Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Raw 8-30

I don't think it was to much for one man to ask for a good Raw. We are talking about the 900th episode. I had heard the main event before the old school pyro opened Raw. This is a troubling time for Raw and WWE. Everyone seems to be down on the product, including your best damn WWE blogger on the planet. I mean the stars are the same for every Raw and ppv main event. They haven't changed much up in months. We know Miz is going to get a push by cashing in, but who else? Before the 900th episode, I think we need to develop new stars much like last year with McIntyre and Sheamus.

Those two men I just mentioned, McIntyre and Sheamus should be headlining pay per views for years to come. I have no doubt about that. My question is who the hell are they going to take on? One guy says Morrison, another Christian and one more says neither, Daniel Bryan. Everyone has an opinion on who the star should be next in line. No matter who, the WWE has to do it soon. Miz will get the WWE title and maybe headline Mania 27. I can't believe I wrote that. The WWE higher ups are high on Miz and it's shown the past few weeks and some people are jumping on the bandwaggon. If Miz was to main event, the only man I could see him facing is Orton. I think that feud will take place before this year is over. Say it's not Miz, and you had to choose someone else, beside HHH, Orton or Cena because it needs to be fresh. There in lies the problem. I love Sheamus but he can't face Orton or Cena and you'd make a huge mistake turning Miz or Sheamus face. I asked a particular question to ShowStoppers host Larry, "With the current WWE Raw roster minus Triple H, who would you actually pay to see headline Mania 27?" I'll give you one guess on who he wanted. If you said Morrison, you would be correct and you've won nothing. Morrison and Orton and I could be on board with that if Morrison is the heel. My matches are Edge vs. Christian TLC for the World Heavyweight Championship and Orton vs. Jericho for the WWE title. Christian would be the new guy getting pushed and Orton Jericho is something we haven't seen as far as a one on one feud since Jericho's re-debut. I'm concerned Jericho won't be around by then, more on that later. I love C-squared so he's my guy. Edge and Christian carry Mania. Just for fun an under card match would be Sheamus trying to end the streak of the Undertaker. Look, I know it maybe to early to think about Mania, the WWE should still be planning. Let's hope some new blood gets into both shows main events. We need new stars and fresh stories.

I found it ironic Raw led off with Smackdown. I've been saying for months Smackdown has been better. I loved the lights going out and Taker appearing. That's nostalgia. I didn't like the GM making Taker Hart for later on. I love both men, I just don't want to see Bret wrestle. Luckily, the WWE saved the "match" later in the night. Bret is a great helper for the talent to pick his brain. A solid start with a puzzling end.

WWE found a brand new tag team from Raw. Team Kaval and Bryan up after NXT.. I could see a bright future for that team. McGillicuty may not look like his daddy, Mr. Perfect, I think he can have that kind of career. He's young and green now but down the line he will become a star. Change his freaking name though. McGillicuty, Kaval and Bryan all have bright futures. Miz for the moment is the brightest star shining in Vinces' eyes. The GM needs to announce Miz vs. Bryan at NOC. We know it's gonna happen so help us out and make it official. That way we know the build up is going somewhere.

LayCool was teasing us for weeks about their "big" announcement. Oh boy, a 3 minute match followed by 5 minutes of talking was just what the doctor ordered for the Diva division. A waste of a tag match and announcement that wasn't surprising at all. I like the idea of ending the two belts and making it one. However, LayCool said if they win, they didn't specify if the stipulation holds true for Melina. If they did, I didn't catch it.

The tag team match between Rhodes McIntyre and Truth Morrison was another waste. The tag teams going for the tag belts and we don't get a winner, not even a 5 minute match. Once again, wrestling is put on the back burner. I was pumped when I heard McIntyre's music and had hope for he and Rhodes to win. Instead, the potential was flushed down the toilet. Smackdown is moving to SyFy and what a boost if you brought over Bret and the Dynasty to help the star power. For the 900th episode, WWE was failing to give me a reason to watch the next 900. The tag champs were on for 2 mins to be squashed by Kane. Come on WWE, it's not hard to make a tag division relevant. If TNA can do it, so can you.

Taker was in rare form tonight. He reminded me of the Ministry Taker with the hoodie and not the hat. The mind games with Kane and Nexus on Taker was superb. Seriously, this Kane Taker story is more enjoyable each week it grows and finally Nexus benefits and looked strong. Taker trying to set up before commercial was icing on the cake. He's playing the role so well. The deal is Taker will beat Kane. When? I hope it's not Night of Champions, that's to soon. I hope the story goes until Survivor Series, or whatever the WWE is going to change the name to by then, in November. Taker debuted at Survivor Series and it would be fitting for him to destroy his brother on the very same show. I said it before, I didn't want to see Bret and Taker. Turned out, I loved the segment. By the middle of Raw, Smackdown was the big winner.

I marked out big time when Bourne was finally shown again on WWE TV. Although Michael Cole shot a load all over seeing Del Rio and it ruined the match. Again, I know new talent needs to be pushed, I said it in the 2nd paragraph. Del Rio could have wasted an entire segment by himself, not ruining a match. A cross promotion is fine if there is a payoff. Bourne wouldn't get the chance for revenge so when Henry made the save, I was fine. The lack of focus on Raw out shined its brilliance.

CM Punk and the Society is shrinking and they were still a highlight. The water highlight from past shows should have been Austin falling off a bridge into the river. Of course, every moment Punk talked about could have been an Austin moment. He's the man who took Raw to a whole new level. If you had one wrestler to choose for the greatest Raw superstar ever it's Austin hands down. You read that and said, Oh Hell Yeah. Show and Punk finish the segment in fine fashion. Boy, by now didn't Raw feel like Smackdown.

Now Edge was funny and original with his interaction with the champ. "Human Jar of Mayonnaise" isn't funny. A Beaker reference was hilarious. I had one problem with the heel promos and it was Jericho's. Jericho threatening to leave if he doesn't win scares the hell out of me. I thought he was staying and negotiating a new contract. If he leaves, Raw takes a serious blow and it leaves me with only one guy to tune in for each week. By my account, Orton had a bigger pop than Cena and Raw was in Cena's backyard. You may not have liked it and neither did I, but Edge and Jericho walking out made perfect sense. Why fight all of Nexus, when you can conserve energy for the title match? Edge and Jericho were doing what heels do best and that's look out for themselves. Wade Barrett winning was huge for Nexus. Finally, they looked strong and picked up a clean victory over big stars. Tarver and Gabriel didn't look great taking an RKO in a matter of 15 seconds. The point was to make Barrett a competitor. Success!

The 900th episode wasn't historic. There wasn't a big return or huge surprise. I felt the biggest surprise was Smackdown dominating Raw. The lack of wrestling and winners shined. Miz, Melina and Barrett were the only clean victors from Raw. I didn't hate the show. I wanted more wrestling and at least one big return. The tease for Austin was one thing but give me someone. The best thing to take away is Nexus took out Taker and defeated Cena and Orton. They had to rebuild their reputation and getting a clean victory, which should have happened at Summerslam, and taking out the Deadman was a real eye opener. This team isn't going anywhere. Aside from that, Raw failed to deliver the goods.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com