Thursday morning (cheap plug). I had a feeling Canada would love Randy Orton. They are one of the most vocal fans and love the Anti-Hero. The match was good not great. The dq had to happen. Neither Orton nor Swagger could afford a loss before Sunday.

Bourne and Kim vs Ryder and Fox
I believe I called this match last week on my Raw blog. As I said then, Raw needs small feuds like Bourne and Ryder. I enjoyed the match but I always do with Bourne. I kind of hope the feud can go a little bit longer. I'm pretty sure Buzz was drunk.

Sheamus vs Cena
The sad thing is with Triple H out, Sheamus will be kept off the pay per view. The Irish Ghost should have been placed in some sort of feud after Over the Limit unless Triple H is going to come back. Sheamus has worked hard and has turned into a solid in ring performer. The match was better than I expected. The fall for Sheamus sounded horrible. The outcome was predictable, either Cena wins or Batista interferes. The I Quit Match will no doubt end the show.

Raw was a very good show if you like in ring entertainment. I really enjoyed Edge vs Christian and the Swagger Orton match. I love solid wrestling and the WWE finally gave me what I wanted. It doesn't always happen but when it does, I am a very happy Raw blogger. Jon Lovitz is next weeks host. I find Jon funny, not sure if that is going to matter hosting Raw. I can already think of a good backstage segment with Jon and Santino. Be sure to check out Wasp's TNA blog every Friday morning and ShowStoppers every Tuesday afternoon. You can check out my Over the Limit pick Thursday morning on BBSD. The best damn WWE blogger on the planet thanks you again for keeping this Raw blog going. I sure hope we can keep it going another year.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com