Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Raw 8-16

I'll be honest straight out of the gate with you, the last few days have no been good ones for this WWE blogger. My Summerslam picks were the worst I've had in history of the pick blogs. I'm more upset over how Summerslam ended then anything else. (More on that soon). At least Sheamus is still the WWE champion and Miz didn't cash in. Raw wasn't much better in fact I felt it was so bad it barely deserved this Raw blog. Even if the show didn't, you deserve a Raw blog each and every week on BBSD and that's what I'm giving you. Summerslam failed to deliver for Nexus and Raw didn't help matters either. What do I mean? Get ready because I'm fired up.

I'm fine I was wrong on nearly every match at SS and was dead last on BBSD. If Nexus would have won, I would have forgiven the rest of the ppv. Nexus losing was the dumbest move WWE could do at the moment. I know it's hard to swallow your pride Vincent and have Cena lose but it needed to happen. I loved the way Nexus was built up and looking strong going into Sunday. Now in the biggest match in their brief history, they lose CLEANLY! The WWE had big names, Cena, Jericho and Edge so it would have made them look weak had all 3 lost cleanly. Well we can fix that with one simple tweak, CHEAT! Nexus are heels and that's what heels do. Since Bryant was our only surprise and Miz came out, here is where we tweak the finish: Bryant loses, Miz comes down starts his sneak attack, ref distracted, Nexus hits Cena with a chair to the back and Barrett hits his finisher and boom goes the dynamite. Jericho and Edge had already beat up Cena as well so it looks like it took 4 guys plus a chair to beat Cena. That wasn't so damn hard. Nope, and it accomplishes everything. Nexus would have opened Raw bragging about the win and story moves forward. Instead, Nexus will be built up for the next several weeks again and I won't be picking them at the next pay per view.

I swear I wrote all of that before Raw started with Nexus opening the show. They gave some lame excuses which wouldn't have been necessary had I been writing this show. Cena was even lamer than usual. He said one thing that was funny, calling Nexus human. That's vintage Cena since he's Cena 2.0. It was only fitting that the Raw GM would chime in and make this segment longer and worse with Cole talking. Out of the whole opener, I liked one word: redemption. Nexus needs it to be relevant again.

Barrett and Jericho were off in their match. Barrett winning was a good start towards rectifying the crap from Sunday. If Nexus would have won all their single matches, it would have made the WWE look even weaker than losing as a team. I didn't understand at this point where the night was headed.

The Dynasty came out to acknowledge that yes in deed, the WWE has tag team belts. I'm happy they changed the name and gave them one set of belts, which are sweet looking. We couldn't get a title defense afterwards for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure they are close to their 90 day non-compete clause but that doesn't exist anymore.

Michael Cole during the Bryant Tarver match was a complete jerk and I think he should do that every match. We all hate him so why not make us hate you more and be a complete a-hole the entire broadcast. I would rather see the color man be the heel like Striker on Smackdown, but Cole sucks so it doesn't matter. Tarver was horrendous in the match and Bryant looked very good. I like Miz coming out and beating up Bryant so the story from 90 days ago can keep moving forward and Bryant will get the U.S. title shortly. This and the WWE title will make Raw entertaining. I still feel Bourne deserves the U.S. title and hopefully he and Bryant can put on a wrestling clinic after Miz drops the belt.

Randy and Sheamus fight into the crowd and beat the crap out of each other and the ref doesn't call for a DQ. Pretty sure Sheamus got Dq'd Sunday for less then what he did on Raw. Inconsistent is a word that comes to mind. With all that said, who cares because if it weren't for these two segments Raw would have been unwatchable. Orton snapped and as I said before, Orton shouldn't win the WWE title and needs more obstacles before he wins. No doubt after Raw, Orton is the man who can invigorate all of the WWE universe. His attack on Sheamus to go with the stunning 2 RKO's were the highlight of the first hour by miles over anything else.

I don't want to complain about everything from Raw. Nexus was winning and getting redemption from SS. My only wish was for matches to be competitive and they weren't. Everything felt rushed because Raw normal has 4 or 5 matches and they were trying to fit in 2 more. A huge lack of wrestling and that's disappointing when Raw had so many matches and none were no longer than 10 minutes. You wonder why I like Smackdown more than Raw each week? Smackdown has wrestling, back and forth contests and one or two matches that last 15 minutes.

Fox lost her belt and it's time for Maryse and Melina to.. oh nevermind give Jillian a try. I thought Maryse and Melina would be nice so you could tie in Dibiase and Morrison for each Diva. Nope, Jillian won and I'm left scratching my head again. What the hell is the WWE doing?

Edge and Slater were having a great contest until the countout. They had good chemistry and the flow of the match was smooth. Out of all the matches, I would like to see these two wrestlers match up again to see if they could extend on what little we saw on Raw. The countout was weak though. A record number of wrestling matches on Raw doesn't mean they were any good.

Who didn't see the end coming? Oh sorry the blind wrestling fan in the front row, oh no that was Jon Lovitz. Cena wins to the shock of every wrestling fan watching and Nexus beats up their fallen brethren. No clue where it goes from here. Darren Young will help Cena next week because we don't need anything making sense on the show. Nexus gets a few wins, some even cleanly, and the story keeps going which is good. However, next week, Nexus should be in one or two segments. To much of a good thing this week made me start hating on the story.

All in all, let's not sugar coat it, Raw sucked. If it weren't for the Viper, this Raw may had been the worst I ever wrote about besides some of the really bad celebrity GM shows. Nexus doesn't need to be in every segment. Matches need more than 7 mins long and given time especially if I'm suppose to believe that Nexus fought tooth and nail with the entire WWE team and tonight they win 5 out of 6 individual matches. That's why I said in the beginning, Nexus should have won at Summerslam. The team is suppose to be strong than individuals. Smackdown will be a better show much like every week. Listen to the geniuses on ShowStoppers. I'll be back for a huge NFL preview blog later this week, hopefully I can do better on that than my SS picks.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com