Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Raw 1-24

Since the beginning of the year, Raw has gone downhill. We needed a spark for the Rumble and didn't get anything from Monday night. Raw and this coming Friday Night Smackdown are the last two shows before the second biggest pay per view of the year. The first one was a giant letdown and dare I say boring. The what should have been main event was fantastic. The rest of the show didn't do a damn thing. Raw did add a Diva title match but it was the wrong one. So what the hell happened? A whole lot of nothing.

I kind of forgot about Edge and the GM having their story. You had to know Edge was eliminating those three. I find it really funny fans screamed for Edge to break the computer. I've gotten use to the anonymous GM. I hate Cole and he is a giant tool. However, I can handle the laptop. It doesn't bother me like it use to. Nexus gained a new member last week. We now know he is Mason Ryan, the FCW world champion. Can't we change his name to Matista? They are brothers. I've heard Ryan is very young and green. He's got the physical attributes but I'll wait to crown him the next big thing until I see him wrestle. The Corre is a lame name. They stole it from TNA. I've heard rumors WWE booking a Nexus Corre match at Mania. I'm all for it. I'd love to see a 4 on 4 match. The Corre would have to add one more though since Barrett is taking on Taker, if he's healthy. The opener was too damn long and seemed to get us no where. The announcement of Cena as special ref made me about hurl. I saw enough of that crap last year.

Del Rio and Sheamus created a new odd couple. The WWE has done a nice job of elevating Morrison and Del Rio. I thought Sheamus's push died a little until the King of the Ring. The tournament win brought new life. He was floundering before that win. He's had a great run with Morrison. Come Sunday, Triple H returns to feud with the Irish Ghost. The bigger question is what will happen to Del Rio and Morrison? I'm not sure how fans will feel about Del Rio facing Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania. I think it would be to fast. Still, Smackdown doesn't have a lot of main event players. Del Rio and Ziggler are the two biggest heels and one is headlining the Rumble. Maybe the time is right to allow a young guy like Del Rio to face a veteran Edge. I'm fine with that. The match would be a great contrast in styles. The match wasn't all that terrible. Sheamus or Del Rio should have attacked the other to end the segment. Standing there celebrating was stupid. You are bad guys, attack each other. Prove who is dominant.

The Diva match would have been perfect for Sunday. This is what I meant in the Rumble blog. They add 10 more guys which eliminates time for other things that are more meaningful. They've spent time changing Melina's character and the building the story. Raw provided a crappy 4 minute match between Natalya and Melina. You buried Melina in 5 minutes and turn the momentum straight to LayCool. Look, I like LayCool. They are the best duo on TV. I don't like building up Melina, a quality in and out of the ring performer, and tear her down in one segment. Horrible! LayCool hasn't even been strong on Smackdown. They've lost consecutive weeks to Beth Phoenix. Worst segment of the night.

Edge and Miz, as predicted, had a great match. They gave the champs three segments and none of it disappointed. My only complaint is it didn't end Raw. The match deserved the final spot. Orton received a huge pop from the crowd. I don't think Ziggler should say anything about the backdoor with Vicki around. The ending set everything up nicely for a tag team match on Smackdown. Everyone got involved, just as they should. I understand the Rumble match takes precedents over the WWE/WHC titles. I also know that the winner of the Royal Rumble gets a shot at one of those belts. So which is more important? Hell, taking a look at history, the winner of the Rumble hasn't had good luck in capturing the title at the big event. I will continue to say nothing is more important than those two titles. I'm pumped for both main events scheduled for Sunday. I wonder how Miz will weasel his way to keeping his title and I believe Edge will successfully defend over Ziggler in a show stealing match. Ziggler has proved his worth. This year is really important especially for guys like Ziggler, Miz, Drew, Morrison and a few others. I'll admit I've lost a little interest in wrestling and those guys need to bring me back. I wonder sometimes if they can. After all, the wrestlers are only as good as the writers.

What was more impressive Maryse picking up a victory or Gail Kim getting camera time? Thinking...thinking...moving on.

Husky and McGillicuty received some nice exposure by taking on the tag champs. I guess creating a feud with these four makes to much sense. I'd prefer to see the same match only for the tag titles than having them in the Rumble match. Harris and McGillicuty were my picks as most talented in NXT Season 2. Okay, I didn't watch NXT. Who does? I will keep my eye on those two. Otunga, eh not so much.

Barrett's new music sucks. The Nexus theme worked better with Wade's character. The whole main event was complete crap. No wrestling, Cena acting like an idiot and none of it matter. None! Why, because the Raw GM announces Cena sucked as a ref and changed the entire decision. The only thing the finish accomplished was the same thing it always accomplishes the Monday night before the Rumble, total chaos. Way to book something new writers. I could tell they through the entire show together in a matter of hours. WCW use to do that same thing. Thankfully, Smackdown will save everything since it's been the better show for months. I see people are recognizing that as the ratings have slowly climbed.

I will have my Royal Rumble pick blog up sometime on Thursday. If you want in on the Rumble picks, e-mail me at jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com. You better check out ShowStoppers on BBSD for even more Rumble predictions. You can also follow me on blogger.com. The significance on blogger is the Raw blog is usually posted about an hour after Raw. Hot off the presses right after Raw is over with depending on where you live. I'm just trying to live up to the standards of being the best damn WWE blogger on the planet.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com