Wednesday, September 2, 2009

AFC Preview

Last week I wrote about the NFC and gave you a preview of exactly how I see the NFC going down this year. I got a few hate emails from the Dallas Cowboys fans. I will talk about that a little later. For now, I will preview the AFC. I start in the worst division in the AFC, the west.

AFC West is going to be horrible, flat out horrible. My favorite team, Oakland Raiders won't win more than 4 games. Denver threw away their future when they traded away Jay Cutler. KC Chiefs have no shot even with Cassell. San Diego is the only bright spot and they could make a deep run into the playoffs. Lets take a closer look:

Oakland Raiders
Here is where I will tell Dallas fans to shut up. I am a huge homer to my Raiders but I am also a realistic fan. I didn't pick Dallas to be in the playoffs because of Wade Phillips and Tony Romo. I am a realist and don't see them making the playoffs. Send more of your hate mail to mccall316@yahoo.com. Oakland is terrible from top to bottom. I love Lechler and Asomugha and that's about it. I hope McFadden can break out and have a big year. The question marks are all over the place and I see no answers in sight. Final Verdict: 4-12 and Cable is fired.

Denver Broncos
Kyle Orton replaces Jay Cutler at the most important position on the field. Josh McDaniels might be shipping another stud on offense, Brandon Marshall before the regular season starts. What the hell are you doing? Denver had potential if it would have sat tight and fixed the defense. Instead, they went into overhaul mode and blew up the entire thing. Big mistake! The schedule is not forgiving either. I can't see this team winning more 5 games. Final Verdict: 5-11

Kansas City Chiefs
Hey Matt Cassell, I have one question for you. Would you like to go back to New England? I bet you would. Kansas City has no offensive line, no running game, and one established wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe. They traded away their best weapon in Tony Gonzalez. Again, this team will be looking at a top 10 draft pick. Final Verdict: 4-12

San Diego Chargers
If the Chargers weren't coached by one of the worst clutch coaches in the NFL, I would think about taking this team to the Super Bowl. The Chargers have a great offense with Rivers, Gates, LDT, and Sproles. The defense is solid to the core. The Chargers will win this division by week 11 and unless they are in the hunt for the top spot in the playoffs, San Diego can rest their starters. Final Verdict: 11-5 and West division winner.

The AFC North may not be the best top to bottom division but it could feature some of the best games. Baltimore and Pittsburgh will have 2 of the best games against each other. Cincinnati and Cleveland won't be great teams but could be at least competitive in games. But no one should stop the defending champs.

Cleveland Browns
If Cleveland was smart they would just had the starting qb job to Brady Quinn. I think Quinn has a bright future and will be the best option to win games. Cleveland has some talent on both sides of the ball. I like Braylon Edwards, Joe Thomas, and Shaun Rodgers. I look at their running backs and see absolutely no talent. Cleveland is rebuilding and should show some signs of promise after this year. Cleveland will struggle in a strong division. Although, Cleveland does play the AFC West teams so they may get a few more victories than last year. Final Verdict: 5-11

Cincinnati Bengals
The Bengals have some of the worst luck in the NFL. Andre Smith signed on Sunday and was hurt by Tuesday. Are you kidding me? I like Carson Palmer, OchoCinco, and Rey Maualuga. If Palmer and Chad can stay healthy this team could be respectable. Marvin Lewis has to step up the defense or he will be searching for a new job. Like Cleveland, I see no talent in the running game for the Bengals. I say Palmer stays on his feet and helps his team get back on the right track. Final Verdict: 6-10

Baltimore Ravens
I watched some of Flacco in the preseason and I love his poise and arm strength. My buddy, Chris, will tell me Flacco doesn't have to do much for the Ravens to win, and I will agree. Joe has a stellar running game and a great defense. If Flacco can be mistake free, his team will win a lot of ball games. Baltimore has a fairly easy schedule and should roll into the playoffs. They may not win the division in my eyes, but they have a shot to make a run in the post season. Final Verdict: 11-5 and a wild card spot.

Pittsburgh Steelers
The defending world champion Pittsburgh Steelers! I know how much a lot of people hate hearing that lol. Big Ben is going to lead his team again deep into the playoffs. Does he get hurt? Yes but its never serious. I love the make up of this team. Great ground game, solid passing game, and a fantastic defense. Why wouldn't you pick this team to win the division? I have no clue. I have no doubt this team will make the postseason. Final Verdict: 12-4 division winner.

The AFC South is going to surprise a few people. I like the Texans if Schaub can stay healthy. Jacksonville should be much better than last year. Indianapolis is always a playoff contender. Tennessee is the team I think will fall apart. Why?

Tennessee Titans
I have a feeling Kerry Collins will not be able to carry this team again. They have a great running game, even if I hate LenDale White. The Titans signed Nate Washington to help out the air attack. The loss of Haynesworth will be the biggest hole to fill. The defense will be good but not as good. If Collins fails, the Titans have to rely on VY and I don't see how he can get it done. A brutal schedule does not help matters. Final Verdict: 6-10.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Maurice Jones Drew is going to be the heart and soul of this team. Jax adds Torry Holt but this isn't 2000, it is 2009. Last year, the Jags relied on a very young defense team and hopefully they will live up to their potential. David Garrard is a decent option as a starter but needs to stop turning the ball over. Eugene Monroe should help the offensive line. Jacksonville has a ton of young raw talent. It is to early for me to see them make the playoffs. Final Verdict: 7-9

Houston Texans
I can not stress how much I love Andre Johnson. If I had to choose one wide receiver it may be this man and not Fitz. The offensive line must help Schaub out and keep him standing up. The very expensive defensive line of Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye must produce. Mario is already on his way and so is DeMeco Ryans. If there was one team that could make the leap this year, its the Houston Texans. Final Verdict: 9-7 Wild Card.

Indianapolis Colts
One of the most consistent teams in the last decade should win the South. Peyton Manning still has a few good years in him. Reggie Wayne is going to be the number 1 guy this year. The ground game is a question mark, but it will still deliver enough. The defensive line is the other question mark and I think it will improve. New coach, new assistants, same result. Final Verdict 10-6 Divison winner.

The final division in the AFC is the East. Can the Dolphins repeat their incredible performance last year? Will T.O. help the Bills get over the hump and win some damn games? Is Mark Sanchez the hero New York wants him to be? Well I can answer those questions with one question of my own. Does it matter?

New York Jets
Slow down on saying Sanchez is the savior. I bet he learned a lot playing against the Ravens in the preseason. His first pass was a pick 6. The Jets have a great running game with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. I really like the draft pick of Shonn Greene as an insurance in case Jones goes down. The wide receiving core leaves little to the imagination but you don't need superstars. Vernon Gholston has to start living up to his potential. The Jets have a bright future if Sanchez improves throughout the year. It just won't be this year. Final Verdict: 5-11

Buffalo Bills
I loved the Cowboys releasing Terrell Owens about has much as I loved Buffalo signing him. Lee Evans and T.O. together will be a nightmare for secondaries through out the league. The offense should score quite a few points once Lynch comes back from his suspension. If Edwards struggles with this offense, you know he is a bust. The defense must improve from last year and adding Maybin from Penn State should help. I like the make up of this team but in this division, they are going to be average. Final Verdict: 7-9.

Miami Dolphins
I would have voted for Chad Pennington for the MVP award last year. You read that correctly and I am not insane. He was the main reason this team won the division and made the playoffs. They used the wildcat last year and you can figure they will use it more with Pat White. The Dolphins suprised many people last year but won't sneak up on anyone this year. I love Jake Long, Ronnie Brown, and rookie Vontae Davis. The defense has to be better in the secondary but as I said will it matter in this division? Final Verdict: 8-8

New England Patriots
Why do I ask will it matter? Because the Patriots are going to run away with this division. I may not like New England but I am smart. They are a team on a mission. Tom Brady will want to prove he is back and as dominate as he was 2 years ago. He still has Moss and Welker to throw to. Oh and he has a brilliant coach. I get tired of hearing about them as much as I do about the Cowboys. The difference is the Patriots know how to back it up. They will again this year. Final Verdict: 13-3 division winner and top spot in the AFC playoffs.

To recap the AFC

Division winners: New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, and San Diego Chargers

Wild Cards: Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans.

Next Wednesday I will have my playoff predictions and awards. If you have a problem with my predictions, I want to hear them. Send your hate mail to mccall316@yahoo.com.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com