Monday, September 27, 2010

Sports Suicide

I realized something Sunday night. I was in a horrible mood and what I then realized was that if it weren't for Mr. Timmy Duncan, I may have committed sports suicide over the last decade. I may take sports to serious and shouldn't get so down after a loss, after all I should be use to it by now. However, lets take a look back at the last 10 years or so and see why football is the most depressing time of the year for me.

First of all with the Sooners, we have had some great years. OU won the national championship in 2000. So what's happened since? A couple of BSC and Big 12 Championship meltdowns. The unbelievable Boise State game which would have been enough. USC killed us in a title game. Kansas State put up huge numbers on us in 2003 in the Big XII title game. I had hopes of a national title game last year. Then Bradford's shoulder snapped and the All-American Tight End, Gresham blew out his knee. This year, I had zero hopes and figure Texas will bounce on us next week to revenge their stupid loss from Saturday. Great start.

The Tuck rule. Couldn't this moment alone been enough for Raider fans? This moment killed the franchise. Oakland would have won the Super Bowl that year. Don't tell me the Steelers would have taken us down. No way. Gruden never gets traded and we win back to back Super Bowls. But no, this single worst moment for me as a Raider fan has haunted me for 10 years.

Coaching Carousel. Gruden leaves and crushes Callahan in the Super Bowl. Leading to the team quitting on Callahan, rightfully so. He didn't change a damn thing. Callahan is followed by the walking corpse of Art Shell. Has this guy said a word since '07? Was he even alive during his coaching tenure? I have no clue. The disgrace of Lane Kiffin after that. Kiffin made it pretty simple he's a jerk. The way he acted, Crazy Al had the right to fire his stupid ass. I'm still waiting for Tom Cable Guy to win back to back games. It isn't all Cable's fault. He hasn't had a QB which falls into my favorite.

The Jamarcus Russell Era. How will we ever forget this worthless piece of crap? I know, the biggest bust ever! Kiffin didn't want him, only smart thing Kiffin said as head coach, and Cable didn't defend him either. He was the worst draft pick ever. The work ethic of Russell could be compared to a rock and the rock wins. He single handily set the franchise back another 10 years. Even in Madden, I can't get a decent QB in the draft to help the rebuilding process. It's like the game said screw you, your franchise chose him and must suffer.

Now, I'm witnessing the Chiefs as undefeated leaders of the division. Braylon Edwards, as I knew he would, played a huge role last night. Janikowski should be released this week and we might as well fire up the parade for the Pittsburgh Steelers. My only saving grace has been how poor the Cowboys started and Sam Bradford looks like a real competitor for Rookie of the Year. When will it end? The lock out looms which means no football next year. Everyone seems to hate that and I may have to take a serious stand on the other sidelines. Another decade of Raider football, I might be 6 feet deep before Al Davis.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com