Tuesday, June 16, 2009

3 hour Raw Full of Suprises

The very special three hour Monday night Raw had a few suprises, a new champ, and a new owner. It was a fun show to watch with all 3 brands of the WWE came together. However, I have a few questions on my mind once the show was over with. Lets get into why I cant quite fathom what the hell the WWE is doing.

Raw started out great. Why? Because they had my boy Y2J, Chris Jericho open the show. All 3 brands announcing teams were ringside. I thought it was kind of strange to start the Raw show off with two smackdown guys. Chris defended his IC belt with the ultimate underdog Rey Mysterio. I love these two performers. They are so much fun to watch. Jericho had a mic in hand before Rey came out. Jericho told the WWE universe that Raw has gone to the toilet since he left. I guess Jericho has been reading my blogs too. Rey started aggressively, something we don't see often. These two had great chemistry in the ring. This match was pay per view quality. Jericho won with the codebreaker. Awesome opener and I look forward to one more match at the Bash with the IC title vs the mask.

The first world title match was the ECW title match. I cant believe they had a clock counting down to when this match would be over and when the WWE title match would start. Way to let the audience know this match was going to be quick. Dreamer and Christian didnt get the time they should have to build a good contest. Instead it seemed rushed. Dreamer won the match with a roll up after C2 "hurt" his knee. I would love to see another match with these two with hardcore rules.

Earlier in the night Orton and Cena had a fantastic backstage interview. Its not often Cena gets me to laugh at his little jokes but he called Legacy, Baby oiled Boys Choir. Before the Fatal Four Way for the WWE title match they had to show again what Orton did last week. Because we never saw it on a replay last week. Thanks WWE. Orton out first followed by Show, Cena and HHH out last. Trips also got the biggest pop. The match was out of control. Guys in the ring out of the ring until Show started to dominate. I love 4 way matches because each man gets a chance to showcase their talent. Show, you can hit your leap off the top? I always thought you missed that move. I guess if Flair can hit a move off the top once every 20 years, so can you. The finish came when HHH hit the pedigree on Show. FU to HHH. Show kicked out. Cena then lifted Show up for an FU. Goes to cover but Orton interupts. He gets rid of Cena. Show gets up and RKO to Show. ORTON WINS!! ORTON WINS!! Oh I got just a little excited. Orton is now a 5 time champ. A great match that got plenty of time. The best part, no one looked weak. It took every mans' finisher just to pin the Big Show.

The boss is back. Vince laid a bombshell on us earlier in the evening that he is "selling" Raw. He teased us until he got an in ring promo. The new owner is now Donald Trump. Donald was live, well sort of. You could tell it was a taped interview with Trump. He says next week its a commercial free Raw. I cant wait to see how many promos and backstage segments next week. Over under 15. Im taking the over. I like Trump but I just dont know about this. Vince has to know this will help WWE get some good publicity. My question is how will this change Raw? I have a wait and see attitude.

Finally something for the guys, a womans match. Its about time. Mickie faces Rosa. Mickie wins with Maryse ringside. Maryse acted as though she was gonna get in the ring. No luck. Maybe we will see that next week. Hey Trump, you wanna listen to fans? I say screw them, just listen to me. Maryse vs Mickie vs Beth. Damn it!!!

Goldust is out with his new buddy Hornswaggle. Time for the time filler of the night. They are out shooting t shirts. Miz comes out. Goldust calls him the Wiz cuz thats what the fans do while he runs his mouth. I wish i would have during this segment. Miz lays out Goldust and shoots Hornswaggle in the nuts, I mean right in the nuts, with the shirt gun.

Another backstage interview before the World title match. In case you missed Smackdown, I dont know why you would, but Punk is now the World Champ. He had an awesome in ring promo to start last weeks smack. Hes being teetered on the line of both, heel and face. I like it. I can see they could make him a heel easily by turning on Jeff Hardy. But keep him a face to go against Edge or Jericho.

The World Title match begins with the Rated R superstar out first. Huge pop for Jeff Hardy. Champ out last. Punk does a suicide dive on Edge. Hardy wouldnt be out done and launched onto both men. A very cool spot with Hardy on top of Edges shoulders and Punk on the top rope. Punk lauches towards Hardy but Hardy ducks and rolls up Edge while Punk crashes to the canvas. Normally the guy on the top hits that move, glad to see they can change things up. If you have watched enough triple threat matches and fatal four ways. They have different feels to them. Triple threat matches usually have a slower pace but tend to speed up towards the end. Four ways are chaotic with guys just going at it. The end of the match had Punk getting "hurt" while being chucked over the top rope and his knee hitting the steps. Hardy hits the twist of fate and swanton on Punk. Magically Punk got up in time to drag Hardy out and then pin Edge. Again Hardy comes close but cant seal the deal. Teddy Long comes out and announces Hardy vs Punk at the Bash. I know they will do a great job at the ppv. But its pretty easy to figure out the WWE will not give Jeff a long title run. Punk will win at the ppv.

No need to breakdown the Tag match between Carlito and Primo vs The Hart Dynasty. All I need to say is Legacy beat down Carlito and Primo to end the match. They face each other at the bash.

Battle Royal for the Number 1 Contendership for the WWE Title. Only 10 men in the match. I was hoping for a swerve here. The only guys I could see winning was Show HHH Cena and thats it. But what if say MVP won? I would have been much more in shock then what actually happened. Again the WWE pushing Big Show on Raw. He threw out MVP and Matt Hardy. Then the other 7 threw Show out. The last 4 were Legacy, HHH and Cena. Wow I didnt see this coming. Cena eliminates Dibiase. HHH eliminates Rhodes. Miz was playing the role of Jerry Lawler tonight. He was hiding under the ring. He tried to attack HHH and Cena but they ducked and out he went. Thanks for nothing Miz. HHH eliminated Cena right after. Ok so we get HHH vs Orton at another ppv. I guess thats not so bad. But wait, Trump makes another big announcement. That match with HHH vs Orton will take place next Monday and will be a last man standing match. I have to say, I like the fact we get this on free tv. I dont like the fact that this will be the 3rd Last man standing match I have seen with these two men. No Mercy ppv in 2007 Orton won the WWE Title beating HHH. HHH successfully defended the WWE title against Orton in 2008 at Extreme Rules, the night Orton broke his collar bone. Now we get to see the same match for the 3rd time! Come on WWE give us at least a new stipulation. I think there is only about 15 other kind of gimmick matches they could have chose from. I guess they want to make sure HHH and Orton face each other in a Last Man Standing match each year. Holy Crap!

At least Im excited to see what the Donald does with his new purchase. I found out Michael Cole is alive and well this week. I also found out that the Raw writers do know a match can go longer than 6 mins. Good job fellas. I hope Raw can keep it up after a pretty entertaining Raw this week. Until next time. You stay classy Laker fans. Thanks for reading.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com