Monday, July 13, 2009

Raw 7-12-09

The WWE is finally back to being live after a 2 week hiatus. The gm for the night is Seth Green. As Larry would say, WTF? After being away for 2 weeks and a major injury to a title holder, I am wondering how the WWE will resolve some of their issues. Another night off means I get to do this live, as long as my cable doesn't go out. Are you ready? I said ARE YOU READY?

As I say that, its time to play the game. Triple H opens up Raw. I know I'm ready. I've had withdrawals since I missed Raw last week. The crowd is as jacked up as I am tonight. This could have the makings of a great Raw. Trips announces the guest gm tonight, Seth Green. The crowd actually pops for him. Seth gets Welcome to the Jungle as his entrance theme. You know I am a huge fan of the WWE, why don't they make me a guest gm? Compare Seth to Triple H and Seth looks like a midget. He makes a 6 diva swimsuit match deal. HHH and Seth talk about Robot Chicken, which I have never seen. They start joking about Orton. Doesn't take long before the Legend Killer interrupts they shenanigans. I smell an RKO to Seth Green tonight. Although Randy would have to be on his knees to actually grab Seth. Randy asks the real question to Seth, "Why are you here?". Seth makes the main event Legacy vs HHH, Cena, and himself. Uh ok. Someone has a death wish and his name is Seth Green.

Mickie James, Kelly Kelly, and the new diva of Raw Gail Kim vs Maryse, Alicia Fox, and Rosa. I look forward to seeing more of Gail Kim. She is going to help out the Raw Diva roster. Each week my love for Maryse grows. The match wasn't to bad. Gail showed off some of her talent in the beginning. Mickie gets her hands on Maryse. All hell breaks loose with all the women in the ring. Mickie and Maryse end up in the ring alone. Maryse hits her DDT and wins the match. Mickie can sell very well. This helped their feud.

The best wrestler in the world stops by Seth's office. My boy, Y2J, Chris Jericho calls Seth a hypocrite and some other things I can't spell. Eventually, Jericho tells the world he has something to say tonight. I will go out on a huge limb and say it's about his tag team partner.

They show a recap of last weeks heel turn by Carlito. Primo is in the ring and wants Carlito out. No Carlito, instead its the Miz and he's awesome. Miz has a crush on Maryse as well. He mentions she is watching him back stage. Miz, I will beat your ass for a chance at Maryse. Primo goes to work on The Miz. Action goes back and forth until Carlito's music goes off. He distracts Primo. Miz has a new finisher, hard to describe. He puts his opponent in a full nelson and drops them face first into the mat. I guess its not that hard to describe. Carilto attacks Primo afterward and spits apple in his face.

Lawler and Cole talk about the injury to Edge. They question what will happen to the Tag titles. Lawler hints at a tournament at Night of Champions. How long would the tournament be? The WWE has buried the tag team division. I would guess a whole 4 teams. I don't find that very exciting. I hope they do something better than that. Knowing the WWE, they won't.

Another recap video this time Hornswaggle beating Chavo. Seth makes a rematch but this time Chavo has to have an arm tied behind his back. The Big Show shows up in the gm's office. Big Show has a match with Evan Bourne. He does an impression of Dr. Evil. Show is actually funny.

MVP out to the ring now. I don't know whats going on with MVP but his push has diminished since the first time on Raw. Tonight, he faces The All American American Jack Swagger. Crowd starts an MVP chant. MVP with a bitch slap and followed by a commercial break. My guess is the WWE didn't want to spoil everything between these two men because they will have a few more matches together. Swagger has everything needed to be a main eventer. In contrast, so does MVP. I like the fact that the WWE is doing a feud without a belt on the line, just pride. The match is getting time, another thing Raw doesn't do much. Swagger wins with his gut wrench powerbomb. A great match tonight between these two. I'm sure it will be just the start of a good feud.

Y2J, Chris Jericho is out now for his announcement. Jericho tells the truth and says that the best in the world holds the Tag team titles. He starts talking smack about Edge. Jericho will hand pick his new partner. Mark Henry comes out. Mark gets on the mic and tells Jericho he came out to be Jericho's opponent not partner. Mark starts beating down Chris. A ref just happens to show up. I guess we are having a match between Y2J and Henry. Henry just dominates Jericho. Chris gets counted out for the loss. The crowd gets behind Mark. I just don't understand why you push Henry.

A new DVD is coming out all about Tag Teams. That's pretty sweet. It's suppose to cover 50 tag teams. I like that idea. Tag teams have taken such a backseat in the current WWE. I wasn't going to say anything and just tease this, but now since the WWE decided to drop this little nugget on Raw, I figure I could spoil it. John, or J Conn, and I are teaming up to write a blog on the 10 greatest tag teams, we have ever seen. We should be completing the blog by Thursday.

Hornswaggle out now. Time for a beer and bathroom run. I come back and Chavo is just about to get his arm tied behind his back. The only other time I can remember this happening was when Stone Cold was facing Vince. Mick Foley came out as Dude Love and nailed Austin with a chair and then gave him the mandible claw. Oh, did you want to hear about the match happening? I didn't think so. Hornswaggle won.

Legacy in the back talking about last week with Teddy's dad as the gm. Rhodes says next week it might be "The American Dream" as gm. I would love to see that.

Night of Champions is right around the corner. If you don't watch Smackdown, what the hell is wrong with you? Smackdowns main event is Punk vs Hardy. Jeff is running out of time. His contract runs out very soon. I keep hearing reports he will stay with the company until Summerslam. With Edge out, WWE needs Hardy. The only man off the roster right now is The Undertaker. I would love to see Jericho drop the tag belts and feud with a returning Undertaker.

Kofi out for commentary. Evan Bourne vs Big Show. I said before I like this idea. Big Show needed a change of pace from his usual matches with John Cena. 2 young small competitors vs 1 very large giant. But tonight it is one on one. The match with Show and a smaller guy is always fun to watch. He can throw Bourne around like a rag doll. Evan tries to do anything to put Show down. In the end, a sick spear followed by the camel clutch and Bourne taps out. Kofi gets in the ring and gets Show out. Thursday night on Superstars, Kofi vs Show.

Cena and Trips get ready for their match with Seth Green. HHH and Cena go back and forth about who will cover Seth's back. Cena says it doesn't matter because we both know hes gonna get killed, so true. Before the break, Lawler and Cole announce who is the gm next week. Sad to say, it is not Dusty Rhodes. Raw will be run by 2 sharp dressed men next week. ZZ Top will be the gm of Raw. I will quote from Larry's blog last week, WTF? Come on now! I would have loved to see the American Dream but no we get 2 rock legends. I get that the WWE wants publicity and picking another wrestler will not to do that. But picking people that do not belong on the show is just plain stupid.

Main Event Time!!! WOOOO! That is better, I hadn't wooed yet tonight. Legacy is out first. Orton carrying the WWE title over his shoulder, right where it belongs. Orton is the best heel the WWE has had for a long time. I think someday they will turn him face but it will not be for at least 2 or 3 years. He is that good as a heel. Seth comes out first. Seth has been having second thoughts all night long. Here comes some help, the game, Triple H. Cena gets a nice big pop tonight. I can honestly say that I am not a fan of John Cena's John Deere gear. Go back to the AWA looking shirt.

Tonight feels like a WCW angle. Seth Green in the ring is like having David Arquette in the failing days of WCW. At least we know WWE is not dumb enough to give Seth a belt, let alone the World Title. Match has started when we come back from the break. Seth is in the ring with Rhodes. He gets a right hand in and runs for his life. Cena tagged in now. Orton with his patented back breaker behind the referee back. Another signature move, Orton ddt's Cena off the ropes. Hot tag to Trips. High knee by Hunter, then the knee drop. HHH has the momentum with the Double A spine buster. RKO out of no where to Triple H. Seth creeps in the ring and stops the pin fall. Orton has his hand on Seth and kicks him to the stomach. Loading up for the punt but Cena stops it. Legacy beats down Cena. Rhodes brings a chair in and HHH grabs the sledgehammer. He comes close to nailing Cena. Legacy high tails it. No RKO to Seth Green, I'm disappointed. The crowd chants Seth, Seth and Triple H puts Seth on his shoulders to end Raw.

With a celebrity host, Raw did a nice job. There were a few funny backstage promos with Seth. The in ring action was solid. WWE is putting together a nice string of Raws now. Night of Champions is another 2 weeks away. I look forward to next week but I hate to say that ZZ Top may not do as well as Seth.

Make sure you check out the website later in the week for John and I blog on the Top 10 Tag teams. Plus a HUGE RETURN will happen on the website soon. I know you wanna know what it is. You will just have to keep checking back in the next few days. As always, thanks for reading.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com