Friday, September 17, 2010

Night of Champions

By this time last year, this pay per view already happened and Jeff Hardy won the World title. One year later, Jeff is in TNA and rumors are rampant about Jericho leaving, although more now that he is leaving for Smackdown and not the company. Night of Champions, NOC, is the only time when the titles are the forefront, to bad the title matches don't feel special. NOC feels more like just another gimmick. I'm only looking forward to a few matches on the card, with hope a tag match is thrown in with no build because there's no need to build up a tag match. My picks have sucked but I have to turn it around one night and maybe, that night I'll be a champion.

Punk vs Show
No title so I don't know why it's part of this show. I guess filler because again a tag team title match doesn't belong. Show has dominated the SES and with Serena released, it's a matter of when not if the society will dissolve. Punk could make Show tap, highly unlikely. Punk has no shot at GTS unless he wants to kill himself. What can Punk do? Get dq'd. Show wins by DQ.

Women's Diva Title Unification match
Melina vs Lay or Cool
No build on Raw, no interaction on Smack. I'm giving this match as much hype as WWE has when they announced it on the "special" 900th episode. Melina wins.

IC Title
Ziggler (c) vs Kofi
If Smackdown wants to push one heel, Ziggler's the man. He and Vikki are way over and get the most heat on Smack and perhaps the WWE. Dolph backs it up with quality in ring work. I wish this guy was on Raw. Kofi and Ziggler have had the longest IC title feud since Jericho Rey spring of last year. I've enjoyed their matches and constant bantering. I wish they hadn't wrested so many times one on one or had given this one a gimmick. Either way, it could be a good match. Ziggler keeps and hopefully moves on to a new opponent.

World Heavyweight Championship
Kane (c) vs The Undertaker
I normally put this and the WWE for last but I don't think this ends the show. How special has this feud been? The promos, head games and history makes Kane and Taker unique. I've loved almost everything about this story. Taker's first attempt as a sympathetic figure has been a success. I don't find it strange he's looked weak. I find it a new aspect to Taker and a story only Kane could have with him. Kane needs this win, has to and gotta gotta have it now. (I bet you never thought a James Brown reference would end up on a WWE blog. I'm that damn good.) Kane gets this one but Taker will get revenge. By the way, the WWE could flip the script, have this main event and have Miz cash in on one of these two.

U.S. Title
Miz vs Daniel Bryan
Speaking of Miz, he's in one of the matches I'm most intrigued to watch Sunday. I know everyone seems to think Bryan is getting the belt and I was no different until Raw changed my mind. Bryan got the final laugh and looks ready. Miz will be a heavyweight champion, either WWE or WHC, sometime soon. He's ready now. I have one question for anyone who thinks this is the show Miz cashes: Is a wrestler more tired after a 6 pack challenge or a Hell in a Cell? I'm going with Hell in a Cell. Miz holds it for one more month before Bryan takes it away.

6 Pack Challenge for the WWE Championship
Sheamus (c) vs Cena vs Orton vs Edge vs Jericho vs Barrett
I'm conflicted. Let me explain, I don't tend to pick the same as the Showstoppers. They seem to go with the majority. I, on the other hand, probably over think things and shoot for shock and awe. I don't care so much if I go 1-6 on my picks if one of my off the wall picks comes through. Enter the 6 pack. Orton comes in with a near perfect build. Cole has said numerous times, "Orton is the odds on favorite." He's RKO'd everyone and seems the logical choice. I'm not going with logic. That's boring. I have the testicular fortitude to pick someone else. I wish I could pick Sheamus. He hasn't had a clean win as WWE champion in either run. He should get this huge win but he won't. The WWE is crowning a new WWE champion. Cena, ha, no. I'm going out on a giant gut feeling that when Night of Champions is over this man will hold the WWE title. That's right, I'm going for it and if I'm wrong screw it. I took a shot and didn't settle for boring. Hell, I can't get any worse.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com