Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Raw 2-7

I was somewhat upset after the previous Raw which gave Lawler the number 1 contender to Miz's title. Otherwise, Raw and Smackdown weren't all that bad. Smackdown provided some compelling wrestling in their main event. Elimination Chamber is setting up nicely. Raw can continue to build momentum and hype for something very big on 2-21-11. It succeeded in one aspect but failed in another.

Vincent Kennedy McMahon showing up was certainly a surprise. I would love to see McMahon back each week. My guess is Bob Barker will host Mania. I've heard rumors he was coming back. Plus, he did an excellent job as celebrity host on Raw. Let the speculation begin. Randall Orton did indeed cost Punk his WHC back in '08. I love the WWE bringing that footage into this feud. It adds more elements to the story. Hell, usually the WWE forgets what happened a month ago. The opener worked out well. Punk received a bloody nose but got revenge on Orton. As I said about Miz and Orton, the heel needs revenge. The story gets boring if the face always gets the better. If you compare Corre and Nexus, Raw has built up their group a lot more than Smackdown has used Corre. They've looked pretty average.

The Raw GM could e-mail during the commercials every time. I wouldn't have to deal hearing Michael Cole. Cena stole my joke about the Aguilera national anthem when it came to Truth. Damn you Cena and your joke stealing ways. Anyway, I found it funny Cole lead the cheer of Milwaukee. Mason Ryan got some much needed ring time. I wanted to see what he can do. You can tell he's very green. I liked his submission, haven't seen that in years. I especially liked the torture rack to Truth's leg. I didn't care about the decision. Crowd didn't care either. They were to busy mocking Truth to feel sorry for him.

Holy crap balls, Gail Kim got to wrestle. Divas match was forgettable. I just can't get over Kim got to wrestle. I know your not going to miss Raw next week for the showdown of Eve vs. Natalya for the Diva's title. Okay, maybe that's not high on the list. Still, it's a title match and we can hope it will last longer than 5 minutes.

The new 2-21-11 video makes me believe its The Undertaker. The video plays the same Johnny Cash song as the promo for last years' Taker HBK match. The lyrics brought more hints, "There ain't no grave that can hold my body down." Taker was last seen buried alive.

I know the WWE thought about eliminating Hell in a Cell. I read they felt it was old. I disagree. The Chamber and the Cell are to unique structures to quit using them. I wish the Cell was build up a little more. They throw two guys in there like Orton and Sheamus and try to make it feel special. It didn't work. The Chamber does feel special because of when its used. The pay per view before Mania needs a gimmick. The Chamber executes that to perfection.

Starship pain was beautifully executed. Morrison doesn't always hit that move perfectly. Perhaps that is why he developed the running knee. The match wasn't anything special. It seemed Raw was filling time with a matches less than 7 minutes. I'm okay with that when it comes to Ryan and McGillicuty. Those two are young and shouldn't be exposed to a long match. They are helping get the point across without long bouts. At this moment, Punk was ruling Raw.

The Miz and King were compelling television. They did an excellent job playing off the other. Miz shocked me saying he patterned his success after King. I figured he would agree that King was the weakest challenger. Bryan and Dibiase getting involved made it all that much better. They've had a mini feud for a long time but never meant anything. Pairing the two with the number 1 contender and WWE champion means something. Best of all, the four men were given time. King and Miz had the best promo and the tag match was the best match on Raw. I'm not sure what it is. Call it childhood memories, nostalgia whatever you want, I'm starting to believe in King. The chances are slim and high unlikely the WWE would put the belt on King. But say it did happen. 2-21-11 Raw begins with King walking out as WWE champion. Michael Cole is flipping out. King starts to talk about earning it...Miz interrupts and asks for his rematch tonight. The Raw GM chimes in and makes the match. Miz wins back the belt with some help from Cole and Riley. The scenario sets up Miz and Cena and a handicap match at Mania. Now, you can do the same thing at the Elimination Chamber. You may get farther by giving Lawler the win first and then crumble the dreams on free TV.

Mark Henry has started to be built up quite a bit. A beat down on Sheamus is a pretty big thing. The Irish Ghost will get revenge next week. The big disappointment was the crowds reaction.

The crowd got hot for Santino. We might not see Del Rio much on Raw after the EC. It's a great idea to keep him in the spotlight until then. Once the Chamber is over, Del Rio should focus on the WHC. I'm just hoping its still Edge. I don't want Rey and Del Rio.

If you haven't seen it on BBSD, check out the locker room in the TNA subject. Larry and I have had a big debate on Ziggler. I know, its the wrong company. I believe Larry brought Ziggler up so it's his fault. He doesn't remember much at his old age. Cole said (and I quote), "Cena is starting to bore me." Thanks Cole for reading the blog. I've been saying that for a long ass time. Cena is boring. An assist can go to King for Cena getting the best of Nexus. They made everyone in the Elimination Chamber match look weak except Cena. Typical. He's probably going to win anyway.

Raw wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. King and Miz provided the best segment and were part of the best match. I'm sure the IWC is going nuts over the new 2-21-11 video. The rest of Raw was nothing to remember. Even VKM's announcement didn't wow me. Be sure to hit up the locker room on BBSD. There is always some good debates on sports and wrestling. You can find the best wrestling radio show on their as well in ShowStoppers. If you want to e-mail me, send it to jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com. Wooooo!

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com