Monday, January 31, 2011

Raw 1-31

The Road to Wrestlemania has kicked off. Raw set up two stories at the rumble. No doubt Cena and Miz will headline in a WWE title match. Randy Orton and Punk are locked as well. Tonight, we will see where guys like Morrison, Sheamus and others will fall. The Rumble certainly brought a few surprises. I wondered what Raw would bring before the pyro hit. Well, I was certainly surprised by the end of the broadcast. Before we get there, we must take a closer look at what was the Royal Rumble.

Did I notice the Rumble having extra men? Yes, the rumble match was too long. It dragged on and didn't bring any excitement at the finish (except Santino which was brilliant). In the end, I'm extremely happy Del Rio won. I understand casual fans didn't like the Rumble match. Nexus dominated for a span and the ring never filled up much. I felt having Nexus dominate helped the group gain some momentum they had previously lost. On the flip side, Corre was rather weak aside from Barrett. Miz got the cheap win, as I predicted. Edge and Ziggler stole the show. Their opener was a fantastic match. They developed a story inside the ring, a few close calls and provided doubt that Edge may not survive. Ziggler sells as well as Mr. Perfect back in the day. Dolph was the big winner on Sunday night. The loser was John Morrison. I know he pulled off a miracle move and it was special. Fans believed he was a dark horse to win. Instead, he was easy pickings for Nexus and didn't end up close to the finish. I said in a previous blog, Morrison could look stronger than Ziggler. I still believe that but the writers didn't allow it. He's the most interesting guy on Raw, as in I have no idea where his future is headed.

The opening celebration was fantastic. Del Rio is the perfect heel with his combo of JBL with a 100 more times the charisma. I was a little surprised they made the announcement so quickly of Edge and Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Title. The WWE has done a great job building a new star in Del Rio. Del Rio and Edge will provide a match worthy of a great main event. I wish Christian can comeback in time to get involved. Most of the time, I'd be pissed if Raw spent the opening segment on a Smackdown star. This time, it didn't bother me. Del Rio's announcement gives us 2 months to salivate over the potential match.

Raw has done a good job of exposing Harris and McGillicuty. In the beginning of Nexus, these two were nothings. They are something now. The truth is the tag division will never be as good as TNA. Their division is strong and loaded. I don't care that the WWE doesn't have 10 teams. I just want to see them use the ones they have. If they keep Harris and McGillicuty together, that's a start. I still wish they kept Cryme Tyme. Santino and Kozlov have grown on me. The cobra is hilarious. The crowd even gets pumped to see the odd couple. A good win and then..

Boy, did things switch gears in a hurry? The crowd jumped to their feet for Orton. As much as I hated the end of Orton and Miz title match at the Rumble, it still leads to Punk Orton at Mania. I'd rather see them duke it out than Miz and Cena. Orton said he was to nice in 2010. Good to see the cold calculating Orton return in 2011. He won't punt them all because the Nexus needs to be together for their showdown versus the Corre at Wrestlemania. However, in one punt Orton succeeded something Cena never could, actually get rid of a Nexus member.

The whole Dibiase segment leads to Maryse perhaps changing to a face and the thought of a Lawler Dibiase match down the line. That thought went away at the end of Raw. It still could be in the works as Lawler could help Dibiase get over. This is the exact reason you keep guys like Lawler and Booker around. They helped elevate the young talent. They've pushed Lawler to much (more later) and Booker could come in on Friday night to help Drew.

Bryan and Kidd was meaningless as was the Uso Henry Kahli dance off pants off. Just have Gail Kim wrestle Kong already.

Edge and Miz had a nice match. Cena's little tactics are stupid and yet it worked tonight. Cena had to get a little revenge. I thought Miz might try to get involved in the main event. Alas, it was not to be and Cena got the last laugh on Miz this evening.

Sunday night, I was disappointed Awesome Kong didn't debut. I felt giving Eve the belt made no sense. After time to deliberate my thought process, I was wrong. Nobody saw it coming. Everyone felt Triple H and Kong were returning/debuting at the Rumble. The WWE held off and I'm even more excited in anticipation for them. Meanwhile, Eve gives LayCool someone new.

I don't know who or what will happen on 2-21-11 or what those little videos are. I want to believe it's the Undertaker. That's a complete guess. The 21st is a Monday so that wouldn't make sense. I'll crap my pants if it's Sting.

Wow, Truth eliminating Orton was a total shock, in a good way. Miz and Orton is over so moving forward is a great move. Plus, the air in the arena was sucked out when Truth did that. A total shock move. I didn't like the finish of Sunday's Rumble as it didn't give any real moments such as Truth's moment on Raw. Raw's battle royal did a nice job adding suspense. I loved everything except Lawler winning. It's to much. He's had a shot in the TLC match a few months back. He shouldn't headline a ppv, especially one that is prior to Mania. I'd rather see Sheamus or Morrison get that shot. As it is, Lawler will get the opportunity and that's not going to change. We have to deal with it. He's over with the crowd and I'm sure that was a major factor in this decision. I will just have to disagree with it. If it leads to Lawler's first ever Mania match with Cole and Riley, then I might change my mind.

Well that's it for this WWE blogger. I will return next week. Are you still waiting for another round of wrestling mailbag? Well, your chances are slowly dwindling. Email me at jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com and maybe you will get in the next one coming to a computer near you. Make sure you're hitting up www.bigbadsportsdaddy.com for all the good stuff we have to offer, I guess that includes the fellas from ShowStoppers.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com