Friday, May 1, 2009

Week in Review

Its been a while since your boy J Call blogged on Bigbadsportsdaddy, but Im back and I have a lot to say. Lets start with a week in review of everything going on in wrestling.

The ppv Backlash went over as a big success in my eyes. I was especially pleased with Randy Orton winning the WWE title, again. The guy is the best wrestling in the business right now. Larry will say HHH, but he doesn't know anything. Orton captivates me every time i see him come to the ring. I feel passion even when he doesn't speak. So why wouldn't Raw start off with him? The new WWE champ comes out with Legacy. Great promo here by Orton. His long pause before even speaking, spoke volumes. He basked in all his glory. The surprise came when MVP decided to show up. The longest reigning US champ had a good debate with Legacy, leading to Vikki making the match later on, MVP vs. Orton. Throughout the night Raw featured the new acquisitions they made last week in the Draft. Kendrick was the 1st one vs Kofi. Good match. Both guys are US title contenders. We come back with women's crap. Dull and Boring, enough said. Matt came out with his broken hand. He did a nice promo about how he was "forced to wrestle". He beat Goldust, again very boring. I guess Matt is now Cowboy Bob Orton, using his cast to win.
Finally a good match. The 1st main event Orton vs MVP. MVP has his pyro back which I'm very happy about. He also did some great things in the ring. Orton and MVP had a solid contest only to have Shane show up and beat up Orton. The save was to late by Legacy. Next week is now gonna be Shane vs Orton. The Miz was another new guy wanting to make his name for himself on Raw. He challenged Cena. Cena never came out and Miz won by forfeit. Tag champs beat Noble and Chavo cuz the writers have no idea what to do with Noble or Chavo but throw them in a meaningless match. Main event was Show vs Batista for the number 1 contender to Ortons title. Batista won in a match Show dominated. Cena came out and distracted Show. My question is if he could come out then, why didn't he show up to beat The Miz's ass. Makes no sense. I hate Batista. He cant wrestle. I don't care for his promos. Thank god Orton will carry the feud.

Moving on to ECW and Superstars. ECW started with the NEW ECW champ Christian and rightfully so. Dreamer came out and asked for a title shot in MSG. He got it but not without a debate my Jack All American Swagger. Good promo here. I like all 3 of these guys. Dreamer is underutilized, if that's a word. ECW and Superstars both showcase young talent. Tyson Kidd w/Natalya fought Finlay in a solid contest. I hear a new Hart Foundation is starting up with this Kidd Natalya and DB Smith, or whatever hes gonna be called. C2 vs Dreamer was the main event on ECW. Great contest with Swagger interrupting at the end and taking out both. Dreamer doesn't get the ECW title. 5 weeks until he either retires or wins the title. I like where this is headed. Superstars started with a women's tag. I like Gail Kim and McCool. This match highlighted to much of A Fox. McCool beat Kim. One of the best high flyers in wrestling Evan Bourne took on Paul Burchill. Back and Forth contest with Evan hitting another 5 star Shooting Star Press, Youtube it, incredible. The kid deserves a push. Main event of Superstars was Dibiase vs Carlito. A 3rd g star vs a 2nd g star. Again the wrestling was solid in this match as well. Legacys' Dibiase won and will prolly end up getting a tag title shot soon.

Smackdown was suppose to have a scramble match but it was changed to a fatal 4 way. Who couldn't predict who was gonna win? Show opened with my boy Y2J. He talks Smack until Edge shows up. Most fans hate heel vs heel feuds, but I would love to see these two have a feud. Punk came out next to remind everyone hes got the most important briefcase in the WWE. He teased he was gonna cash in tonight. If the WWE wants to do something right, have Punk hold it all the way until next years Mania. No wrestler has done that yet. I would love to see Orton vs Punk at next years mania. Morrison vs Shelton was the 1st contest of the night, which happened to be heel vs heel. Both are solid performers. Love to see these two have another with some more time. Morrison gets the win and slowly is being pushed. Fatal 4 way with Kane Y2J Rey and Hardy for the right to wrestle Edge at Judgement Day was next. It was a very nice elimination match. It came down to Rey and Hardy. Rey is established as the IC champ. You had to know Hardy was gonna win by then. He does with a sweet counter to the West Coast Pop. Hardy vs Edge at ppv. I'm excited for this. Hardy deserves a longer title reign then a month like he got back in Dec into the Rumble. GIVE HIM THE TITLE BACK!!! MVP kept his title vs Ziggler. Not a huge fan of Ziggler, but i like they give the kid a push. MVPs final Smackdown ends with a W. Punk ended the night with a win over Edge. However, he never cashed in after the match. A returning UMAGA came out before he could and took Punk out. This works for me. Umaga is fantastic in the ring. He and Punk can have a fun feud here. Umagas a big man that can move around. Can Punk give him the GTS? Hardy makes the save for Punk. He takes out Edge to end the show. Get ready for a very fun next couple of weeks leading to Judgement Day. The 2 main events are set, Orton vs Batista and Edge vs Jeff Hardy. I look forward to Smackdowns title match a lot more.

I covered a lot in wrestling this week, but from now I will blog twice a week. I will lump ECW and Raw together on Tuesday nights. Then I will blog again either Friday night after Smackdown or Saturday morning. The 2nd blog will be Superstars and Smackdown together. Next week I will talk more about the feuds and where I hope the story lines go. I just wanted to sum up the week with an overall look at where the WWE is taking us. If that's not enough, I will also be blogging about random sports stuff. I hope you check them all out. Thanks for reading.

J Call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com