Monday, February 21, 2011

Raw 2-21




The night has finally arrived. The speculation is over. The WWE had to love the hype. Elimination Chamber didn't change a whole lot. Cena and Miz are main eventing the Raw side of Mania. The Smackdown side could see a triple threat match with Captain Charisma's return. I'm a big peep, by the way. Raw brought more to the table. Last week, Rock made the headlines. This week, The Undertaker and Triple H are the real story.

Cena was the right way to start the show. The Rock embarassed him. He had to address the fans. I will say Cena eating the bowl of Fruitie Pebbles was funny. On this night, Cena needed to be serious. His focus at the beginning was on Rock. The Thuganomics and rap was fantastic. This mic stuff is exactly what Cena had to do. If Cena rapped more, I wouldn't hate him so much. Now, I hope we can keep this going and the Rock can rebutal.

Morrison showed off that unique skill only he possess at the EC. John is really intriguing to follow the next 5 weeks. I know I sound like a broken record. I don't see any feud or story except the Money in the Bank, which I hate. Morrison's been on a big high for months. It seems cheap to throw him into the MITB. I made reference in the Locker Room that Morrison and Ziggler should wrestle for the #1 contendership for their show's title. Dolph has since been fired so that's likely out. On the other hand, Punk is facing Orton. I couldn't be happier to see that match. They've kept the story interesting since the Rumble. Morrison and Punk didn't provide much entertainment inside the squared circle. What they did provide is showing Morrison's heart and guts. Also, Punk helped promote the future match at Mania. Thank you live crowd. Randall got the chants he deserves.

I would've picked Del Rio over Kofi in my pick blog had I known it was a non-title bout. Kofi's sneak attack was a surprise. I just wish he had been successful. Kofi's revenge will have to wait for another time. Meanwhile, Friday Night will belong to C-squared and Del Rio. Smackdown will bring a match or two between them before the mega event.

Okay, the Miz is still the champ. I knew Lawler wasn't going to win. The verbal assaults continue as Miz got his revenge...sort of. I did enjoy his mocking of The Rock. I hated the announcement of the tag titles being defended. The tag belts should be defended against Santino and Kozlov. You know, the guys the fans were behind in the last several weeks. The ones that should get a rematch clause. Stupid booking.

Gail Kim must have blown one of the writers. I mean two weeks in a row she got to wrestle is some type of record for her. Bellas are limited in wrestling ability. Hey, I'm trying to be nice. They must be getting a slight push picking up a win. I loved hearing Stratus is helping with Tough Enough. Rumors have her potentially wrestling at Mania. Good idea if the belt is no where near her. The perfect scenario is Kong debuts and beats up Beth and Natalya and teams with LayCool. A 6 Diva tag pitting Beth, Natalya and the greatest women's wrestler ever, Trish Stratus against LayCool and Kong.

The videos, the hype and the entrance were all worth it. I know some maybe disappointed it was only Taker. To them, I say shut up. Wrestlemania wouldn't be the event it is had Taker missed the show. It's been ten years since the Game and Taker faced each other at Wrestlemania XVII. They had an epic encounter. I wanted the rematch and I want to see them duke it out again. The E chouldn't get Brock or Sting. I don't care because the Game is more important. I've waited months to hear 'Time to Play the Game'. I got what I wanted on 2-21-11. There was no reason for words. The hand signals gave everything we needed. A lot of times the hype is better than the actual event. This won't be one of those times. They are two of the most respected individuals in wrestling history. Trips will try and out do his idol. Taker will try to prove he's still got it. Can they give a better match than the previous two years with Michaels? No, probably not. Will they provide the best match as far as story? Yes indeed. By miles and miles.

The biggest loser in all of this is King Sheamus. We all felt Triple H would return to dethrone the Irish Ghost. Now what? He, much like Morrison, might be thrown into MITB. Again, I hate it. Sheamus has been pushed hard over the course of the last year and a half. Find an opponent and make something meaningful. The two time WWE champ deserves better. The mini feud with Henry isn't done. Henry getting a win sets up one more match.

How can you not smile seeing Hacksaw? He never won a singles title and was never a main event wrestler. He still deserves a spot in the Hall. He's a special character and had a place in all of the old school wrestling fans hearts. Hoooooo! USA! USA!

I must say The King still has it. The crowd was on the edge of their seat. You have to give credit to Cole as well. The cheap heat mentioning Lawler's mom was an added personal element. The match will be bowling shoe ugly. I'm talking Bret vs. Vince Mania XXVI ugly. The payoff will be the same as their match. It will send off Cole's heel character and give Lawler the match he deserved for 20 years.
So let me try to understand the ending. You know what, it's to stupid to explain. I'll just get pissed. I don't want to ruin the return of Taker and Triple H by getting mad at the ending.
Be sure to check out BBSD for all the wrestling opinions as well as some great bloggers on the sports world. ShowStoppers will electrify you in the only way they can. If you don't like my opinion, then argue with me in the Locker Room or email me at jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com. I look forward to having debates with intelligent wrestling fans.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com