Monday, February 14, 2011

Raw 2-14

First off, my condolences to Jerry Lawler and his family for the loss of his mother. My heart goes out to them. Now, onto the biggest news to hit the wrestling world in a LONG time. Let the speculation begin as to what the Great One will do at Mania. He's a host but will he wrestle? He talked crap about Cena. Could a one on one match happen? The Rock wasn't even a thought in my mind 3 hours ago. Now, he's all I can think about. I thought 2-21-11 was going to be a night to remember. 2-14 topped it before it happened.

Before I get into Raw, I want to talk about the other wrestling program. Yeah, that's right TNA. Against all Odds was last night and as usual, TNA screwed a few things up. I've been watching TNA for the past 6 months. I've gone through two "they" story lines, several title changes and Kurt Angle retiring twice. Even with the faults, one person has kept me interested and he hails from Green Bay, Wisconsin, Misterrrr Anderson. Anderson is providing entertainment, the kind I felt he could bring to the WWE before being released. I once deemed Anderson as Mr. Potential. He had all the makings of a huge star but the breaks always fell the other way. TNA has blossomed him until Sunday. Anderson should still be the TNA world champion. He deserved a long run. I know the Impact Zone isn't always where the most real wrestling fans are. They get in for free and half of them know what an arm bar is. Anderson was getting the whole crowd involved and screaming a$$hole. Jeff's dealing with legal issues and TNA's world title shouldn't be on him. Anderson is the future. Don't bury him for guys like RVD, Hardy or Jarrett. Showcase the guy who is becoming a huge star.

As shocking as this sounds, I didn't mind Cena opening the show. Although, Cena talked to long. Less talkie, more wrestling. The Cole jokes were fine, everything else was boring. Cole and Mathews (who did a great job on the broadcast) mentioned Nexus being unable to interfere in the Chamber match. I think somehow they make their way into the match. HBK snuck underneath and cost Taker in the Chamber so it can be done. Nexus should try everything to help their leader on Sunday. Why wouldn't the Raw GM take Punk out of the match if Nexus were banned and they helped him? Oh, forgot I'm not allowed to think or analyze anything. Sorry, WWE for thinking like a human being.

Edge and Del Rio are destined to be in the WHC match at Wrestlemania. They've teased it enough that it would be a shame to change the match. I wondered how the WHC story would be resolved. I don't mind Ziggler gets the belt on Friday night and gives more obstacles to Edge. This way, Sunday will be a day of revenge for Edge. I don't like Vicki firing Kelly Kelly and/or Edge. That crap is played out. Wade and Corre need to be the ones who took out Teddy. They've been weak. No reason to swerve from them.

The new 2-21-11 video was obviously easy to figure out. Taker is returning next week to Monday night Raw. I'm not disappointed as some probably are. They were hoping for Sting. I'm excited for Taker. Even though, WWE shouldn't have made it so easy.

The real reason everyone turned into Raw was the much anticipated Divas title contest. Okay probably not. Eve isn't a good worker so adding Bellas and Kim is a great idea. Natalya did her best to help the overall product. I love Natalya and she is my dream date. The division overall needs a kick in the ass. Some type of spark to bring interest. I think Kim could provide something fresh. Awesome Kong would as well.

Daniel Bryan and Miz was awesome, pun intended. Raw may only have 4 or 5 matches every week which is to say, not a lot of in ring time. However, if they would have matches such as the Miz Bryan contest, casual fans would be tuning in more. They want more in ring action and less crapola. Miz and Bryan gave me exactly what I wanted. Miz also did a nice job hyping the match this Sunday against the King. It sucks Lawler couldn't be there to help put the match over. I'm anxious for the WWE title match at EC.

Was I smoking weed or did Raw start by telling us Truth and Morrison were competing one on one? Thanks to Cole, we were tole the Raw GM changed it. Man, that was close. I thought I took a bad drug. Why even announce it in the beginning since you changed it? WWE, stupid booking. Either way, the match wasn't all that great. Morrison got his revenge. The big question is what is Morrison doing next week. He's not winning the EC. Jericho could return to wrestle Morrison. I recommended Larry's boy take on my boy Ziggler in a match where the winner receives a title match on their respective show. I don't know if MITB will be on the Mania card since it has been made to a stand alone pay per view. Maybe the E brings it back since the mid carders need a match. Morrison is a highly intriguing prospect for the big event.

Normally, I'd hate the whole Kahli kiss cam. It's Valentine's Day so it worked. It even had laugh out loud moments. Regal and Maryse were hilarious and Hornswaggle didn't bother me.

WWE mentioned Summerslam is returning to the Staples Center this year. The event was held in the same arena in '09. I think the reason is simple. California has hot crowds. They were screaming RKO RKO. Crowds make a big difference during events. The attitude era were the best crowds. Austin and Rock nearly caused riots. Nowadays, we are lucky if the crowds are hot once a month. Anaheim was a good crowd. Sheamus got revenge, as I said he would, on Henry. Then, he and Orton did a nice job with the time they were given. Cena and Orton stand tall and I hated it. I'd rather seen Orton deliver an RKO to Cena. The Chamber is every man for himself and Orton isn't suppose to be a nice guy any longer. Hit the damn RKO next time.

The WWE knows how to throw a curveball. They tease a woman and give us the most electrifying man in sports entertainment, the great one, the people's champion THE ROCK! Fans never forget Rock. We never forget. The Rocky chants, the millions and millions and the cussing were everything a guy like me who grew up watching and witnessing the attitude era could hope for. The fans in the arena and around the world were treated to the best segment in years. The Rock was pure greatness. They way he spoke, perhaps he's more than a guest host. I know the Rock has said he would never wrestle again. Maybe he changed his mind. I have no idea. Let the speculation begin..if you smell what the Rock is cooking.

You may as well forget everything that happened on Raw because the night belongs to the Rock. Nothing else will be talked about. The Elimination Chamber is an after thought. Once the IF YA SMELL hit the arena speakers, Raw became the Rock show. This Sunday, the EC will take place and we will find out a lot more about the road to Wrestlemania. Check out the best wrestling radio host in the industry, John Conner on BBSD's ShowStoppers, where he carries the other guy. Be sure to hit the locker room for more trash talking between me and the other guy. I'll return sometime later in the week for a PICK BLOG.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com