Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Black Hole

I have been reading almost every person on BBSD writing about sports. Larry is talking Tiger and his 18 hos. Eric is ready for spring to get here so his Cubs can have another losing season. John is blaming everyone and their dog for the Cowboys choke job in round 2. I have love the passion of sports on BBSD and the bloggers. As you know, I am an avid writer on all things WWE. I thought I would change it up and go for this whole sports thing. Since Eric and John were talking about their favorite team, I figured I would speak on behalf of the Raider Nation, the real Raider nation not Red Raiders John. I have thoughts on many NFL topics and before I would get to the Raider nation, I need to address the Nation of One.

The Buffalo Bills fans have to be excited to hear about their new head coaching hire. I have hit the message boards, searched high and low on the Internet to find some outrage. I have yet to find any Bills fans. None! Where the hell are you? Please, come out and complain about this hire. You have all the rights in the world to complain. Bill Cowher gave Chan a recommendation and that was all that was needed to get Buddy Nix and Ralph Wilson to hire this guy. Bills fans should be outraged by this boring hire. You already had one of the most mundane coaches in Dick Jauron. He wouldn't fire me up unless you poured gasoline on my ass and lit it on fire. General managers hiring coaches who have had long stints off hasn't worked in the past. Joe Gibbs wasn't a bad hire for the Redskins. On the other hand, I remember Art Shell's corpse as the Raiders head coach a few years ago. I have no confidence in this hire and neither should any Bills fans, if you can find one. Feel free to email me if you are out there, mccall316@yahoo.com. I would love to hear from you. A quick prediction before I move on, Gailey is fired within 2 years.

I need to say a few things to John in response to his Cowboy blog he wrote last week. First of all, I love your passion John. You might be the biggest homer when it comes to the Cowboys and you don't hide it. You seemed to blame everyone. The one person you blamed the most was Jerry Jones, though I need a real reason. I'll give you a few. As a fan of the worst run franchise in all of sports I know how to blame an owner. So here goes:

One thing is for sure I would blame Jerry Jones for keeping Wade Phillips when he needed to throw big money at Mike Shanahan last off season. Wade Phillips is not a head coach. I don't give a crap if he won a playoff game this year. He is not a head coach. Mike Shanahan is a head coach but not a General Manager. Jerry needed to bring Wade into his office after Mike was fired and give him an option. I talked about this last year when I was doing the sports show on BBSD with John. Jerry should have told Wade, 'I'm going to try and hire Mike. The truth is we need a guy that can help our offense and gain confidence in Romo. Wade, you have been a loyal coach to this team. I don't want to lose you. I want you to stay on as defensive coordinator because you have helped them immensely this year.' Wade, like a puppy, would have nodded and went with it. Instead, you missed the boat on Mike and he is working for your rival and Jerry extended Wade's contract. Brilliant! While I'm here: I don't see the difference between drafting Darrius Heyward Bey and trading 3 picks for Roy Williams. You could have had a much more effective football player than another cry baby Wide Receiver. Roy had 596 yards 7 tds and was invisible in some games. I'm not saying Bey is any better because we all know Oakland blew the pick by not selecting Crabtree. I went back and looked at some of the players in the first round taken after the Lions selected Brandon Pettigrew with your first round pick. The Cowboys could have used that pick on Michael Oher, Percy Harvin or Clay Matthews to name a few. Now ask yourself, as a Cowboy fan who would you rather have? A left tackle for the future, a highlight reel Wide Receiver and return man, a solid sack happy linebacker or Roy Williams. Obviously, Jerry knew best. After you read all of that, Cowboy fans are nodding in agreement. I will take a wild guess that next years season ends in another disappointing loss and John and all Cowboy fans will be pissed again. No need to think of who to blame next time. All you have to do is look in the owners box inside Alien Stadium.

Alright, I am done ranting on those two subjects it's time to get to the Oakland Raiders. I love the Silver and Black. I will for the rest of my life. I'm one of the workers on the ship while our captain is steering with his eyes closed. I'm going down with my captain. The so called sources have no idea if Crazy Al is hiring a new head coach or keeping Cable. I haven't a clue what Al will do which is why I call him Crazy Al. I would like to see Tom Cable get one more year. Cable got my vote when he blamed Russell for his work ethic and inability to be an effective quarterback. The fact that Russell left for Vegas is another reason he is Ryan Leaf without the anger issue. If Al was smart (he isn't) he would dump this piece of crap now and pay him not to be near the locker room. Russell would be happy not to work for Oakland much like Conan O'Brien on NBC. The Raiders have another high draft pick and I doubt Al will make a great choice. History is proving over and over, he can't draft a solid player any longer. The only pick I agreed with was Darren McFadden. Darren has shown signs of promise and should get more touches. The list is endless of bad coaching hires as well. If Al has a lot of money, throw it all at a big time head coach. The only problem is no real head coach wants the job. I know there is no chance for Cowher or Dungy. What is the best chance for the Raiders? The obvious is hope for Al to sell the rest of his shares of the team and hope for new management. The other is something I can't bring myself to hope for but most Raiders fans are hoping for the worst for Al's health.

I came up with an idea, Oakland should hire Rich Gannon to be the new QB coach before Rich reached out. I am dead serious I text friends about it. My idea would have come true had Bernie, er Al, said no thanks. Al complained about Rich's comments on Russell earlier in the year. Rich was right on all targets. Russell is a lazy piece of crap and Gannon knows what it takes to win and be a leader. I believe Rich wouldn't be able to teach Russell. Bruce Gradkowski is a whole other story. Is Bruce the future? The jury is still out on that. I for one would have jumped at the chance for Rich to teach Bruce. They are similar style quarterbacks and have the same work ethic. The other big name I could see the Raiders going after is McNabb. OK, I know Al will go after Vick instead but give a guy some hope. McNabb would be a perfect fit in Oakland. Philly is contemplating whether to trade him or not. I say a 2nd and 5th round pick gets them to bite. Donovan would help the young wide receivers, give advice to the young quarterbacks and have no pressure to win more than 8 games. One more idea before I end this: Hire Jim Zorn to help out the quarterbacks, dump Russell and draft Tony Pike, QB from Cincinnati, in a later round. I don't know what it is about Pike. I guess you would call it a hunch. I think Pike is going to be a solid quarterback given the right place and opportunity.

I know I am throwing out many different scenarios. Can you blame me? I am on a sinking ship right now. I won't jump off in any scenario. I hope someone can throw me a life raft and can save me. By the end of this years draft, I'll be neck high in water and ready to vent again.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com