Monday, January 4, 2010

Raw 1-4

The night I have waited weeks for has finally arrived. No, I am not talking about TNA debuting a Monday night show. I'm talking about Bret Hart returning to the WWE. My heart has been pounding all day filled with excitement. Raw should be an incredible show tonight. The show will feature some very good matches and story lines. My Christmas present and my dying wrestling wish comes true tonight. I'll say it one more time, if you are looking for me to talk about TNA, it's not going to happen. First, I want to answer a question I received earlier today in a text message.

I have a friend, Chris, who use to watch wrestling back in the attitude era. He text me and asked, "Why did it take so long for him to come back? I won't dive into all the details but here is some of the basics as to why we had to wait over 12 years for this day to come. (I got a lot of this information from Bret's book and other stories) The truth is Bret couldn't trust Vince. After the screw job, Bret was bitter. He wanted a proper send off and never received it. Bret had a contract that stated he had creative control on the final 30 days with the WWF. Vince changed things constantly. Bret was fine with giving the title up before leaving. His only problem was dropping it to Shawn. At first, Bret didn't even have that problem. In front of all the boys in the locker room, Shawn told Bret he would never job to him. Bret was furious and said there was no chance he would pass the torch to Shawn after a comment like that. We all know how it ended. Bret was with the WWF for 14 years and gave them everything he had and Vince screwed him out of what should have been a beautiful moment. Bret did comeback for the Hall of Fame. He was still bitter even then. Shawn left the commencement before Bret's speech to avoid confrontation. Now, it looks as though the past has become just that. Everyone has moved on, slowly, and the wounds have healed. Bret is one of the most passionate people ever in the wrestling business. He was born into it. I hope tonight is the start on a road to having the proper ending Bret rightfully deserves.

I didn't have to wait long. Bret looked great for a guy who had a horrible stroke. What a great pop he received. We never forgot Bret! Oh my! Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in the same ring together again. I can't believe this. Finally they got together again. I could feel the electricity in the ring with Shawn and Bret. I love Shawn saying he had a hand in it. Shawn almost came to tears talking about the greatest Iron man match of all time. I felt the sincerity in Shawn's voice. The handshake was a beautiful moment for all wrestling fans. The hug was even better. I agree with both men, their careers should outshine the screw job. I guess the confrontation between Bret and Vince will happen later in the show. What a moment for fans around the world. The hatchet between Shawn and Bret is buried in the first moments of Raw. I was happy to see every second of that moment. As a wrestling fan, I am ready for the entire screw job to go away. I don't think you have to ask how much I loved the first segment of Raw.

The injury to Melina really sucks. The WWE did a great job of doing something special with the Diva title instead of doing some lame battle royal. The tournament is a great idea and may make the Diva division matter on Raw. I still think Maryse should be the new Diva champion. She has been the best Diva on Raw since returning in November. Maryse moved on in a decent match with the Bella twins. I wonder if the WWE is toying the idea turning Maryse face after the interaction with Miz.

Could 2010 be a big year for MVP? Well it couldn't be worse than 2009. MVP needs a nice big push to start off the new year correctly. WWE hasn't done much with Swagger either. The fatal four way match was a nice contest. Henry was used to perfection tonight. He is the big guy and everyone had a hard time to handle. I really liked the fatal four way match even if I thought MVP was going to win. MVP and Miz should have a nice long feud. The first match should happen at the Rumble.

Jericho and Hart in the back was fun. Jericho has a ton of respect for Bret. Jericho did wrestle with Stu in the dungeon. My two of my favorite wrestlers of all time with a quality backstage promo. Showstoppers hosts hate Jericho, yet I love him. His character is so much fun to watch.
Santino dressed as Jericho was priceless. Santino always finds a way to showcase his comedy ability ever week on Raw. Why does DX treat Hornswaggle like a ewok from the Star Wars films?

The semi main event with DX and JeriShow one last time. Big FWF points up for grabs in this contest as all 4 men are part of John and Larry's rosters. I thought Larry bringing up HBK name as the Rumble winner was an interesting point. I had always thought Orton was going to win until story lines seemed to change lately. I tend to agree with Larry that one of the members of DX will win the Rumble now. Big Show suplexing two men is a extraordinary move. I remember when I was backyard wrestling, a suplex looks easy, but is a much more difficult move to pull off. I can't imagine trying to take two men over at the same time. Jericho mocking Hogan was a highlight to remember tonight. I remember back in WCW how Jericho was so irate at Hogan for holding him back. I think Jericho has shown in the past ten years, he deserved a top spot in WCW. The tag match we got tonight was exactly what I had hope to see the first time. DX and JeriShow put on a great contest. As a wrestling fan, I wanted more wrestling and got it in that contest. I thought for sure it was over when Y2J hit the codebreaker. DX keeps the belt and one can only assume the reason JeriShow didn't is because Edge will be ready for Mania. Larry gains points and John loses more in the FWF standings. Jericho really hammed it up for the crowd when he was leaving. My only question is where does this leave the Big Show for the rumble and lead into Wrestlemania?

Sheamus heads towards the Rumble without a challenger. Wow Bourne got to use the microphone. Bourne plays the underdog role so well. No way the WWE would give Evan a shot at the WWE title at the Rumble. First time ever someone kicked out of Air Bourne. I have said it before Bourne could lead a hell of a new cruiserweight division in the WWE. If Cena isn't getting a title rematch at the Rumble, who the hell will face Sheamus?

The WWE did a nice job talking about Dr. Death Steve Williams. He should be inducted into the Hall of Fame for being such a great athlete and wrestler. I can only think of one man to induct him and that is Jim Ross. I think that would be a very touching farewell.

The final match between Kofi and Orton. The WWE is sewing up a lot of story lines and start fresh for the Rumble next week. I had hoped this feud would go on longer. The good thing is these two have great chemistry with each other and have had solid matches. The feud has really elevated Kofi in the eyes of many fans. I think I heard some boos tonight for Kofi. I have no idea why the fans would turn on Kofi. Could Kofi's future start resembling the Rock? Fans hated the Rock in the beginning and when he turned heel, he let everyone know how he felt about us. A nice segue into Showstoppers topic for Segment 2. John and Larry will talk about the Top 5 heels of all time. I will also make a special guest appearance. Raw has had a lot of great in ring performances tonight. Raw needed to step up with TNA trying to become strong competition. A wonderful finish with Orton blocking Trouble in Paradise and hitting a quick RKO. Kofi needed the victory more but the real story going forward is the tension between Legacy. Kofi should get a spot into the Rumble and Money in the Bank at Mania.

Vincent Kennedy McMahon out to have the other confrontation with Bret. The compelling story between Vince and Bret had been laid out a long time ago. Yes Vince, I wanted to see Bret lock on the sharpshooter. Vince in usual heel fashion wanted an apology. Vince and Bret had a nice work shoot, meaning it felt like a shoot only it was all a work. No chance in hell Bret and Vince still hate each other if Vince can get Bret to come back. Vince's story about how Bret earned it was all true. Vince giving Stu a nomination into the Hall of Fame is a very cool deal. Bret should be the inductor. I knew it was coming. Vince kicking Bret is setting us all up for something special. The WWE couldn't give to much away but the road to Wrestlemania is going to be a rough one for Vince McMahon. Bret and Vince will wrestle in some kind of match at Mania. The ending made me think if Vince was being honest when he thanked Bret? I'm really happy Shawn won't be apart of this entire angle. That story was done and over with. The real story is between Vince and Bret. I believe by the time Wrestlemania rolls around the fans will be ready to see Bret beat Vince's ass.

I'm shocked Mike Tyson is hosting Raw next week. I had no idea the WWE would ever bring him back. Raw next week will start to show us where the WWE is headed to the Rumble. Cena was absent tonight since he was the coin flipper at the Fiesta Bowl. I'm sure he will have a say who wrestles Sheamus at the Rumble. I enjoyed Bret being back in the WWE. I was so excited at work people wondered what the hell was wrong with me. After Raw, I can't wait to see what happens next. When will he show up again? The only thing to wonder about after tonight is how did TNA do competing against Raw? TNA brought in everyone they could while the WWE put on a solid wrestling effort and a believable story. The ratings should be out by Wednesday. Will this be the first shot towards a new Monday night War? We will all find out soon enough.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com