Friday, July 24, 2009

Night of Champions Preview

The WWE brands can not be any different heading into the pay per view this Sunday. On Raw, they are all about the same storyline for the past two years. Randy Orton vs either HHH, Cena, or Batista. The only good thing on Raw right now is they are showcasing the mid level talent with Kofi, MVP, and others Smackdown brings in new fresh faces with CM Punk, Jeff Hardy and Dolph Ziggler as a mid carder. Night of Champions is unique in the fact that every match is for a belt. This pay per view could change the direction of all three brands. I cleaned of the dust of my crystal ball and I am ready to predict exactly what the WWE will or should I say should do.

Diva Championship Match
Maryse (c) vs Mickie James
Maryse goes into the pay per view with the belt and having never faced Mickie one on one. As I said on my Raw blog, I loved the use of the interview stage Monday night. Maryse has the momentum after the altercation. Mickie has the fans back and a lot of in ring ability. We should see the best women's match of the year this Sunday. In the end, Maryse will get a cheap victory.

Tag Team Championship Match
Chris Jericho and ? (c) vs Legacy
Jericho has been getting beat up by Mark Henry the last few weeks. He has also been very quiet on who his partner will be. If you listened to Showstoppers, I don't know why you wouldn't, John and Larry gave their own predictions on who the partner will be. John said it would be Henry and Larry said Ziggler. I don't see either one of them being Y2J's partner. How did Priceless come together? Dibiase was to have a mystery partner vs Holly and Rhodes. Rhodes turned heel on Holly and Priceless was born. At Night of Champions, the role gets reversed. Dibiase is Jericho's partner and Legacy breaks up leading to a giant curve ball on Raw.

ECW Championship Match
Dreamer (c) vs Christian
Dreamer has had a nice run. I am glad to see the WWE hang in there and keep the belt on him. These two should put on a great match until Kozlov comes out and gets involved. Dreamer keeps it and Kozlov gets it at Summerslam.

United States Championship Match
Kofi (c) vs Big Show vs MVP vs Miz vs Carlito vs Swagger
I am very interested in how this match plays out. Kofi deserves to keep the belt to establish himself as a major player on Raw. Swagger has enough talent, he doesn't need it. Carlito, please. MVP has held this belt longer than anyone and does not need another run. Miz has had opportunities on t.v to get his character over. The US title could do just that for him. The Big Show shouldn't even been in this match because he should be in the WWE title picture. It comes down to Kofi and Miz. I am going with Kofi.

Intercontinental Championship Match
Rey Mysterio (c) vs Dolph Ziggler
Rey has held this belt for quite a while. Since Wrestlemania, Rey has either had or been in the IC hunt. Dolph is a great up and comer. I had a conversation with John and I called Dolph the closest thing to Mr. Perfect we are going to see in a long time. I truly believe that. Dolph needs to prove his worth. If he can have a great ppv match, he will do that. He will but Rey will win.

World Heavyweight Championship Match
CM Punk (c) vs Jeff Hardy
Punk has been a decent champ. The problem is he has not had a great ppv match as champion. The dq at the Bash didn't help his cause. I think this match needs to be a long, drawn out, hard earned victory. Jeff's contract situation has not been cleared up. He could have signed a long term deal or leave after Summerslam. Since I don't have a clue, I am going with Punk to remain champion.

WWE Championship Match
Randy Orton (c) vs HHH vs Cena
The main event at Wrestlemania 24 is now the main event this Sunday at Night of Champions. Randy has been a great champion, but his feuds have been the same for 2 years. We desperately need a new feud for him. HHH should turn heel and face Cena at Summerslam. Cena is so over with the crowd, he doesn't need a belt. Randy walked into Mania 24 as champ and walked out as champ. I believe history will repeat itself this Sunday. "The Legend Killer" keeps his belt. I just hope we are done seeing these 3 face off for the WWE title. Like or not, this is what the WWE should do at Night of Champions.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com