Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Raw 1-17

I have to admit I was looking forward to a John Cena match. Cena and Punk are having a good story. Raw needed to step up and work on building the Rumble match. I loved the opener on Smackdown because it really showed wrestlers are gearing up for the Rumble. Del Rio, Truth, Rhodes and Rey were talking about the match. I didn't care for Del Rio and Rey being paired in a match but it still managed to get the crowd thinking about the Rumble match. I'd like to see Raw's under card, specifically Morrison, Truth, Sheamus and others to come out and say this year the Rumble is going to be different. The youth movement is taking over and will headline Wrestlemania. I halfway got my wish while one announcement made me furious. I'm a bit under the weather so this blog won't be to long.

Finally, one of the biggest stars talked about the Rumble. I think Cena is the favorite to win it this year. We got a sneak peak at the feud that could brew if Cena and Miz both win in 2 weeks. Why the hell would you change from 30 to 40 wrestlers? That's the dumbest thing I've heard in about 3 weeks on WWE programming. No need to add more stars. There are certain things you don't change. The Royal Rumble match is one of them. I'm all for change and evolution but not when it comes to the 2nd biggest show of the year. Opening segment with Punk, Cena and Miz was highly entertaining. Even though it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Tag team titles got a do-over from last week. I will say I love when the announcer introduces the participants in the ring. The match feels somewhat special. However, the tag match wasn't special. It was too short and no build. The tag division is stale and WWE hasn't invested anything in it. The belts are more of a novelty.

Speaking of novelties, the United States champion was actually in a match this week. Oh my. I've said it before, Smackdown does a great job with their belts. Raw fails big time. Bryan hasn't had a long standing feud since winning the belt from Miz. The Morrison Bryan match was a great effort from both men. I just don't get what the plans are for Bryan. Morrison deserves the push, don't bury a champion at the same time. Sheamus and Bryan would be fun. I don't foresee that because HHH is returning at the Rumble. Why the hell can't you use the whole roster? Zach Ryder isn't doing a thing. Bryan can elevate him. I don't care that I sound like a broken record. I'm tired of seeing talent being underutilized.

Words may not do justice on how I felt for Orton and Ziggler's match. The same could be said on Ziggler and Vicki kissing. Dolph and Randy are two of my favorites. They can headline a main event against each other sometime this year. I was reminded, this past weekend, Ziggler was a cheerleader just a few years ago. I don't remember anyone retooling his lame character into a main eventer. I know guys have changed their character but not that dramatic. None of the Spirit Squad has done anything except Dolph. Another surprising RKO finish. They never showed the replay so it may have been sloppier than I originally thought. It was still a unique way to finish the contest. Miz attack was even sweeter. Great way to show Miz's strength. A heel getting the best of a face is a rarity. I enjoyed the whole segment.

Maryse got to wrestle in a match. Let me say that again, Maryse got to wrestle a match. May not have been that long, it was still a match. Natalya keeps rolling. Melina should get her title shot at the Rumble.

Wow, Ted Dibiase got two minutes to help put over someone else. You see this is why the Rumble didn't need to get bigger. Absolutely none of those guys in that segment will win the Rumble. The Rumble comes down to maybe 6 or 7 guys who can actually win. You add more useless talent to the Rumble. I realize I contradict myself by saying use the roster and then complain they are all going to be used during the Rumble match. Well, if WWE doesn't give two craps about showcasing guys like Ryder in a mini feud. Why the hell do I care if I see them in the Rumble match? I can't wait for Lawler and a bunch of retired guys to come out only to be thrown out in less than 2 minutes. Last year, nobody lasted that long in the Rumble match. This year, I feel the same is going to happen. The ring isn't going to fill up, you'll see 8 maybe 10 guys at the same time and that's it. Bad idea, WWE. Sheamus and Del Rio could have been the exception in the segment. They have a shot to win. Del Rio seems to show up at the best times. Alberto said one thing that I think can come true. He said he's going to be a champion at Wrestlemania. That could easily come true. Kofi and Del Rio could tangle for the IC title. Kofi is likely to be in the MITB match. I don't see a baby face he could drop the belt to on Smackdown. Unless you give the belt to Rey and we are all tired of Rey vs. Del Rio.

I usually hate when the main event isn't driven on the WWE title. I said in the 1st sentence, I was waiting for the Cena Punk match. They did an excellent job. This might have been Punk's biggest match. He's headlined pay per views before with Jeff Hardy. Cena is a little bit bigger than Jeff Hardy. Punk held his own. WWE got a new Batista. Are they brothers? The guy looked exactly like him. The finish was confusing as hell. Nexus adds a member and he's a giant.

Raw was up and down. The two big matches didn't disappoint, everything else did. At least they started building up the Rumble. Then again, 40 guys is retarded. No need to add to an already historic match. I'm sure we will get more info on the Nexus member by middle of the week. The Internet wrestling community will dig up the history on that kid. We, at BBSD, feel we are a big part of the IWC. Check out Showstoppers and if you want to be part of the next wrestling mailbag, e-mail me at jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com