Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summerslam Prediction

Summerslam is here! Well not quite but close enough. I love Summerslam. Summerslam is the 2nd biggest pay per view of year for the WWE. This years card is not as stellar as some other years but it should be a great event. Now is the time to start to rub my ball, I mean my crystal ball and figure out what the WWE will do this Sunday.

Before I get into my predictions I wanted to do something special for the blog. I wrote my buddies on ShowStoppers, Larry and John, and I asked them to email me a small email on what was their favorite Summerslam match. Here is their responses:

My favorite match at summerslam was in 2001. It was Jeff Hardy vs. Rob Van Dam in a hardcore championship match. I liked it because it was the match that was the closest to a money in the bank. it was hardcore, and involved a ladder. Van Dam and Hardy had one of the best matches ever.

John

My favorite match of all time at SummerSlam would have to be Razor vs HBK at the 95 event. This was when the ladder match was still new and these guys put everything into it. If they wouldn't of made this match what it was we probably don't have ladder matches today

Larry Stanley

I love both of their choices. I knew Larry was going to choose an HBK match because he is in love with him. John picked a match with 2 hard working wrestlers and they put on a great show. As for mine? Summerslam '91 with Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect for the IC title. Incredible match with 2 fantastic technical wrestlers. It is my personal favorite Bret Hart match. By the way, Mr. Perfect is very underrated. He should have been a world champion. Alright, now for the predictions.

WWE Tag Team Titles
Y2J and Big Show (c) vs Cryme Tyme.

I am very happy to see Cryme Tyme get some time to build their team up and wrestle for the gold. Smackdown has been building up some new faces and Cryme Tyme is two of them. The strange thing is Y2J and Show have been on Raw for most of the build up. JeriShow have been in the midst of the Cena Orton feud. If the WWE is smart they keep the belts on Show and Y2J so they can keep being used on both shows. I am going with my boy Jericho and Show over Cryme Tyme.

Kane vs The Great Kahli.

I don't know what is so great about The Great Kahli. I do like Kane because he can wrestle! Why waste time and effort to build a feud with Kahli when any smart wrestling fan knows it is going to suck? I am going with Kane.

Jack Swagger vs MVP

Here is a match up anyone could love. MVP has improved over the last year or so. Mic skills? Check. Charisma? Check. Athleticism? Check. MVP has it all to become a main eventer. Swagger already has held a world title, even if it was the ECW, it still counts. These two men should be being used as Raw's next top performers. I really hope the WWE gives these two men some good quality time to develop a fantastic match. Both men need the momentum. I think the WWE will give it to Swagger. This feud should continue after Summerslam.

ECW Championship
Christian (c) vs William Regal

I don't fully understand the logic of William Regal getting a title match on a huge pay per view. I heard reports Regal was getting this push to help the young talent develop. If Regal is in the title picture it means more high profile matches. It also means Regal wrestles the young talent to raise them up as well. I guess Regal is a good mentor for the younger wrestlers. Christian is solid in every aspect. He should win Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania 26 so he can get a huge push next year. Captain Charisma is that good. He deserves to keep the ECW title a while longer. He will successfully defend his title at Summerslam.

Intercontinental Championship
Rey Mysterio (c) vs Dolph Ziggler

I must say, I love this feud. Smackdown has elevated the value of the IC title with Rey as champion. Rey has made Dolph into a great mid card wrestler. Rey has asked the WWE if he could have a long run with the IC belt. Dolph deserves a chance to be a champion. I believe Dolph will be a great asset to the WWE for the next couple of years. He will get his chance, but not now. Rey will keep the belt for another month.

DX vs Legacy

I will be pissed if this match is the main event. If Ric Flair's last match was not the final match of Wrestlemania 24, DX should not headline Summerslam 09. I like DX. They just got back together in the last 2 weeks. On Raw, Legacy got their time to shine and did. No chance in hell DX loses this match. DX should stay together for the next few months. I hope they keep feuding with Legacy for another month.

WWE Title
Randy Orton (c) vs John Cena

Randy Orton is the best heel in the WWE. How many times have I said this? I have no idea but it has to be said. Randy is the complete package and he brings it night in and night out. Cena is the most passionate wrestler in the company. Cena always has great promos. He is not the best wrestler but that is ok. I am going to bet this is the final match of the night. John Cena has not looked bad on Raw for... wait he has never looked bad. Randy deserves the belt! I expect Randy to open Monday Night Raw with the belt in his hand.

TLC Tables, Ladders, Chairs Match
World Heavyweight Champion
Jeff Hardy (c) vs CM Punk

I am sure you are wondering why I am finishing with this match when I just said Cena and Orton will finish Summerslam. I am glad you asked. I thought I would end this special prediction blog with a letter to the strange enigma Jeff Hardy. Before the letter, I say Punk gets the belt back.

Dear Jeff Hardy,

First off, huge fan. Jeff, you are one of the most charismatic wrestlers I have ever seen. I love watching you in the ring. You are a daredevil. You deserved this push as champion. I went crazy when you beat Triple H and Edge at Armageddon last year. I sat back and soaked in what had to been one of the greatest moments in your career. You worked so hard to come back and become world champion. I just have to say one thing. DON'T LEAVE! I understand the long grueling schedule you have. I understand you want to explore other career paths. But this is your time, Jeff! A make or break it in your wrestling career. If you leave, the WWE may never push you as a world champion again. If you leave and comeback, they will keep you held down to mid card level like so many other times. If you stay, you can continue this title push. You will go down the path of Hall of Famers go down. The path of being a long term champion and headline multiple pay per views, perhaps Wrestlemania 26. Yes, I believe you would headline next years Wrestlemania if you stay. Your fans need you Jeff. The WWE needs you. You may not need the fans or the WWE, but think about how you may need us in 2 years when the itch returns. It always does. You will itch to get into the ring again. To hear us scream for you! So at Summerslam enjoy the "pop" when you come out. Because if you leave, it may never get that big again.

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com