Thursday, August 19, 2010

Favre and the Media

Breaking news, Brett Favre put on his wranglers, took his Geritol, stopped playing with little boys and started playing real football again. Oh boy, big freaking news. If you didn't see this coming, you have been living in a cave for the past 10 years or so. Favre has been talking retirement before those kids he was playing catch with were born. I feel I can speak freely and I normally do. I will try to keep this as politically correct because I don't want to upset anyway with foul language. There's a saying that I think you've heard and it goes something like this: $#it or get off the pot. I can't decide if Farve did or got off the pot. My brother said it all, "it smells bad either way."

We all knew he was coming back for another year. He can't stay away. He needs football to be relevant. Football doesn't need Favre. He reminds me of Lindsey Lohan. Yes, I'm comparing Favre, a 41 year old NFL QB to a 22 year old immature girl. Lohan has to stay relevant so she goes out gets drunk, goes to jail, supposedly cleans up her act until the media isn't talking about her anymore and then the cycle starts over again. Favre saw the game was starting and he was pushed aside. He had to come back so he could be talked about again. The fact is whatever happens off the field doesn't matter, what on it does. The real problem is the media soaks it all up.

I'll give you a great example: I was listening to a national radio show and I quote, "This is good for everyone, the media, fans, story lines and everyone involved." Oh please wise sports talk radio host tell me what is good for me. I beg you because I don't have a clue what's good for myself. I really needed Favre to make this NFL season special and his story for me to enjoy the season. Bull $#it. The media is the one who needed Favre because their to damn lazy to do real research and find good stories, a real story. Nope, no need to do any work, Favre just fell into their lap and now they can talk about him until the regular season starts. You can find stories around the league with every NFL team. In fact, I did just that for my NFL preview blog coming up (cheap plug). Here's a few examples of stories I would rather hear about: Shanahan and McNabb, Cutler and Martz, Kolb and Reid, will the Pats win the East, Saints repeat, is Aaron Rodgers the newest franchise QB and these are the easy ones. You could have great discussion and debate on any of that plus insight from their teammates. The media wants you to feel as they do and that's a mistake.

I differ in the fact I'm not a real journalist and I would never tell you how you should feel about anything. I'm merely giving you my opinion. I give you credit as a reader because I know you're not a mindless moron who are swayed by me or anyone else. You have a brain so make up your own opinion on topics. My guess is you either love Favre, which tells me your a Viking fan, or you hate Favre, which tells me you're most likely a fan of any other NFL team. When John and I had our sports show, we talked story lines and never once did I say that this is good for you. Certain things can be good for some not everyone unless everyone in the world is getting free money, that would be good for everyone. Favre being dominated on every sports site, sports talk radio and newspaper isn't good for me. Hell I didn't want to write this blog because it's all about Favre but I'm trying to make a point and give you a different opinion then this is great, Favre's the greatest and we missed him. I didn't miss him and I wish he would go away forever.

I love sports and always will. Football is my favorite and I'll continue to watch the games. However, I'm not buying into all the Favre talk and how he makes this season great. This season might be the last one as a strike seems highly likely now. I would have loved to have one season without the old man. I'm staying away from the giant 4 letter network unless it's Monday Night Football. You do whatever you want because that's your right as a fan. I won't be watching the specials and the interviews because what happens on the field matters more than anything. By the time February comes around and Favre has thrown another interception to lose another playoff game, the interviews and specials won't matter and all we will hear is will he come back again? The vicious cycle continues.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com