Monday, December 14, 2009

Raw 12-14

TLC was a fantastic pay per view. I am really surprised the WWE gave the title to Sheamus and I'm really interested on how the WWE will follow up. DX is now the Tag champs and probably time for JeriShow to break up. Three hours means we should see a lot of wrestling but this is the WWE so I'll be lucky to have three solid matches. The WWE is certainly building up young talent and tonight will be no different.

First before I get into Raw, I have another gripe about this past ShowStoppers. I know seems like every week I have something to complain about. I came up with the idea of ShowStoppers doing a Best of the Decade Show, which is next week, and thought it was a great idea. We came up with several different categories and for the most part I was happy with the nominees. The issue I have is with the best match category. I will never forgive or forget what happened with Chris Beniot and his actions. Larry has stayed away from anything Beniot was ever in. Can you separate Chris Beniot the wrestler and Chris Beniot the tragic ending? I am not condoning what happened and never will. However, I will also never forget Chris Beniot's wrestling ability and his hardwork. I can separate between the two. Chris Beniot the wrestler should never be forgotten. In fact, young wrestlers should go back and watch his matches and try to become a guy that intense and technically sound. Had it not been for Taker HBK at Mania 25, my favorite match of the 2000s would have been Beniot HHH HBK at Mania 20. The match was unbelievable, great story and history making since it was the first ever Triple Threat Main Event. I realize I will catch hell for being up his name. I know some fans don't want to discuss Beniot because of the terrible ending. I just believe Beniot should not be forgotten as one of the greatest in ring performers.

Dennis Miller hosts Raw tonight which means we get a bunch of jokes that nobody will get. As I said with Dennis Miller right away with jokes about the President. Thankfully the WWE is not killing off JeriShow yet. They deserved the Tag Team of the Year Slammy. I get my wish for a rematch with JeriShow and DX tonight. I like that idea. Jericho can't go back to just being a Smackdown star. He is way to good to be on just one show. However, he did make a crack about Edge (You know Edge. The man who is going to comeback at Wrestlemania and beat Jericho). I think this is the first step in setting it up.

The Regal Roundtable gets a chance to be showcased on a larger stage than ECW. I like the three hour Raws because we get to see more wrestlers to get worked in. I found it odd that Kane and Kahli tagged with Christian. By the way, if you get a chance make sure you see the Shelton Benjamin Christian Ladder Match from TLC. They both talked before the ppv about stealing the show and they did just that. An unbelievable contest and if the WWE is smart. They will capitalize on Benjamin and give him a shot at being the ECW champion and move Christian. The match was nothing great but who cares. I got points from Christian in the FWF.

Breakout star of the Year should have been Kofi Kingston. I realize what the WWE is trying to do with Sheamus. On the other hand, Kofi has been hot since Wrestlemania. He put on a great show at the Money in the Bank Ladder match. He had a nice Intercontinental title run in the summer months. Now he has had a great feud with Orton. Sheamus has been on the Raw scene for only a few months. Yes, he is the new WWE champ and has been a monster. I just don't like taking anything away from Kofi.

Speaking of Kofi, he faced Cody Rhodes. Where the hell have you been Cody? The WWE has been pushing young talent and have forgotten all about Legacy. Rhodes and Dibiase have a shot at being big stars. However you can't expect big things if you keep them off the flagship show some weeks. I love the tag match made with Legacy vs Kofi and Bourne. All four of these guys bring something to the table. I talk about how much Bourne is misused but really 3 out of 4 guys in this match are misused. I am happy the WWE gave Legacy the win and not have them pin Kofi. I just wish Bourne would get a chance to show off the Shooting Star Press once in a while. The SSP is one of the most amazing moves ever and the fans miss it all the time.

I am glad Vicki is back on TV. She gets some of the hottest heat I have ever heard. The Slammy for Shocker of the Year should have gone to Randy Orton. The HHH Orton feud earlier in the year was one of the best feuds of the year. The WWE added the McMahons and I never thought Orton would DDT Stephanie. I did love that moment. I did believe the storyline with Jeff Hardy and Punk was the best of the year. Punk played the perfect heel and even did a great impersonation of Jeff after he left. Punk has been playing the great heel ever since he turned back in May. ShowStoppers host don't care for Punk and I have no idea why. Punk is a great in ring performer and has solid mic skills. He displayed the latter tonight on Raw.

We get to see Punk vs Cena for only the second time ever. I loved the counter GTS to the STF. What the hell is WWE doing? The match was only three minutes long. I am legitimately pissed off by what the WWE did to Punk tonight. That was a freaking joke. I will try and keep this PG rated. CM Punk is a great superstar and I understand you want to make Cena look angry and focused on getting his belt back. You dont do that with a guy like Punk. Punk is a main eventer and ever since he complained about the dress code the WWE has buried him. Ok, he shouldn't have said anything. I get it WWE. Now fix this crap and give Punk back some of the momentum he had when he was World Champion. Cena had his usual passionate 'I'm going to get my belt back' speech. Cena mentioned Wrestlemania and said he won't lose another match until he gains the belt back. Well I like that since I have him in the FWF. The big thing tonight is if Taker beats Orton we get Cena Taker a little early. I would like to see Cena Taker just not at Wrestlemania. I know it will happen and if Cena keeps this winning streak the WWE will certainly make Cena look like a guy who can beat Taker. Somehow I think Orton will win tonight. The WWE will not want to spoil a potential Mania main event.

Does anyone else miss JR's voice? I heard him when the WWE showed the highlights of the HBK Taker match. Jim Ross knows how to put moments in perspective. Was there any doubt HBK Taker wasn't going to win? Not only was Taker HBK match the best of the year, it might be the greatest match in Mania and wrestling history. I love the twist the WWE did with HBK tonight. His promo challenging Taker at Wrestlemania again was awesome. I love it and I would love to see it again. I text Larry at this moment and he said it would never happen again. I would have to reluctantly agree. HBK Taker will not happen again at Mania. I would watch that again over Cena Taker.

If the WWE had the best entrance of the year category, would Taker win it every year? I would have to say yes. A previous Wrestlemania match tonight on Raw with Orton and Taker. Some may say that was Orton's best wrestling match in his career. Of course Taker lost so no Cena Taker tonight. The WWE had Punk Cena last about three minutes. The Taker Orton match lasted 5 mins. I did like the RKO on the floor. Legacy all over this Raw tonight. I guess you have to make up for lost time. I don't like the fact that the wrestling has been short. That's Raw.

I missed Vince McMahon. I agree with Vince. The crowd sucks tonight. The Guest host of the Year goes to the guy who should have won it. I enjoyed Bob Barker when he was the GM. Dennis Miller and Vince must know my greatest wish of all time. You don't tease this WWE blogger about having Bret Hart as a guest GM. If you do, IT BETTER HAPPEN DAMN IT! Imagine, Bret comes back to guest host Raw on January 4th when Raw goes head to head with TNA. Oh my god, my heart just stopped.

Will DX JeriShow rematch be given proper time to develop in the ring? The TLC match these two teams had last night was off the hook. This is the dumbest freaking thing I have ever heard of tonight. DX gets dq'd before it even starts so Jericho won't be sticking around Raw. Instead of having three awesome matches tonight. The fans get treated to three pieces of crap. Raw is no longer Jericho. I guess JeriShow is now broken up for good. I just don't get why the WWE couldn't have given us a great tag team contest. You have three hours, 3 and you can't supply us with even two good wrestling matches. You fit in a 1,000 backstage segments and Slammy awards. All I ask in return is give me 2 solid in ring contests.

As I said, another Slammy award presentation. The boom drop was one of the coolest spots of Raw this year. The award goes to Jeff Hardy rightfully so. I wish Hardy was still part of the WWE. I still think he will be back sometime in 2010. No idea why Carlito got the beat down. He should just leave WWE and sign with TNA. Then he won't be a jobber.

Hey Miz congrats on getting back on Raw tonight. This 6 man tag team match has some FWF implications. Miz, McIntyre, Morrison and Tatsu all are on an FWF team. I like this match up. Henry seems to be getting an opportunity to wrestle for the US title. I am happy that anyone is wrestling the Miz. Tatsu and Ryder get an opportunity albiet short lived. I would say Morrison and Drew are not finished on Smackdown either.

This has nothing to do with the WWE or wrestling. I just want to plug the USA network original series Burn Notice. If you haven't seen the show, I recommend going out and getting the dvds or go to hulu.com and find the episodes. The show is exciting, fun and smart. I enjoy it so much asked Santa Claus for the Seasons on dvd.

The annual lets throw every Diva in a match when all 3 shows get together. I didn't fully understand why they had to wear gowns. The match was short because why would we ever have any match longer than 7 mins? Goldust made a nice comment about PMS. I laughed. I should laugh more that Maria won Diva of the Year. What has she done? Oh this was a fans vote. She was in Playboy which has to be the real reason. Batista does his best impression of Kanye West. Hey Batista, all I can say is you suck! I don't mean that just because you are a heel and I am suppose to dislike you. I mean it because you really suck. You can't wrestle. You can't give a good promo. You can't get heat from the crowd even though you are suppose to be a heel. I would say that all adds up to being Mayor of Suckville and Michael Cole is your assistant.

Big Dick Johnson makes me laugh everytime he is on Raw. I know a big fat guy in a speedo is gross but I dont care. I always laugh. Larry has midget crotch chops and I laugh at Johnson. Cole acted as he just won the WWE title. Cole made fun of Jim Ross during his acceptance speech. Yeah Cole, we love Vintage and Oh My so much. You really know what to say when a big moment happens. Oh wait. WOOOO! Vintage J Call.

A DX snuggie. Are you serious? Could the WWE have a few shameless plugs? HHH beat the crap out of Shawn to end the segment. DX will break up sometime after the holidays. Then we will get to see a build up to Wrestlemania for a match between HHH and HBK. I can't wait for that match.

Main event time. The Superstar of the Year should be Randy Orton. Cena made a very bold statement that he won't lose another match. I figured Sheamus would come out and cost Cena the match. At least the main event was given time and was a quality wrestling match. The announcers are making it seem like Cena has no confidence any longer. I think we can all agree that Orton has become the new master of the DDT. Jake the Snake use to be but Orton has had some of the sickest looking DDTs I have ever seen. Cena recovers from the loss last night with two wins tonight. The WWE had to make sure Cena regained some momentum and he did that tonight.

Raw was not exactly what I had hoped it would be. Once I heard the main events, I thought Raw would have more in ring wrestling and less b.s. I got to much other stuff and not enough wrestling. I guess I need to just accept that Raw will never have enough in ring wrestling. I did like the finish to the show. Cena and Sheamus is going to continue and I have no problem with that decision. They did showcase some young guys from ECW and Smackdown as well. I would say it was an average show. Raw will be hosted by Johnny Damon next week. You either love the Yanks or hate them. I hate them so Damon does nothing for me. My advice, you may have read this before, stay the hell out of the way and let the wrestlers be in the spotlight. ShowStoppers will be all new this week and BBSD will have their own Best of the Year award show. You will get a nice surprise on the show as well. I will catch you next week with another Raw blog.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com