Monday, December 28, 2009

Raw 12-28

I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas. I live in West Central Iowa and I was snowed in for the entire weekend. I still had a Merry Christmas because my gift will be next week on Raw. I am hoping for a quality Raw to end the year and decade. I hate who the WWE chose to host Raw, Timbaland. What could he possibly bring to the show that I couldn't? It seems that every single week the second paragraph of the Raw blog is devoted to something other than Raw. On this night, it will be no different. I have to talk about the worst segment Showstoppers ever had last week.

Two weeks ago, I wrote a beautifully written blog about Bret the Hitman Hart. I was hoping when I tuned into ShowStoppers I would hear some intelligent conversation between John and Larry. Boy, did I get a big surprise! Larry and John compared the Hogan signing and the Bret Hart signing. I believe I did the same thing in the Hart blog. I am on the other side of this debate as I find that true wrestling fans believe Bret coming back to the WWE is a much larger story than Hogan to TNA. In fact, the Showstoppers hosts both said they would watch TNA next week and DVR Raw. After a statement like that, how could you ever take them serious? I am not dragging Larry or John down just because we have a difference in opinion. I would say that is the complete opposite on what I am trying to do. Please don't call me bias towards Bret either. I was a hulkamaniac a long time ago and loved the Hulkster growing up. I would never say that Bret is a bigger name in the general public than Hogan. My problem is that ever since November 9th, 1997, wrestling fans around the world thought Bret Hart would never be in a WWE ring again. Hulk Hogan has returned to the WWE a few times and I loved his run back from 2002-2004 plus his match with HBK at Summerslam 2005. Larry had the worst sentence of them all in the segment. He claimed that TNA will now have highlights on ESPN because they signed Hogan. Last time I checked, when Hogan signed with the WWE back in 2002 for his return there wasn't a Sportscenter moment. ESPN doesn't give a crap about Hogan at TNA and neither to most wrestling fans. ESPN only shows wrestling when it has something to with an athlete from one of the big sports, e.i. Mark Cuban or Johnny Damon.

What is TNA's roster filled with? I'll answer that for you, young talent. What happened in WCW back in its heyday? The talent was very young and full of hard workers. You had Chris Jericho, Chris Beniot, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Big Show and countless others. Hogan never put over any of that young talent, EVER! Look at the list of names I typed above. Every single one of those guys became a World Champion in WWF/E. Will Hogan put over young talent in TNA? He wouldn't job to Orton or HBK in the WWE. Hogan continues to look out for Hogan and that is the biggest concern I have about him at TNA. Bret on the other hand brings something fresh and exciting to the WWE. I believe it is well known by anyone who reads this blog, I am an old school wrestling fan. Bret signing makes me believe that the screw job is done and over with. Everyone has moved on and wants the best for the business. I'm excited to see what happens on WWE. Until TNA makes a giant step in the right direction I will keep my remote down and locked on Raw. So next week, don't expect this writer to talk about anything on the TNA show. Sorry it won't happen. As for Showstoppers, Larry, John and I will continue to disagree on this hot topic. In the end, it's great for the business to have such a huge debate. I apologize for this rant going on long. Now that I have got that off my chest, I can move on to the final Raw of the decade.

I like John Cena opening up the show. I am hoping the WWE will build up the rematch tonight from this first segment. I enjoyed the first segment tonight. I didn't want to see another Tables match. After seeing Sheamus go through the table, I have a feeling he will keep his title in the rematch. I am almost rooting for Sheamus tonight. The whole reason you give Sheamus the title is to make him into a main eventer. If you take away the belt to quickly, fans will never believe he even earned the title in the first place. You take away his credibility without having him keep it until the Royal Rumble.

To save my time and yours, I will not be writing anything about Timbaland because I don't give a crap about him or his rapping career. Legacy in the back with Orton is something I have an interest in. Orton talked about breaking up Legacy. The WWE is going to mess this all up. Dibiase had a great in ring segment with Orton a few months back. They didn't keep the momentum going afterwards. Now tonight looks like the end and there was no build up towards it.

Dibiase is a budding superstar. He maybe the wrestler who goes to Smackdown in next years draft. The match between Bourne and Dibiase is a nice match up. Bourne sells better than anyone on Raw. I was left speechless after Bourne did a standing hurricarana with Dibiase on the top rope. They messed up the ending on the launch but it was a decent effort from both men. I wonder if the WWE will set all this Legacy stuff up for a triple threat match at Mania. Back to back Legacy matches worked for me. The more in ring wrestling means less backstage crap which I don't want to see anyway. I was shocked Rhodes won so quickly. Legacy will stay together until the Rumble.

The first time in several weeks, DX had a funny backstage segment. I guess Larry was right about one thing, Hornswaggle helps DX in the comedy department. Big Show has a mystery partner tonight. How many of you guessed Jericho in some kind of costume?

I am crazy for blonds so needless to say I was crazy for Kelly Kelly and Maryse. I think Maryse gets hotter every time I see her. Both women have been improving their in ring skills. Maryse needed the victory to gain some momentum before taking on Melina for the Diva title. I hope that is next week on Raw.

Jericho had been outside protesting to be back on Raw. Show and Jerichos segment was like a relationship breaking up. I found it very funny.

Finally Vincent Kennedy McMahon came to the ring to announced Bret Hart will return to the WWE ring next week. The WWE put together a great tribute match and I felt like I was 10 again. They couldn't leave out the screw job. The Montreal screw job will always be one of those long wrestling debates. It is the JFK assassination of wrestling. Vince goes on as the normal heel chairman of the board. I don't know if his story about the Hall of Fame was true or not. Vince wouldn't say the words I was dying to hear. The thing I was most intrigued about this whole Bret Hart signing is how would the WWE play it out. I thought HBK was going to talk about Bret but instead flipped the switch. HBK used the old reverse psychology on Vince. I have no idea what Shawn meant by only good things will happen if Bret comes back. I think Vince did though. Obviously Vince and Shawn are going to be a huge part when Bret does comeback. The entire segment made me giddy like a little boy. How can you not be interested in next weeks Raw?

I loved the fact that Sheamus retaliated on Cena for his FU threw the table. The champion should be angry and get some revenge. A good heel always does.
MVP getting in the hunt for anything on Raw would be a blessing. He has been underutilized the entire 2009. Miz could use another catchphrase instead of 'really'.

Miz and Kofi could be having two matches in the same night. Hell that is more than Miz has had on Raw in two months total. The first match sure didn't last long. Trouble in Paradise in less than a minute. Crazy spot and Miz made it look pretty good. Yes! I nearly screamed when Orton interfered. A great looking RKO on the floor to Kofi surely locked up another match between the two on either Raw next week or the Rumble. I am ready for the cold calculating Orton to return.

DX having the tag team belts is fine with me if they actually defend them once in a while on TV. The WWE seems to have no clue what to do with Big Show. Big Show and Chavo? Why? Did you hear the Y2J chants? I love the fact Jericho is still showing up on Raw each week. I wonder, as a fellow Canadian, how he feels about Hart coming back? Chavo has been on the longest losing streak in WWE history. How am I suppose to believe he will be a better tag partner than Jericho? I can't, it is really that simple people. Yes, wrestling is fake but the storyline needs to be somewhat believable. Chavo lost to Hornswaggle in about a million different ways and now I have to see him battle DX. I like Chavo and think he needs to leave Raw to ECW and rebuild his reputation. Jericho can always make anything look good and he certainly did with SCM. DX and JeriShow next week for the final time.

The last image of 2009 and the decade could be either Sheamus or Cena holding the WWE title.
I was really hoping Timbaland was going to be the guest ring announcer. Cena came down at the 10 o'clock mark on the nose. This is hardly enough time to have a WWE title match. I was guessing Raw would go long after I saw that. Cena could be an eight time world champion if he wins tonight. I liked the fact they came out swinging right from the bell. The match needed to be an aggressive one by the champion. Who didn't see that coming? Cena wins to continue his winning streak but only by dq. The WWE could go in a few directions with Cena now. He get one more match with Sheamus at the Royal Rumble. Cena could have just blown his chance at his rematch and now would be in limbo like Orton was when Cena had the belt. The only chance Cena would have is to win the Rumble in the second scenario. Next week, I bet I get my answer as to what direction they go with him.

Next weeks Raw is going to be huge. DX vs JeriShow for the tag titles. Orton vs Kofi in a rubber match. Bret Hart's return could be as "The King" said the biggest news of the Decade. TNA will start up the Monday Night Wars. I don't know the ratings TNA has been getting on Spike but I doubt they make a dent into what WWE has been getting. Vince always comes up big when he has competition. The way next weeks Raw is setting up, you can see Vince wants to make sure TNA doesn't even approach his league. I will be back next week for another Raw blog. In segment 2, I will make another camo on ShowStoppers. I hope you all check that out since I have a new nickname on their show. Have a happy and safe New Year. I said it last week but it's worth repeating: Thank you for your continued support and reading my opinion on wrestling this past year. I appreciate all that you do for me. I look forward to continue writing in the up coming 2010. I know sometimes we may have a difference in opinion but that is what makes it all fun.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com