Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Raw 9-27

Raw was taped after the live show last week which hurt the feel. However, it didn't necessarily mean a bad show. The rating plummeted last week after Orton won at NOC. I can't figure out the reasoning. A week ago, Raw was solid and delivered focus for HIAC. Orton is the most over character in wrestling. I don't think WWE needs a knee jerk reaction or panic. They got several things going right so the ratings will bounce back. Before we track down the path of Raw, I have thoughts on TNA and Smackdown.

Yes, I said TNA. I've been called "narrow minded" and a "WWE homer" and to those people, crotch chops for all of you. I'm watching TNA and I think it sucks. TNA writers are 10 times worse than any WWE writer. Who's in charge of TNA? I don't know because 3 people make matches. One week it's Bischoff, the next is Carter and the 3rd week Hogan comes back to trump them all. WTF? Pick one and run with it. The other story I don't get is Fortune EV 2.0. So your telling me TNA originals, some who have bene there since it started, are heels while guys off the street who got their own show are good guys. Brilliant, oh wait it's the complete opposite of brilliant. If Fortune are heels, and it should be since Flair rules as a heel then have some of the veterans team up to take them. The young kids with Flair against guys like Sting and Jarrett make way more sense. Fans sympathize with the vets who work their ass off. Flair maybe a Vet but his mic skills and ego would make it easy to hate. Instead, they are wasting time with a Jarrett Nash story that no one cares and are investing in ECW guys that never made any money. Get rid of most of them. I do like Dreamer and RVD. That's it. There's two things TNA has that I like. Angle, Anderson and Hardy is one. I know you are screaming, "You only like them because they are former WWE guys." To quote Jericho, "Please shut the hell up." Angle is an all time great and I wrote a full paragraph on Anderson's potential when he was released. Hardy though isn't producing at top level in TNA. He looks uninterested and simply going through the motions. Jeff's a complicated individual or it seems. The other thing, the Knockouts. Their women's division is fantastic. They are adding Mickie to the mix soon which helps even more. There now don't call me narrow minded or a WWE homer again or I will hunt you down and give you a stunner. Maybe if TNA could show me they can re-write a story that happened 10 years ago and make it fresh, I won't be so harsh.

The WWE is doing just that on Smackdown. Taker and Kane finished a great week in wrestling. Paul Bearer returning was icing on the wrestling cake. This story was written twice and it's still exciting. I was reserved and now I'm 100% involved. The best story in wrestling continues. My only concern is rumors are spreading the WWE might have Taker Kane III at Mania 27. NOOOOO! Sheamus should be Taker's next Mania opponent. End Kane Taker in November and move to something new. The WWE shouldn't ruin this run with another match at Mania. I won't put it passed them to ruin something so good. Three full paragraphs and I haven't touched Raw. I got to get to Monday night.

Great opener for Raw. Miz and Bryan are the second best story in WWE. Heels winning a good match was fine. Adding Morrison to the mix is ok. I wondered where his push would go without Jericho. The uniqueness for the ppv match is awesome. It's something I haven't seen and works in favor of the champ. Now, Morrison is in the match and as I said that's ok and a great way to keep him focused on by fans. However, he shouldn't win. Bryan needs the belt and Miz should elevate. Dibiase is the guy I feel in line for the U.S. Unless Morrison is turning heel then keep the belt off him. Morrison can develop with Sheamus after Miz cashes in on Orton. Oops I can't give away my picks yet.

Laycool ruined the battle royal for me. They were so stupid on commentary. This is why I hate guest commentary. The only good thing coming out of the battle royal was Natalya winning. Finally a good wrestling Diva gets pushed. She works hard inside the ropes and Laycool can easily mock her. Alas I feel this is a one time shot and after HIAC it's over. This has potential though.

Sheamus showed some Irish roots with his promo and I loved it. His story about the Kings was a great way to sum up him and Orton. Sheamus seems to be hitting stride and his character development is starting to come together. He's almost a different wrestler than the one that showed up on ECW a year and a half ago. I sometimes hate it when they beat down one to push another. In this case it's the Great Kahli so who cares.

The Raw GM sounded like Mini Me. Edge and Jericho are pros if they can get over with a computer. Edge made a great point, "We've gone from Stone Cold Steve Austin stunning Vince McMahon to Edge arguing with a computer." He may have been joking but there's some truth to every joke. Seriously, the GM needs to be a person. We need a figurehead not a lame electronic voice. I will say Edge and Cena have had some great matches and a long time feud, one more didn't hurt. Cena had to win for Sunday. Edge didn't look weak since he was screwed. All I can say is, 'thank you Edge' for destroying the computer. I have one request, next time con-chair-to.

I'm so tired of Bourne being buried. He's so talented and is wasted. I know Nexus needed to beat down someone for Sunday. But Evan might as well head to Smackdown. The credibility is gone. One note, if Nexus disbands, Evan and Gabriel would be an entertaining set up. The best high fliers would kill the under card. I'll have only my dreams to see that.

Rhodes is really coming into this new character. The mirror on the back of his coat puts it way over the top. This match was another reason the tags should be shown more. The match wasn't long enough but as decent. The Dynasty are breaking up and no one will care. This is just like Cryme Tyme. You can build the division in Rhodes and Drew as champs defending against the Dudebusters, Dynasty and create a few others. The WWE is so lazy with tag teams.

I look forward to watching the Jericho DVD. My bromance with Jericho has been no secret since Y2J returned. He will be missed for the few months he's on tour. I'm hoping a Rumble appearance isn't out of the question. The only Orton Jericho match on Raw ever was worth the wait. Neither man look weak during the match. Jericho needed a story to leave and Orton needed a strong signal to Sheamus. Success! The punt was sick. Jericho will obviously return and hopefully as a face on Smackdown. Orton's mega push continues into HIAC.

Speaking of HIAC, it's this freaking Sunday. As I said in my State of Wrestling blog, this is why the WWE needs to cut some pay per views. The E had only two weeks and they did a nice job putting a few matches together. 2 weeks isn't nearly long enough in between money shows. Now, you have to fork over 80 bucks or so in a three week span. In this economy, I don't think that's a reasonable request to ask fans. I will say Orton and Sheamus has been good and Miz Bryan are better. I actually have hope for Natalya and LayCool. Taker and Kane should end the HIAC ppv unless Miz is cashing on Orton. Smackdown is LIVE this week on Sy-Fy and with Cena and Nexus coming over, it should be a great show. I'll be back on Friday with my picks. Enjoy the rest of the wrestling week.

J Call

1 comment:

  1. I marked out like a little girl for the return of Paul Bearer. That was so fun.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com