Monday, July 27, 2009

Night of Champions and Raw Fallout

Another pay per view has come and gone. The WWE put on a good show Sunday night at Night of Champions. We have a new World Heavyweight Champion. I actually got a few of my picks correct. I hope the WWE can follow it up with a solid Raw show. Shaq is the gm for the night tonight. I mentioned last week, I do not care for Shaq. I hope the focus is on more of the wrestlers than the gm. I am sure excited for another Raw, lets just pray it doesn't suck.

Before I get into Raw, I want to say a few things about Night of Champions. First off, I can not believe they took the belt off of Punk. It is like saying, "Punk you can't get over as a champ, so we are taking the belt off of you." On the other hand, I do love Jeff Hardy. One of two reasons for the title change. One, Jeff signed a brand new contract and was rewarded for it. Or, two he hasn't signed a contract and the WWE is giving him the belt so he will. Either way, can Jeff keep the belt more than a month? Only time will tell. Thank you WWE, for pushing Show with a tag team belt. Teaming him with Jericho was a great idea. The first time ever the tag belts have been on two men from different brands. Ok, I am done with Night of Champions. Time to move forward.

Raw opens with Jerry Lawler in the ring to introduce our gm for the night. Shaquille O'Neal comes out to his own theme music. Shaq makes a beat the clock challenge with 5 wrestlers. The one with the fastest time meets Orton at Summerslam. The participants are Triple H, Jack Swagger, MVP, Mark Henry, and John Cena. My boy, Chris Jericho comes out next. My guess is Jericho will steal the show on the first segment. Y2J takes a shot at Shaq with a Kobe reference. Shaq calls Chris, Christina. They riff a little more. Big Show comes out next. I worried about Shaq being in the spotlight to much. So far, he is doing a good job. Show and Shaq are face to face. I would love to see Show chokeslam Shaq. Show takes a cheap shot about Shaq missing free throws. Shaq calls Show fat boy and challenges him to a match. This is where I may have a problem. I do not want to see one night gm's getting over the actual wrestlers! Show and Jericho tell Shaq they will not fight him. Instead Shaq makes a match with Cryme tyme and Show and Jericho. Shaq makes himself an outside enforcer. Ugh! Shaq yells Christina a few times.

The beat the clock challenge starts off when Raw comes back. Mark Henry comes out. He will take on Carlito. So everyone takes a back seat to the beat the clock challenge? Carlito was in a feud with Primo, but tonight he is about to get squashed by Henry. I am in shock, Carlito has gotten in some offensive moves in. The match carries over the five minute mark. Michael Cole talks about Mark Henry's girth. I sure needed to know that Mark is a girthy man. Carlito went for his finisher but fails. Henry catches Carlito and gives him the World Strongest Slam. At 6:49 min mark, Henry gets the pin fall.

Another 6 diva tag match cuz six weeks in a row is not enough. Mickie beat Maryse last night for the diva championship. Mickie, Gail Kim, and Kelly Kelly vs Beth Phoenix (bout time she was on tv), Alicia Fox and Rosa. The crowd seems to be impressed with Beth. They ooh and ahh over some of her moves. Wow, thank you WWE fans. Maybe if you cheer loud enough for Beth, the writers may figure it out! I doubter. Mickie starts the momentum for the faces. She shows off her quality in ring skills as the new Diva champ. Gail comes back in and hits a missile dropkick and picks up the win.

Shaq and Michael Cole are backstage talking about what else Shaq has planned for tonight. Hornswaggle comes in. Cole tries to talk street or something. Worthless!

45 minutes into Raw and we have our 2nd beat the clock match. MVP is the 2nd participant in this challenge. He goes one on one with WHO? A returning Chris Masters. This is crazy. I did not see this coming at all. MVP wrestling smart, going for quick pinfalls. The match is going back and forth. I like the fact Chris is getting an opportunity to show improvement. Masterlock on MVP out on the floor and it is a double countout. We might get to see MVP vs Masters in the next few weeks. Hey, a new feud, what a novel concept on Raw. HHH will take on Rhodes in the beat the clock challenge later on.

Kendrick is in the ring when Raw returns. The United States Champion Kofi Kingston will face him. Kendrick grabs a mic and talks smack to Lawler. Kendrick is about to lose in 3 seconds. I called it. The bell rang and then rang again. Kofi hits Trouble in Paradise and its over. I do not get why you bury Kendrick.

HHH vs Rhodes in the beat the clock challenge. Before the break, Dibiase tried to take out HHH in the back. They show a replay of the Triple Threat match at Night of Champions. Orton tapped out at one point in the match but in the end an RKO to Cena with Rhodes on Cena's back won the match for Orton. I told you history would repeat itself. The match starts off with some mat wrestling. Always nice for a wrestling match to start with wrestling. Cole and Lawler say Dibiase attacked Trips with a tire iron. That seems believable. 3 mins ago, a man hit me with a tire iron and then I went out and had a match with only a slight limp. Triple H is superhuman. Why couldn't they have just called it a club or something. Rhodes being smart and focusing on Triple H's left leg. The countdown is at 2 mins now. Triple H can't even get to his feet. Rhodes chop blocks Triple H and then locks in the Figure Four. WOOO! I have to take full advantage of anytime I can woo. Triple H starts his offensive attack with under a minute to go. A Arn Anderson like Spinebuster at 30 seconds to go. Dibiase tries to distract. Pedigree but the clock runs out. So Triple H and MVP have failed to beat Mark Henry's time. This might lead to a match between one of the members of Legacy vs HHH at Summerslam.

Shaq and Santino are backstage playing Scrabble. Cryme Tyme interupt. They wrap a lil with Shaq. Santino starts to free style and was quite good and funny. Thank you Santino for saving the segment.

Hornswaggle vs Chavo...again. This time Chavo has to compete blind folded. I honestly can not tell you what happened after they blind fold Chavo because I lost focus. Orton backstage with Jack Swagger. Swagger tells Orton he will beat the clock. He's bigger, stronger, and younger. As Swagger leaves, Henry comes in with a big smile on his face. I can't see a Summerslam main event with Henry.

The All American American Jack Swagger faces off with Evan Bourne. I like this match up. This should be a great wrestling match. I was right. Swagger and Bourne go back and forth. I like the fact they are letting the other guy in the beat the clock match some time to show off his ability too. Its not all one sided. Swagger hits a huge splash off the second rope but only a two count. Swagger picked up Evan for a gut wrench powerbomb. Evan reversed it into a small package and WON! Unbelievable. I love it. Evan gets a huge win and hopefully the start of a much needed push. The last match of the beat the clock match will be Cena vs Miz. Thats next.

Jeremy Piven is next weeks Raw gm. HHH has a nice interview backstage about how he needs to take out Rhodes and Dibiase. Next week HHH challenges both men to a match.

Miz comes out first with mic in hand. Miz runs his mouth talking about how bad Washington pro teams are. Cena gets a huge ovation tonight. All Cena has to do is beat Miz in under 6 mins and 49 seconds and he faces Orton at Summerslam. Miz does the cowardly heel thing and runs away. Miz gets back into the ring. Cena very focused tonight. He goes for a quick pin fall. That fails. He goes for the STFU, but that fails as well. The match goes to the outside once again. Cena is outside the ring while the clock keeps counting down. Cena gets back in at 9. The match is under 3 mins and Cena locks in the STF. Miz taps with over 2 mins to go. Cena and Orton at Summerslam. I am not suprised but its ok. I look forward to this match up.

Instead of finishing with Cena and Orton, which would have made complete sense. The main event tonight is Cryme Tyme vs Show and Y2J with Shaq as a special enforcer. When I think main events, I sure think of Cryme Tyme. At least Jericho is in the match. Jericho and JTG start off the match. Show tags in and starts to dominate. Shaq gets a great view of Show chopping the hell out of JTG. Show punishing JTG right in front of Shaq. Hot tag to Shad with an assist from Shaq. The crowd is mostly dead during the match. Cryme Tyme hit their finisher and Show comes in and cleans house. The ref calls for the dq. Show gets rid of Cryme Tyme and calls for Shaq to come into the ring, which he does. Shaq vs Show nose to nose. How good does it look if a wrestler gets punked by a basketball player in a wrestling ring? That's exactly what happens. Way to make Show look solid on Raw.

God I hate it when outsiders are made to look better than the men you will see each and every week. This has nothing to do with my dislike for Shaq. Seth Green punked Orton and Shaq punked Show. I just don't understand it. You make the wrestler look bad over making the celebrity look like he is out of his league, which he is. Why not bring back WCW because that is what WWE is feeling like on Raw these days. Thankfully I have ECW and Smackdown that showcases the wrestlers and their talents instead of wanting headlines from the media. I am looking forward to Smackdown and their new World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy. Until next week.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com