Monday, January 18, 2010

Raw 1-18

Last week, I was pissed after Raw went off the air. DX and Tyson was way to predictable. The hosts tonight are Don Johnson and Jon Heder. Raw is a special night with The Undertaker giving HBK an answer on whether they will wrestle one more time at Wrestlemania 26. I have a feeling it will be a no. I hope Raw provides us a much better ending then last weeks crap. I forgot on the Raw blog last Monday to write something in the first paragraph. I will shock you since I am going to talk about TNA and their pay per view last night.

TNA opened up their pay per view showing off their brand new four sided ring. Oh wow, I am so excited to see you drop something that made you different than the WWE. TNA had a six sided ring and it was unique. I know it is a small thing but it still made them different. Fans get mad at the WWE for being bland and boring. TNA could have capitalized on that by showcasing their original talent and add a few big names. I felt they had done that with Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle and Sting. Now they are WCW. Why would I turn over to watch them if the same guys who ruined WCW are running TNA? Last night, there were so many shots of Hogan and his hot daughter to make you sick. By highlighting Hogan, Flair and Bischoff, TNA is heading down the wrong path. TNA is going to have to make sure not to focus on only Hogan and Flair. You have a lot of talent and can't bury them under the old guys. I would have preferred TNA signed Paul Heyman than Bischoff. Heyman has showed he can write and be creative. Great job last night TNA. In my opinion, you are now WCW Jr. I'm happy to get that off my chest.

You can never go wrong with Vincent Kennedy McMahon opening up a Raw. Vince is always fun as the heel. I've never actually hated Vince even in the Austin era. I had said Raw was going to be special and I never would have thought The Undertaker would have showed up in the first segment. I was reading reports Taker is having a hard time moving around with his bad back. I hope for our sake he can go until Mania and take a very long hiatus much like last year. Wrestlemanias are not the same without the Phenom. It's true Taker was there and he had Bret's back if you read the stories. I like the storyline Vince playing the coward. The fans will have a hard time figuring out who to root for again this year. Do you pick Undertaker or HBK? I like both men and will be happy to enjoy another match between the two at Wrestlemania. The Undertaker seems to be playing the heel. Last year, their story was focused on both being faces. I thought having the Undertaker back down from a challenge was strange. Has he ever said no to a fight? Shawn might go ahead and win the Rumble now. The match would mean even more if the title is on the line. However, it does seem like Shawn would almost have to beat him now. I don't see how Shawn could win the Rumble and have the world title shot and fail again. I never thought the Undertaker's streak would be in jeopardy but it could be now.

Something neither Showstoppers or I discussed last week was Cena's winning streak. Cena had come out a few weeks ago after he lost to Sheamus and said he would never lose. I heard Cena is having problems with his back now and may need surgery. As I said above about the Undertaker, the WWE needs Cena for Wrestlemania. I don't see how Sheamus beating Bourne again helps the champ. At least the focus turned towards Orton. The fans seem to be cheering for Randy more each week. His opponent makes it easier for fans to start liking Orton more. My real problem was how the WWE goes to commercial. They have the champ and challenger have a stare off and instead you go to commercial with a lame backstage skit. I would have rather seen that open after the commercial break. The WWE title needs to be showcased and not take a backseat. The WWE should have something more about Orton and Sheamus later on.

Swagger is getting creamed on Raw. I am embarrassed for the guy. He can't buy a break. If this continues, the crowd is going to become even more bored with him. The only way he gains some credibility is if he can hold his own at the Rumble and throw a few people out. He won't because I am sure he will be eliminated right away. The WWE knows how to build them up and tear them down.

You know what would have been better than Justin Roberts announcing the co hosts. If Justin Roberts would have said here are your hosts for Raw, two guys you couldn't careless about. Miami Vice was great 10 years ago and Napolean Dynamite was cool 4 years ago. Jon Heder is playing the heel very well. He got the fans pissed with his Kiffin rant. (Who I can't stand) I am so sick of hearing Miz say really. I was hoping MVP would have gotten a shot at the US title at the Rumble. Instead Miz let us all know he is one of the entrants in the Rumble. The WWE is finally showing off the Big Show again. At least you could tell Heder was having fun. Miz and MVP continued their feud without having a match. I have to wonder when the WWE will put them in the ring to compete.

If you get a chance, go back and listen to Lawler call Randy Orton, Randy Savage. Jerry needs his eyes checked. I bet Vince was screaming at him in the headset. I have to say I was happy to see Legacy get a tag match this week. One week they are on the same page, the next week is a different story. The WWE needs to make up their mind on what they are going to do with Legacy. I followed John's reaction to every bump and couldn't see a problem. I did notice he was in a limited role before the commercial break. I had a feeling once Raw returned that Kofi would give Cena the hot tag and end the match. Tag team matches seem to be scripted the same damn way every week. I get that you have to get the crowd into it with a hot tag. Cena and Kofi picked up the win and Legacy has more tension in the ring. Next week, they will be back to normal.

I was over come with joy when Hornswaggle and Heder were added in the mix the Main Event. I wanted to see DX and Hornswaggle end Raw again. I am calling it before it happens much like last week. Let the fans go home happy. The WWE switched it up tonight with the Divas. The tournament will return next week. I have been raving that the tournament has given some promise to the Divas division. I thought having a tag match a week before the semi finals was a great idea to give some focus on all 4 girls. I don't mind any of the Divas except Eve. She isn't a solid wrestler and will most likely lose next week. The finals needs to be Gail and Maryse.

I praised it last week and I will again this week. The WWE picked a great song to go along with the WWE. Shawn Michaels might be the hero at the end of the Rumble. HHH and Vince's backstage segment all but seals the deal Bret will return next week. My guess is he will upstage Vince and this thing will heat up even more.

I got my wish since the WWE decided to show off Randy Orton. Chris Masters got some new music. Randy didn't get to show off to much tonight. The match was quick with an RKO. I liked the finish to the segment. Sheamus needs to have some momentum and make Orton look a little weak. Randy is a great heel and frankly I am surprised the fans are cheering for him the way they are. I like Orton but more as of a heel. If you are going to break up Legacy, Dibiase should be the face.

The Miz is finally getting a match on Raw. I guess the WWE had no idea what to do with Show except throw him a new partner. I have complained way to many times about how I don't like the celebrities getting involved in the show. Classic example is tonight's show. Heder looked sick and so did the two sweet chin musics. I can make it official now. The Raw writers are trying to piss me off. The end of Raw was the same damn thing as last week. I was saved by the mic skills of HHH and Cena. You had to know Cena was going to be in the Rumble match. The WWE should make sure Big Show throws out about 10 guys and establishes dominates again. (That was a nice side joke for John). The ending was a little different since now there is some tension between HHH and HBK. I get tired of seeing DX go around and do nothing but throw a joke once in a while. I'm sorry I get bored with that same old crap. The Rumble is all about going out there for yourself. The WWE is going to have a lot of guys who could win the match. We know Big Show won't, but the other 3 guys could. Cena needs a rematch and could win. HBK wants The Undertaker and the only way that happens is if he wins. HHH wants back on top and has requested to take on Sheamus at Wrestlemania. The road to Wrestlemania is a curvy one. Raw makes me feel like the Rumble match won't be have a predictable winner.

Next week, USA is teaming up with the WWE and having the two characters from Psych host Raw. As long as they don't wrestler, I don't mind a little cross promoting. The WWE should keep the focus on the Rumble and the two championship matches rolling throughout the next two weeks. I like the story lines going into the Rumble with one exception. I don't care much for Rey vs Undertaker. The WWE did this a few years ago with Edge taking on Rey. You know the match will be a solid contest, that is not my point. My point is Rey should be in the Rumble match instead of a filler. No one will believe Rey is going to win and it's a waste of talent. I will be back next week and I hope Bret Hart is as well.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com