Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mega Mania Pick Blog

I am patting myself on the back for this Mania pick blog. You won't find something this innovative on any other website talking about Wrestlemania. The biggest event of the year has finally come. Call me a WWE Homer, I don't give a crap because this is my favorite time of the year as a wrestling fan. The card is stacked and I feel this card is could fall into the top 5 of all time Mania's. The WWE knows what they are doing on their grandest stage of them all. Before the picks, I need to unveil the coolest idea I have ever had.

I asked the host of ShowStoppers to help me out on this idea. The rules were simple. You build an ultimate mania card using any match that ever happen at Manias past. You could only use a wrestler once and had to have a WWE and World Heavyweight Championship match on your card. I know there will be a huge debate on all of our cards. I will get to mine last. John and Larry are up first with a brief description on why they chose their matches.

John's Card

WM XVII: Angle vs Beniot. One of the best "wrestling" matches ever from submissions to wrestling moves it had it all.

WM XX: Cena vs Show for US Title. Cena has been in bigger matches, but this pushed him into a new level.

WM XVII: TLC Hardys vs Dudleys vs E&C. Led to what we see now in MITB matches at Mania.

WM XXV: Taker vs HBK. Best match I have ever seen, period.

WM XXI: Batista vs HHH for WHC. Moved Batista to main event level.

WM XIII: Rock vs Sultan IC title. Put Rocky on the map and started him on the path to becoming The Rock.

WM XIII: Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. Bret beat Austin but Austin never quit. Put Austin on top of WWE.

WM III: Hogan vs Andre WWF Title. Still talked about to this day. Passing of the torch to Hogan.

Larry's Card:

WM III: Macho Man vs Ricky Steamboat IC title. One of the best IC matches ever.

WM XXV: Taker vs HBK. These guys did it right and put one if not the best match ever.

WM XVII: E&C vs Dudleys vs Hardys TLC Tag titles. Entertaining and Fun. These guys pulled off insane moves.

WM XIX: Hogan vs Vince Street Fight. Great match to hype up and fun to watch. Wanted Hogan on the card.

WM XXII: Mickie vs Trish Women's Title. 2 of the best females and a passing of the torch type match.

WM XXIV: Money in the Bank with Morrison, Benjamin, Punk, Kennedy, MVP, Carlito, Jericho.

WM XXV: Cena vs Show vs Edge WHC. Good Triple threat and best World title match on any card.

WM XVII: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock WWE title. Two of the biggest names ever going at it in a NO DQ match. What's not to love?

J Call's Card

WM X: Bret Hart vs Owen Hart

WM XXV: Money in the Bank Ladder Match with Punk vs Kofi vs MVP vs Benjamin vs Kane vs Henry vs Finlay vs Christian

WM XVII: HHH vs The Undertaker.

WM III: Macho Man vs Ricky Steamboat IC Title match.

WM XXII: Edge vs Foley in a street fight

WM XXII: Rey vs Angle vs Orton World Heavyweight Championship.

WM XIX: HBK vs Y2J Chris Jericho

WM XV: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock WWE Title

Ok, before you go crazy on me because I didn't have Taker vs Shawn or Hogan on my card let me explain a few things. First of all, I let John and Larry make their cards and I didn't want to copy them. I only used Macho Man versus Ricky because I love that match. John chose my favorite Bret Hart match with Stone Cold. The match with his brother, Owen was fantastic and an instant classic. We all chose matches from the best mania ever, Wrestlemania 17. I chose not to put Taker HBK match from last year because the other two had it already. Plus, they are the two who have had some of their best matches at Wrestlemania. Instead of pairing them, I wanted to use them with another opponent. The Shawn and Jericho match from 19 is one of my favorite matches because Jericho loves Shawn and it was the first time he matched up with his idol. I picked Taker and HHH, even though he wasn't the real Undertaker, because they beat the crap out of each other throughout the arena, something we won't see anymore. Rey winning the World title was a beautiful story and I couldn't keep Angle or Orton off my card. The final match with Austin and Rock was one of the most important matches in WWE history. They were the two biggest names and it showed how far both men had come and were going. Ok, now that was a lot of fun. I need to get to the picks.

CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio
Rey's record at Mania isn't so good. Punk is a two time MITB winner. I think the feud will continue with another match at the next pay per view. I like Punk to win with a little help from the society.

Orton vs Rhodes vs Dibiase
Unbelievable potential with this match. I think this is where we see Legacy end it all and get drafted to different shows when the draft rolls around. I love Dibiase and Orton, not sold on Rhodes yet. I want to see a double ddt off the ropes sometime in this match from Orton. I have loved the story and think this match could be a show stealer. I am going with the Legend Killer to get revenge on his two former proteges.

HHH vs Sheamus
I want a physical match that pushes the limit of the PG bull crap we see every week. I wonder if HHH is the ultimate team player and will put over Sheamus. The match will make Sheamus a bigger star no matter the out come but he needs to win to show the fans he isn't a one hit wonder champion. HHH is the game and can make anyone good (see John's card) and I can see him letting Sheamus go over. I am going with the Irish Ghost Sheamus.

Tag Titles
Show Miz vs Truth and Morrison
The match has some potential to be a good match. The WWE has tried to make Morrison and Truth real contenders in the past few weeks. I said it on the Raw blog, I can see Morrison turning on Truth after they lose. I am not going to second guess myself. Show Miz keeps the belts and Morrison turns heel.

Money in the Bank Ladder Match 10 wrestlers
I'm not going to write all of their names because only three guys make sense. Drew is Vince's boy so he could end up winning. Kofi needs it more than any of the wrestlers because the WWE completely screwed up his push from late in '09 and early 2010. The guy I want to win and believe deserves it the most is Christian. He was stuck on the "C" show all of last year. He put on great matches with Dreamer, Regal and Ezkeil Jackson. The year of Captain Charisma starts by winning Money in the Bank.

Bret vs Vince NO DQ
I think we all believe someone is going to get involved. I know some people don't care about this match and think it's a waste. I love it and think the story has come full circle. Vince may have something up his sleeve but Bret would not have signed a deal with the WWE and lose in his only match. Bret slaps on the Sharpshooter and Vince will tap out. A perfect end to Bret's career.

WWE Title
Batista vs Cena
You are probably wondering why did I put this match here and not at the end. I believe this will not close Wrestlemania. I know Cena hasn't defeated Batista and it would make sense for this match to end the show with Cena holding the WWE title. Yes it makes to much sense. WWE is all about changing things up and this is the time to do it. I hate both men and I don't care who wins this match as long as it's the only match I see with Batista and Cena. I won't get that wish because Batista will walk out with the WWE title.

The Streak vs Career
The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
I had officially thought the streak would finally end this year. A few weeks ago, I thought no way does Shawn lose two years in a row to The Undertaker. I read reports, Shawn will officially retire and walk away for a while and have a reality show. No, not like Hogan, an up lifting reality show. I have always said the Streak will never die. The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels will have another classic match. The end will be the same as last year. The Undertaker will win and the streak will continue.

World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Jericho vs Edge
I think this match will close the show. How many times has the Royal Rumble winner lost at Mania in a title match? Three times, Shawn Michaels lost to Diesel at Mania 11, The Rock lost at Mania 2000 and Cena at Mania 24. What I'm saying is, it doesn't happen often. Edge returned from a major injury to win the Rumble. I can't see him losing to Jericho in this match. Wrestlemania will close with a Spear to Jericho and Edge winning the World Heavyweight title.

Enjoy the best event of the year and I will have a short recap and a brand new Raw blog on Tuesday morning.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com