Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wrestlemania Pick Blog

The time has come, Wrestlemania is upon us. The WWE fell short for weeks until Monday. Raw did exactly what its purpose was and that is to get me ready for this Sunday. I don't remember a better go home show ever. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. Stone Cold did the beer truck promo the Raw before Wrestlemania XV. Still, Monday did its job and I am ready for the biggest wrestling show of the year. I expect some twists, turns and swerves on Sunday. A few I want to see and one I hope doesn't happen. I know it is early to talk about Wrestlemania 28 since I'm just getting to Mania 27 picks. The WWE prepares for next years Mania right after so I thought I would help out.

In the last 3 years, The Undertaker has wrestled HBK twice and HHH this year. Who the hell is left for Taker? I read some reports that Taker was going to wrestle Wade Barrett this year. Of course, then 2-21-11 was going to be Sting and Taker. We know that was all smoke and mirrors now. Maybe Barrett was a lie and the WWE always knew Triple H was going to face Taker. That may never be solved. The real problem is who can take Triple H spot next year and be victim number 20?


The current roster only has two studs and one of them has already faced Undertaker. Randy Orton won't be getting a rematch against Taker anytime soon. They wrestled at Wrestlemania 21 in a phenomenal contest. John Cena on the other hand is a different story. Cena is the only mega star left the WWE has yet to use in the streak. I think it could happen. If WWE really wanted to get Cena heel, have him beat Taker and do it by cheating. WWE would have a riot on their hands. I look at Cena versus Taker the same way as Austin vs. Taker. It's not going to happen. The payoff isn't there. In all the years of the streak, Taker has only faced 2 mega stars, HBK and HHH. Edge, Orton and Batista aren't quite up to that level. Cena is a likely candidate but I don't see it.


Miz might be an option. He's certainly proved he can deliver during this Rock/Cena/Miz triangle mess. Miz has looked, played and acted like a main event player. The build would have to be perfect in order for fans to buy Wrestlemania for that match. Miz could team up with the owner Vincent Kennedy McMahon to help the fans believe he has a shot. Hell, if Vince weren't rising past 60, he could end up being an option. I'm kind of surprised that never happened.


Wade Barrett has a chance for redemption. Again, it's all about the story. The story would have worked this year. Nexus buried Taker and the set up was there. To be able to replicate that for next year may be difficult. Wade would have to "injure" Taker or something to that affect. It seems like the current roster may not have the star. What about the guy hosting this years Wrestlemania?


The People's Champ says he is going to stick around forever. I'm sure forever means a few months after Wrestlemania. He has said he would wrestle again. Okay, take on Cena at Summerslam in August and create some magic with The Deadman. I would love this match and I don't care who the bad guy is. They would be a lot like Triple H and HBK where neither were a heel. The Rock would sell tickets, as he is this year. This is a pipe dream but then again so is this next guy.

My pick on a 'No chance in hell but a fan can dream' vote for The Undertaker's opponent at Wrestlemania 28 is Kurt Angle. What! I said Kurt Angle! I am aware Angle is currently on the TNA roster. I know he has said he is loyal to TNA. He has also said he doesn't want to work full time once his contract ends this summer. The Olympic Gold medalist would be hard pressed to turn down an offer from the WWE if they said we want you to face The Undertaker. That is a huge vote of confidence in Angle. If Angle were to sign a contract in say October, I wouldn't reveal him until the Royal Rumble. Sure it's a hot shot angle (pun intended) but it would work. Kurt would eliminate Taker and brawl it on the outside. Angle would come through the crowd as opposed to be one of the participants. Security gets Angle and Taker separated. The promo begins on Friday Night Smackdown with The Undertaker saying Angle is a dead man. He wanted one more shot at Wrestlemania for the world title. Angle comes to the ring with a huge smile on his face. He starts talking about how all he ever hears about around this time is the streak. The rest writes itself. Angle and The Undertaker would rock. I would love to see it.

The Corre vs. The Freaks er Kozlov, Santino, Kane, Show

This match should be Corre vs. Show, Kane and Kofi. They take the belt off Kofi and keep him off the card. I hate it. Anyway, Corre is wasting away. I like Barrett and Gabriel. The Gabriel Slater tag team has a decent future. I'm not into this match at all. I thought it was funny on Raw with everyone doing the trumpet thing. That's the only thing I remember of this entire story. The Corre win.


Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes

This match has great potential. I loved the build. Dusty Rhodes was involved, Cody has been much darker and Rey always plays his role well. Rey and Cody deserve at least 15 minutes of in ring time. I wouldn't be surprised if the American Dream tries to help his son. I will watch this match with complete focus to see if Rhodes can handle the spotlight and bring a great match. I think he will. In the end, dial it up R-E-Y with the win.


United States Championship Match

Sheamus (c) vs. Daniel Bryan

The match that should kick off Wrestlemania. The build hasn't been all there. I hated the squash match with Sheamus and Bourne. Both men have a bright future in the WWE. I said it in my Raw blog that these two can provide a spark and get the crowd involved from the start of Wrestlemania. I love this match and the competitors. I hope they give me what I want, a back and forth contest. I think they will and the Irish Ghost steals a victory.


Jerry The King Lawler vs. Michael Cole w/Swagger in his corner and Stone Cold as the ref

This could go one way, which is a beer bash and Lawler beating the crap out of Cole from the bell, or the other way, which is Hart/Vince from last year. I don't think there is much middle ground. Steve hits a stunner or 12 and Lawler wins. The match is better than last years Hart vs. Vince.


Randy Orton vs. CM Punk

A match with show stealing potential. These two have had the best overall story on Raw. WWE actually used the history to add a different flavor. Nexus members have been gone for quite a while, we might see one of them return to help Punk. They may hold that off for Raw. I think the story continues. I'm torn but I'll say Punk gets the victory.


Dolph Ziggler and LayCool vs. John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Jersey Whore

Celebrities don't normally lose. In fact, I'm not sure if they ever have. The only thing I can hope for is a lot of Ziggler Morrison and less the Divas. They are the future and should get a shot to shine. Morrison and crew take down the heels. Although, I will be rooting for Ziggler.


World Heavyweight Championship

Edge (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio

It is Del RRRRRRio's destiny to win the World heavyweight championship at Wrestlemania. I sound like a broken record but don't turn Christian heel. He shouldn't be a heel. I believe this is a sure bet, Del Rio will be the World Heavyweight Champion.


WWE Title Match

Miz (c) vs. John Cena

How does Rock get involved? He is definitely going to be in the match some way, shape or form. WWE has used a lot of time to build him up with Cena and Miz. He has to do something. I just don't know what that is. If he is going wrestle, he could cost Cena the match. Miz would get a major boast if he walks out with the belt. For some reason, the picture of Cena raising the WWE title and then receiving a Rock Bottom is in my mind. That's what I will go with. Cena wins.


The Undertaker vs. Triple H

I do think this match will end Wrestlemania. Raw brought me back into this story. I was drifting away. Shawn Michaels made be in the mix for an appearance during the match. He's done wrestling though so where would the payoff be if he cost Triple H? There isn't one. I've yelled it on ShowStoppers, I've wrote it several times and I am telling you right now, The Streak will never die. Triple H and HBK can do anything in this match but the outcome will remain. I hope I'm wrong because I smell a disappointment in this match. 19-0 will happen on Sunday. Enjoy the festivities with your buddies. No wrestling fan deserves to be alone on Sunday night. Get your ass to a party or create one. This is WRESTLEMANIA!

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com