Monday, July 20, 2009

Raw 7-20-09

The WWE needed a great show heading into another pay per view this Sunday. They seem to be wanting to grab headlines from the media than showcase a great wrestling show. ZZ Top joins the Raw celebrity list of gms tonight. In the end, the show must provide whether or not you will fork over the money for Night of Champions. Did Raw succeed?

First off, I want thank the crew at BBSD for the birthday wish on the site. You didn't have to do that, but I thank you for it. Ok, lets get to why you are here, reading this blog, the wrestling.

Raw starts off with the WWE's hottest star John Cena. The main event is announced. Triple H and Cena vs Rhodes and Dibiase. What a huge tag match! To bad we saw practically the same damn match last week. I will have more on that later. Cena informs us that the main event at Night Of Champions, Orton vs Cena vs HHH, was the main event at Wrestlemania 24. Orton comes out. I will guess he will say, at wrestlemania 24, he walked in and walked out as WWE champion. Instead, Orton talks about how history will repeat itself. I sure hope he's right. Cena says something about how the fans want him to beat Ortons face in. Hey Cena! You should use Rock's line of I can't hear you whine and moan cuz there are 10,000 people chanting Cena Cena Cena. Just a thought. Legacy surrounds the ring and traps Cena. HHH comes out to make the save. Or will he? Will Triple H ever turn heel or bad again? I actually like him better as a heel. Trips grabs the mic and says he doesn't care if he or Cena wins the belt this Sunday. He cares about getting the belt off Orton. Triple H and Cena banter back and forth about Seth Green and how small he is. Orton wants to add himself to the main event tonight, making it 3 on 2. Wait, now its exactly what we saw last week. Cena and Triple H talk about how they can't tag up. You just did last week guys!! Damn does everyone in the WWE have the worst short term memory?

ZZ Top is backstage with Santino. Santino talks about how he is a big fan even though he screws up their names. They give Santino a beard, hat, and a guitar. They start singing Cheap Sunglasses. If this is the start of a bunch of backstage promos, we are in for a long, I mean, LONG night.

United States Champion Kofi Kingston comes out to kick off a 6 man tag match. Add another title match at Night Of Champions. A 6 pack title match. Kofi vs Show vs Carlito vs MVP vs Swagger vs The Miz. I like the match, but where is Evan Bourne? Why does Carlito who hasnt done shit in the last few weeks get a US title match and Evan doesn't? Ok, Kofi and Swagger start of the contest. MVP hits his ballin elbow and Raw heads to commercial. What a shock! Raw comes back with the heels in charge. Big Show starts laying in to Kofi. I love Big Shows chops. The heels keep the US champ in their corner and dominate the contest. Hot tag to Primo and he takes control of the match. The crowd gets really behind Primo. I like to hear that. Carlito goes for a backstabber on Primo, but moves and Show spears Carlito. Kofi gets Show out of the ring. Primo nails his brother with a flying headbut and wins the match. The Big Show gets back in the ring and spears Primo. He chokeslams everyone else. Back to the formula right before a pay per view with Big Show. He whoops everyones ass and looks great before the pay per view, which means he will lose this Sunday.

Another promo with ZZ Top. This time Jericho shows up and talks about how he is a big fan and how ZZ Top is a big fan of Fozzy. They pretend not to know who Jericho's band is. They make a match with Jericho and Mark Henry. At least I get to see Jericho wrestle tonight.

Brian Kendrick is out talking about how he should be Y2J partner at Night of Champions. I have a hard time to argue with him. He should be teamed up with Jericho. He is a great tag team partner. Kendrick is a solid wrestler and is not being used enough. Instead, he gets to wrestle Lawler. Yes, you read that correctly. Jerry leaves the table and announces himself as Kendricks opponent. I know when I was thinking about Raw, I said to myself, "I hope Lawler wrestles tonight." Its like the WWE can read my mind. Even better, Lawler beats Kendrick. Can I say it already? The WWE wishes Kendrick well in future endeavors.

They do a interview with Mickie right by the entrance stage. It reminds me of the old school interview stage in the 80s, very vintage. Miz comes out to run his chops. Miz runs down Mickie's looks. Mickie makes fun of Miz and how he can't score. Oh ouch, but hey the truth hurts. Maryse shows up looking hot as always. She sprays something into Mickie's eyes. I actually loved that segement. The whole 80s feel to an interview was so cool. I hope they do that every week.

Out comes Y2J, the best wrestler in the WWE right now, Chris Jericho. Mark Henry gets a nice pop from the crowd. Which makes me question the intellegent level of the WWE fans. Jericho playing a great heel by running away from the big man. Like most matches with a big man, Jericho focuses in on the legs. Henry does the big swing which was a neat spot. Jericho hits a huge running bulldog. He goes for the Walls of Jericho. Henry counters and sends Chris flying out of the ring. Jericho grabs a chair and nails Henry with it. Jericho gets dq'd. They battle out of the ring and back in. Jericho goes for the Codebreaker but gets caught. Henry lands the strongest slam.

Yet another backstage promo with ZZ Top and Santino. They make a match with Chavo vs Hornswaggle, ugh, in a sharp dressed man match. Is the WWE trying to hurt me tonight? We come back and Lillian stumbles with the stipulations of the tux match. It was kinda funny. It will be the only thing I can remember of the match. Hornswaggle wins again.

Cena and HHH are backstage talking about their match with Legacy, again. They run through how its gonna be us against them tonight, but Sunday will be a different story.

Kelly Kelly shows up backstage with ZZ Top. They start to play Legs. Why couldn't Stacy Keibler show up for one night. She had the best legs ever! A couple of women show off their stuff then Santino strips down to show off what he has. He dances around for a while as ZZ Top leaves. At least Santino was very funny in the promos. King and Cole are in the ring running down the NOC card. Don't forget I will have a ppv prediction blog up on Friday morning. Wooo! You know I always do well. Legacy meets up with Jericho in the back. They belittle Jericho until Jericho steps up his game. Jericho leaves by saying you never know Orton could be his partner. The WWE almost made Jericho look like a face, just a little.

Shaq will be a the gm next week. I know Larry loves Shaq. I on the other hand can't stand him. I have never liked Shaq. I will try my best next week.

What I do like is WWE diva action. Alicia Fox and Rosa vs Kelly Kelly and Gail Kim. They call it a ZZ Top legs match. Gail Kim should be the next Diva that goes after the Diva's title. She is excellent in the ring. But WWE should not forget Beth Phoenix either. The match was pretty good. Kelly Kelly impresses but ends up losing.

Main event starts up with ZZ Top driving out to the ring. I wouldn't mind seeing their concert show with Aerosmith. Legacy out 1st. The Game out followed by Cena. Cena and Rhodes start it off. As with almost every match the faces go into the break with the momentum. Cena in trouble when Raw returns. Hot tag to HHH but Legacy gains the advantage. Orton goes for an RKO but HHH hits a spinebuster. Huge crowd pop for the tag to Cena. Cena gets on fire. Nailing everyone and hits his you can't see me fist drop. Randy comes in for a punt to Cena. Cena moves and rolls up Orton for the win. Will this be a prelude to Night of Champions?

I tried to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt last week. But when you put the same show on two weeks in a row it is hard to fathom what they are doing. The tag match had moments but in all reality it was the same main event as last week without Seth Green. It is time for a change when it comes to main event players on Raw. I got to thinking about what the WWE could do. Well for starters, turn HHH heel this Sunday. It will help with new feuds if you add a man like Triple H as a bad guy. I think it is time to really push The Big Show. You make him look strong on Sunday by having every man of the 6 pack US title match hit their finisher just to take him out of the equation. The following night he can talk about how it took 5 men to take him out. I say you turn The Big Show face by saying he wants a piece of Randy Orton after what he went through the night before. Cena vs HHH at Summerslam is a great match. The problem is the WWE will not want to have Show vs Orton headlining the 2nd biggest ppv of the year. So what can the WWE do? The only other logical choice is to bring back The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels. He will add a boost to the show as well as another man into the WWE title mix. HBK vs Orton for the WWE title, plus HHH vs Cena. Now Raw would look pretty good heading into Summerslam. But what do I know? I'm just a huge wrestling fan. I guess that makes me qualified to be the Raw GM for one night.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com