Monday, June 6, 2011

Raw 6-6

I must have been in the minority or at least the minority on BBSD because I liked last week's episode of Raw. The WWE focused on a little more wrestling and I will take that anytime. The big news seems to be everyone leaving TNA that shouldn't. Foley has announced he requested and granted his release. Tommy Dreamer, who is in the middle of a giant story, is leaving in another week. Now I am all for certain guys leaving the company. For example, Flair, Hogan, Bischoff and Russo. However, Foley and Dreamer have a place. Foley is a mastermind and the people behind the curtain should have listened and used Foley's ideas. Dreamer isn't the biggest character on television or the most charismatic individual. Dreamer is more of a trainer and could have helped in that way. Hopefully, TNA bounces back and uses the young men they have in place. Raw needs to do the same and tonight gets us one week closer to Capitol Punishment. I'm not into the pay per view yet, maybe tonight changes my opinion.

The other somewhat big news is the recent uh heel turn if you will. I don't think you can really call this a heel turn.

I don't see how Christian is now a heel. I get that he hit Orton in the head with the title. Absolutely blindsided him actually. In reality, most of the Internet Wrestling Community should be applauding the move. Christian has been a push over for several weeks. He got a great reaction from the live crowd, even if the WWE filtered in some boos. Jim Ross blogged about how this moves Christian into the top heel status in WWE. I disagree. I think Christian will still be cheered soundly as he is so well respected. The only people who are going to boo him are kids. As I've said before, they are stupid. If kids boo him and older folks cheer Captain Charisma, I'll have a new name for him, the anti-Cena.

I didn't like the finish to Tough Enough. Andy was a better story to win as he has a family. Luke will end up being a bigger star. Andy got bitch slapped and stunned in a matter of 30 seconds. Way to bury new talent right away. Truth has a stolen the Confederate Warrior from Cena. He one upped him wearing the Confederate uniform. Truth is a show stealer right now. No matter what he does, he is remembered. Riley's music is solid and definable. I like it a lot. To bad the whole segment was messed up by the real Confederate Warrior John Cena. Main event announcement was greatness. Vince and Austin in the same ring is a reunion and fond memories of yesteryear. It can never be that good again. The main event was a great way to progress Riley and Miz and finally start Truth and Cena.

I really don't have to much to say about Santino, Kozlov and the Nexus tag team titles. I would rather see a tag match for the titles. I enjoy Santino and his mini push seems to be going over well. I just don't see much point unless we see either more tag teams or they get the titles back. Otherwise it's just going to be pretty boring.

I was very happy to see Beth Phoenix on Raw. I believe she hasn't been on Monday night for about 6 months. With Kharma out of action, Beth and Natalya are the only dominate females in the WWE right now. The WWE always wonders why the Divas don't matter. I got an idea, focus on those two I just mentioned and let them oh I don't know wrestle. That's a hell of a concept. Beth needs to be the focus for Raw for the next several months. She can at least make the Bellas matter in a story.

CM Punk and Rey could wrestle every week. One thing that amazes me is WWE memory. They can't remember half the stuff that happened a week ago. Yet there's Michael Cole recapping the entire history of Punk and Rey. WWE should recall the history of many stories, then again nothing would feel fresh ever. They've done about everything you can do with everyone on the roster. Another great match between two of the best performers on the WWE roster. If Punk leaves, I may not have a reason to watch Raw. He's the best persona in the WWE period.

I haven't read much about the Best of Nitro DVD. I don't need to read much as it is a must own for anyone older than 20. We lived through the best wrestling era of all time. I'm sure the moments on the DVD will make us feel like we are back in our youth. I look forward to checking it out. The only gripe I will probably have is Diamond Dallas Page. Not a big fan.

I have no idea how it happened but Del Rio went from being one of the brightest star on Friday Night to being completely underutilized on Raw. The fake Show was a giant failure. Del Rio is talented enough to be in the upper card fighting for the title. The WWE did a great job elevating R-Truth but in return, Del Rio fell. I'm a big Del Rio fan but you already knew that. Kane and him will battle next week and every little kid can go crazy for a return of The Big Show. I want it over as quickly as possible.

Zack Ryder and Dolph Ziggler in the same segment is a dream come true. Ryder has been on Superstars for quite a few weeks and got about a minute of air time last week on Raw. The match might not have been the longest or best, it wasn't about that. Cole got to mention the Ryder YouTube videos and that's what it was all about. WWE.com is likely getting those videos so better to expose them on television then on Superstars.

I will never complain about a Booker T wrestling match. I'd rather watch him wrestle than commentate. I worried Evan Bourne wouldn't get used. Luckily Raw did it right with air bourne and a double spinarooni. It was also a fantastic way for Bourne to get a nice rub.

I mentioned early I liked the main event. Both these feuds needed something and Austin in the mix is always a good rub for anyone. I tweeted (follow me @mccall316) before Raw that the biggest pop of the night won't even be on Raw. I was half right as Austin received a great reaction on the live Tough Enough Finale but also on Raw. If Austin would have stunned Cena at the end of the show, this would have been the greatest Raw in the history of Raw. The opposite happened. Miz took a horribly looking briefcase shot. I enjoy stunners as much as the next guy. I just wanted that to happen to Cena. The ending was a little confusing. I get the GM being pissed that Austin didn't call it down the middle. So why on earth would he appoint him special GM the following week? That made zero sense.

I will say I'm looking forward to a 3 hour special next week. More Austin is a good thing and maybe that will get Jim Ross at the broadcast table. Overall, this week was a solid effort. We got some nostalgic moments and some progression in stories. With all the stars next week, it will probably be a complete cluster. WWE needs to stay focused. You can find more wrestling opinions on Showstoppers on BBSD. You can follow me on Twitter @mccall316 or email me jcall@bigbadsportsdaddy.com. I'll see you next week. Oh Hell Yeah. Stunners for everyone.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com