Sunday, April 24, 2011

Raw Draft Preview

It's time to shake things up a bit. At least according to Vincent Kennedy McMahon. WWE announced a few weeks ago abruptly the draft will return and it will this Monday Night on Raw. The draft has always benefited Smackdown with adding wrestlers but Raw usually gets one big name. The mid carders are always the ones who benefit the most. A guy that is rarely used on Raw, heads to Smackdown and becomes something. For example, Cody Rhodes looked to be an outcast after Wrestlemania 26. He was shipped to Smackdown, became "Dashing", lost the moniker and is having a great story with Rey. I didn't think Dibiase would have been the man to get buried once Legacy broke up. I see a lot of moves going to be made on Monday. I hope some of these moves help the undercard get recognized for their work. Smackdown should get one big name to replace Edge and hopefully a few more wrestlers. Here's a list and explanation of who I would like to see move to both shows.



Smackdown


Ted Dibiase Jr.- He has to head to Smackdown. Teddy has plenty of potential and is a solid in ring worker. His mic skills are not great but on Smackdown it wouldn't show as much. In fact, he could be given a mic once in a while just to help his character. He's stale on Raw. Smackdown came up with "Dashing" for Cody Rhodes so I would think they could help Teddy. I would even turn him into a good guy.


Zach Ryder- Long Island Ice Z has enough charisma that his character should be making it on Raw. If you haven't seen them, Ryder has some solid Youtube hits that are actually funny and unique. He's still very young so he has time to grow. Zach could use a change of scenery and not be used all the time on "Superstars". This kid could go far and I can see an IC title shot if he moves to Smackdown.


Daniel Bryan- Why would I want him to move to Smackdown? He's a wrestler. Smackdown is more of a wrestling show. It's a perfect match. I know Bryan should have gotten the chance to shine at Wrestlemania with Sheamus. It's unfortunate. Bryan could easily be in the semi main event at the end of the first hour of Smackdown providing a 10-15 minute match. Bryan probably won't get to main event or get a chance at the World Heavyweight Championship. Smackdown will give Bryan a place to do what he does best and that's wrestle.


Sheamus- Fun, how I mention Bryan and then have his opponent coming with him to Friday Night. My reasoning is simple, Smackdown only has 1 main heel character going after the WHC, Albert Del Rio. I don't mind Sheamus wearing the U.S. title on Raw since that made him relevant since the WWE title picture is full. On Smackdown, the Irish Ghost can come over and jump right into the main event scene.

Randy Orton- The whole left by Edge is to big for just Christian to fill. I believe Christian should get the opportunity to wear the World Title sometime this year. By adding Sheamus and Orton, you can have 4 top guys going after the title and mix up the story lines. Orton has been in the best feud on Raw with CM Punk. Randy deserves to be in the title picture and he won't get that chance on Raw. He will on Smackdown and the Viper can easily change from face to heel and heel to face.

Raw

Drew McIntyre- There is no guarantee a change of shows will do someone good. We are all hoping it will for "our" guy/s. Well Drew is one of my guys. I like this kid a lot. He has a good look, great finisher and his entrance music is very recognizable. He was named 'The Chosen One' by Vinnie Mac and hasn't done anything with it. A move to Monday Night where he can be used in the mid-carder title picture would be perfect. I would love to see him and Sin Cara compete in a few matches.


Wade Barrett- It only makes sense if Sheamus goes to Smackdown, the IC title comes to Raw. I realize it's only been a few months since Barrett had a 100 chairs fall on him by Cena and he was forced to leave Raw. The Corre is lame and needs to break up. Barrett made his name on Raw and he should try and extract some revenge on Punk and the Nexus. I'm not saying Barrett should turn face. All I am saying is Wade should beat down the Nexus and Punk. I don't see fans cheering Barrett as his character is brutal and malicious. Wade and Morrison sounds like a good story.


Jack Swagger- The All American American American needs a face turn at Extreme Rules. If he does that and moves to Raw, BAM, fresh start. With Barrett and McIntyre coming over, Raw needs at least one face and Swagger can fit the bill. Raw has always had more characters and less focus on wrestling, Swagger needs more time to talk and can do that on Raw. He's a good wrestler so that's not his problem. Raw can help him with his character issue.


I'm sure the WWE will throw in a few more curveballs during the Draft episode. I didn't mention the Divas either. I doubt Kong will show up this week but it would be nice to know what show she is going to be on. If Del Rio or Miz move, that will be shocking. Raw should be interesting but it might feel thrown together. The writers have had a few weeks to prepare. I hope it's a good show and some of the moves benefit those being buried. Let's see how much the WWE decides to shake things up. Be sure to come back Monday night after Raw for the Raw blog. You can also hit me up on twitter @mccall316 during Raw as I am always on there as well. If you want more wrestling, head to BBSD.


J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com