Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Groundhog Day

One year ago, I wasn't a happy Raider fan. Tom Cable hadn't proved anything. Darren McFadden was on the verge of bust. Jamarcus Russell's waist size was on the verge of exploding. The team was a complete mess and then something happened. The players started to rally around Cable. The draft was praised because Oakland drafted quality football players. The best thing to happen was signing offensive coordinator Hue Jackson (it may end up being the worst thing.) The team started to perform. Flash forward to Sunday January, 2nd, 2011 and I couldn't have been happier for an 8-8 season. The team came together under Cable and Jackson. Two days later, Cable is fired and the Raiders are back...as the laughing stock of the league.

If you take a closer look at this season, you will find the Oakland Raiders played great football throughout the season. They had three losses that were inexcusable. I blame the organization for the loss against Arizona, Miami and San Francisco. Other than that, the season was a success. Hard to believe an 8-8 season is called a success but it is the Raiders. I will take 3 no shows over 11. Oakland improved in dramatic fashion on both sides of the ball. The offense, even with the carousel at quarterback, put up huge numbers. McFadden showed signs of brilliance, averaged over 5 yards a carry and ended up with over 1,100 rushing yards. The team average of 354.6 yards a game was 10th in the league. As I mentioned in the season preview, the Wide Receivers were the most important. They didn't help out consistently but still managed to help Campbell reach his 2nd highest career qb rating. Hue should receive a ton of credit for how the offense performed. I'm not ready to give him the head coaching job and fire the guy who seems to have the backing of all the players. Cable is a players coach. They loved him and you don't push away a guy the team loves, unless he's not getting results. Cable was getting results and they were improving. John Marshall was getting the defense turned around as well. They ranked 2nd in passing yards allowed. Even if the rushing defense was the best, 29th in the league, and yet finished 11th overall. This team was moving towards getting to the playoffs next season. The time wasn't right to turn a 180 and go the complete opposite direction.

One big thing was the locker rooms love for Cable. You can't have a mutiny. Shane Lechler has played through 6 coaches since 2000. He came out with a great quote, "I just want to know what the hell is going on ... how do you justify firing somebody when you just went 6-0 in the division and 8-8 in the season after we put in so much as a group, as a unit, as a team with our leader being Tom Cable. He later said, "I can't go through another head coach." Man I sure am pumped after hearing that. I mean how can I not be ready for next year. The players have a right to be pissed. I understood firing Kiffin, Shell and Callahan. They stunk! Gruden was traded because Al is crazy. Cable was fired because Al is crazy. I believe I have said this before and it's worth mentioning again, being a Raider fan is like watching Groundhog Day and Weekend at Bernie's combined.

Nobody knows what's going to happen. My guess is he will hire Hue Jackson. If I'm Hue, I run for my life. The 49ers are looking at him as well. I would run across the bay to San Fran. They aren't as messed up as the Raiders. If I'm a free agent, I sign anywhere. You might as well jump ship before the captain rams it into a giant glacier Titanic style. I'm certain the ship is already going down. I just have to wait to see how quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com