Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Scream for the Moment

I have teased this blog for over a week and a half. It is time to unveil the best blog I have ever wrote. If you can't get jacked up over "the moment" you do not love sports. I came up with this idea of a sports blog about the best sports moments in my lifetime. Instead, it turned into this giant blog about one of the biggest reasons I love sports. I received feedback from a lot of people and I thank them for it. You all helped me with this blog. I hope you enjoy.

Why do you like sports so much? I have been asked that question countless times in my life. The answer is much more complicated then you may think. I have thought about why I love sports all my life. I then realized that sports has been my life. The main reason I love sports is because of "the moments". Sports moments are something that makes you feel like standing up and cheer or fall to the floor in anger. It depends on which side of the moment you fall on. The hardest thing to do is define what exactly a sports moment is.

I believe the best definition I could give a sports moment is a happening in which you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when it happened. A sports moment can happen any time at any sporting event. For instance, it could be the first time you played on a team. My friend, Dan, told me one of his favorite sports moment was witnessing a teammate score 50 points in a junior varsity basketball game back when he was in high school. Dan was the only person to give me a moment that happened on a team he was on and I thought that was very special. If you are playing on the same team and a "moment" takes place, the best thing to do is soak it in. Obviously Dan did. In some cases, the moment may not happen to a team you like or dislike.

The most hardcore sports fan should still be able to appreciate a moment that didn't happen to a team he/she likes. I don't particularly care about either the New York Giants or the New England Patriots but I sure loved the "helmet catch". If you do not know what moment I am talking about, where have you been? The Superbowl is the biggest stage in all of professional sports. Last year, the Giants were the hottest team heading into the big game. The Patriots were the heavy favorites. The game went back and forth. In the 4th quarter the Giants needed two comebacks to win the game. The 2nd drive looked to be dead in its tracks. Eli Manning scrambled, should have been sacked twice, got away and threw up a bomb. David Tyree leaped as high as he could. As he came down reaching behind his head the ball was pinned to his helmet. The ball came about two inches from hitting the ground. That one play changed the entire game. I sat on my couch admiring the moment. Although most of the time we remember the good, that is not always the case.

If you know me, you would know I am a huge Oklahoma Sooners and Oakland Raiders fan. In 2001, the Oakland Raiders had a mix of veterans and young talent. They seemed destined to be champions. The New England Patriots hosted the Raiders in the 2nd round of the 2002 playoffs. The Raiders had the lead and needed one big play to seal the deal. It seemed as though they had gotten it. Tom Brady stepped back to pass and out of nowhere corner Charles Woodson blitzed and caused what looked to be a fumble. Oakland recovered the ball and I was relieved. That is until the Patriots challenged the call on the field. The ref ruled Brady had not "tucked" the ball away and was still in a throwing motion. I nearly threw down the phone I was talking on. I was so pissed. Oakland didn't win and haven't recovered since then. The Sooners and the Boise State Broncos played in one of the greatest college football games ever. The bad news is the Sooners lost. Boise State used two of the coolest backyard plays to pull off the victory. In the end, I nearly threw up. I will never forget either moment.

Of course the most memorable sports moments you remember are the good moments that happen to your team. I have been a San Antonio Spurs fan for a long time. When Duncan fell in their lap in the 1997 NBA draft, I was excited. Tim has had several moments throughout his great career. The moment I remember most is the performance he put on in Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals. A triple double in a finals clincher and 2 blocks shy of a quadruple double. He did everything in that game to make sure the Spurs won the title. The other moment also happened in the playoffs. Tim hit a unusual 3 pointer to tie the game against the Suns in Game 1 of the playoffs in 2008. He saved the Spurs and I nearly fell off my chair when he nailed it. Another unbelievable moment was the entire home run race in the 1998 MLB season. I was a huge Mark McGwire fan. He was an all American man. Mark and Sammy Sosa chased the most important season record in all of baseball, the home run record held then by Roger Maris. I remember exactly where I was when Mark hit the record breaking home run. Number 62 barely got over the wall but when it did I went crazy. I was at my friends grandma's house and I was so happy for McGwire. I know after all the steroids going through baseball, it looks tainted. I don't care I loved the moment. However, it is not my favorite home run to watch.

Some sports moments could not even be written by Hollywood. A moment that comes to mind is one that occurred right next to Hollywood, in Los Angeles, Cali. Game 1 of the 1988 World Series was a moment I may not have gotten to see live but gives me goosebumps whenever I see it. The announcers had said earlier in the broadcast that there is no way Kirk Gibson will even bat. Kirk found out what they had said. Kirk had injuries to both legs but was determined to prove them wrong. The bottom of the ninth, he was called upon to pinch hit. Kirk was facing one of baseballs greatest closers, Dennis Eckersley. He fought off a few pitches. Then with one swing of the bat, he made history. Kirk hit a 2 run homer to win the game. The image of Kirk rounding the bases pumping his fist is tattooed in my brain. The moment was helped by a great call from the broadcasters booth.

Announcers can really effect a sports moment. They have to know exactly what to say and live in the moment. Some broadcasters can enhance the moment to make it even more special. The Gibson home run is a perfect example. As Kirk rounds the bases pumping his fist, the play by play man makes it even better. "I don't believe what I just saw. I don't believe what I just saw!" The call was by Jack Buck and it was fantastic. He took nothing away from Gibson. Another awesome example is Marv Albert. Marv has been doing NBA games for years. He was part of the NBA on NBC back in the 90s. He was courtside when Jordan's Bulls took on Magic's Lakers in the Finals. I think everyone can picture Michael's famous switch handed lay up. Jordan went up for the dunk and in mid air switched hands and finished with his left hand. Marv made a fantastic call in his not to overly excited voice, "Oh a spectacular move by Michael Jordan." While some broadcasters know exactly what to do, others fail miserably. Homer Radio network broadcasters tend to get so excited they take away a moment and become annoying. Other broadcasters don't get into the moment enough. I go back to the "helmet catch". Joe Buck was literally a robot in his delivery. He had just witnessed a beautiful game changing play and if you listened to the television broadcast, Joe sounded as though he had forgot his coffee. Broadcasters have to find a fine line in between overly excited and dull and boring. I don't want an announcer to explode but at least respect the moment.

Certain athletes demand respect from everyone. Michael Jordan is one of those athletes. I could write a whole other blog on Michael and his moments. I mentioned the layup but most people remember two other moments. Michael's shot over poor Craig Ehlo in the playoffs comes to mind. Michael took the in bounds pass made a quick move to the free throw line and made a hanging shot over Ehlo. Michael went crazy with a huge leap and many fist pumps. Most of the feedback I received was Jordan's last shot as a Chicago Bull. I agree because it is my most memorable moment ever. Did Michael push off of Byron Russell? Who cares? Michael was the best player in NBA history and his last shot won his 6th NBA title. There will never be another Michael Jordan. Another Michael comes to mind when demanding respect. Michael Phelps has earned the right to be called the greatest swimmer ever. I do not care if you like swimming or not. The point is rather pointless. Michael Phelps eight gold medals in the 2008 Olympics proved he demands respect.

Sports moments are the greatest thing about being a sports fan. The moment turns you back into a kid again. My brother text me after LeBron hit a game winning 3 pointer in a playoff game earlier this year. My brother told me he nearly woke up the entire neighborhood screaming. True sports fans know when a moment is or has happened and we enjoy every second of it. As a sports fan, I want a moment to happen every time I watch a game but it would take away from the very special moments. When will the next one happen? I don't know but I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

J Call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com