Monday, August 10, 2009

Raw 8-10

Last week I really enjoyed Raw with Jeremy Piven. The show had solid in ring action and furthered the storylines heading towards Summerslam. Raw is live from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Calgary is home of my favorite wrestler of all time, Bret the hitman Hart. Calgary is also home to some very loyal wrestling fans. Sgt. Slaughter is the gm for this evenings show. I am happy about a former wrestler being the general manager. Will DX return? Will John Cena ever look bad? Lets find out on another addition of WWE Monday Night Raw!

Raw starts out with the lights off and Lilian introduces the WWE champion Randy Orton. Lights go up and Orton is in the ring. Randy says there are rumors about him being worried about facing Cena. I highly doubt that. Cena and Orton have only been in the ring for the WWE title about 50 times in the last two years. He says he can bully anyone. I can forsee the Sarg out soon. The crowd starts a "you suck" chant. Canadians are always classy. Randy says he will beat Cena at Summerslam, half the crowd cheers. You can't see me hits the speakers and out comes the most popular kids star in the WWE, John Cena. John gets in the face of Orton. Cena is very passionate about kicking Orton's ass. Although he doesn't say that, he says many other things. I can hear a small RKO chant. Big Show/Y2J music hits and here come the unified tag champions. Show, Orton, Y2J, and Cena all in the ring at the same time. Big Show starts talking about intimidating people. Cena mentions Shaq. Crowd is super hot on Y2J. Jericho says they are out because Raw is in Jericho country. I won't be the only one chanting Y2J tonight. Chris goes on about a meeting with the acting gm Sgt. Slaughter. Y2J asked for a one on one match with Cena and received it. Orton talks about punting Cena after that match. The Big Show tells Orton he will be in a match with him. Cena vs Y2J and Show vs Orton. There is a wrestling god because tonight I am getting exactly what I want! WOOO!

A fatal four way Divas match for a shot at the Diva championship is up next. Kelly Kelly vs Gail Kim vs Alicia Fox vs Beth Phoenix. Lots of near falls in the beginning of the contest. Huge backbreaker by Alicia Fox on Kim. Kim a huge drop kick off the top for a 2 count. I really want Beth to win this match. She puts both Kim and Kelly on her shoulders. Amazing! Kim with a flying cross body to the outside on Fox. Kelly leaps onto both Kim and Fox. Match is fantastic. Beth got hung up on the top. Kelly got dropkicked to the outside and Kim pins Fox with her whatever you wanna call her finisher. Kim vs Mickie at Summerslam? Probably. A great Divas match.

After the contest, here comes the Sgt. He says he is honored being in front of the great Canadians. He leads us in a salute to the Canadian flag.. sort of. He talks about how the USA saved Canada. I love it. Sgt Slaughter is the heel tonight. He keeps ranting for a few more minutes before pledging to the USA flag. The fans are hating this, which is perfect. We havn't seen a full fledged heel celebrity general manager.

Raw returns from the break with a recap of Triple H last week. Apparently HHH went to Texas and we get to see what he found when he went there later. Right now, Swagger comes out to face Bourne in a rubber match. I wish these two were facing off for the number one contender for the US title. Bourne out of the gate quickly. Huge flying double knee over the top. Bourne flips back in the ring and Swagger puts his knee into Bourne's back. Bourne wrestling smartly focusing on fast moves and the legs of the bigger opponent. Couple of sweet counters into a roll up by Bourne. Swagger grabs Bourne and hits the gut wretch powerbomb for the victory. Again this was two quick. These two should have gotten a full 2 breaks for a rubber match. Swagger gets on the mic and is interrupted by MVP. MVP talks some smack to Swagger. MVP asks for a match against Swagger tonight. Swagger says maybe next week and MVP shoves Swagger to the match. MVP tryin to instigate Swagger. Swagger walks out. This match might be saved for Summerslam.

Triple H is in some office building looking for The Heartbreak Kid. We find Shawn being a cook in the cafeteria. Shawn starts yelling at some kid. HHH meets up with him but all Shawn says is hello Hunter. Thats the whole video. Not that cool or funny. Slaughter comes out to the ramp way and introduces Jillian to does god bless of America. Jillian needs something in her mouth to keep it shut and I can only think of 1... wait I have to be politcally correct here and stay pg.

Anyway, Smackdown has now announced their main event for Summerslam. Tables, Ladders, and Chairs (oh my) match with Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship. Hardy is still talking about leaving the company after Summerslam. Punk is about to make or break it as a Champion if he does leave. Punk will get the title and a possible returning Undertaker? I would hope Undertaker returns soon. My guess is Punk and Morrison will be the next feud. Any chance Hardy stays for another pay per view to main event with Punk and Morrison. A triple threat match with those 3 would blow my mind.

A returning Eugene takes on "The Calgary Kid" for a superstar contract on a poll match. The winner gets a Raw contract. Within two mins Eugene hits a rock bottom and peoples elbow. Both men get up on the poll. Calgary kid nails Eugene and actually wins the match. He then attacks Eugene and hits a huge finisher. He takes the mask off and its THE MIZ. Miz is back. He grabs the mic and says he is back cuz he is awesome. I thought this was going to be a worthless segment, mostly because I hate Eugene, but instead its brings Miz back. At least it was eventful.

Recap of Show vs Kofi from last week. The Legend Killer is heading into the ring. Next week Raw heads to Orton's home town of St. Louis, MO. Crowd will love him there just like Calgary this week. I always find it funny when the crowd cheers for the best wrestler and not just the "face". Show out with his two tag belts. I can not believe one of those belts fits around his waist. Show stares down Orton. Show begins throwing his enormous right hands. 2 heels are going at it and I don't think the crowd knows who to cheer for. Show walks over Randy's stomach, I am certain that feels great. Randy has not had one offensive move in yet. Show sets Orton on the top rope and chops him. Orton falls to the outside. Orton gets in first and a thumb to the eye and my god! Orton hit the DDT off the ropes on The Big Show. That was freakin unbelievable. Orton setting up for the RKO. Show blocks it and throws Orton across the ring. Chokeslam on Orton. 1,2, foot on the rope. Randy slowly getting up with Show lurking behind ready for the big knockout blow. Instead Orton slides underneath Show and to the outside. Orton gets counted out.

More HBK and HHH banter from earlier. HBK says after Wrestlemania it was all over. Shawn says HHH wouldnt understand. Some kid comes in and throws tater tots in HBK face. HHH says he needs HBK. Shawn says he is happy and good at what he is doing. A fire starts and Shawn puts it out. Finally, HBK says he will listen to Hunter. I thought DX was suppose to be funny. So far they have been pretty stupid. I know the WWE has to stretch this out until Summerslam, but can you at least entertain me?

MVP takes on the Masterpiece Chris Masters. Masters has a great look for a wrestler. To bad for him, he has no charisma or wrestling ability. Masters gets the early upper hand. I like MVP. I just don't think he has been used correctly. I remember HHH vs Booker and they talked about the different up bringing they had. MVP and Swagger could have that kind of personal feud. MVP started to roll and hit a few offensive maneuvers. Masters went for the Masterlock and MVP countered into his finisher and picked up the win. Swagger out after the match and distracts MVP long enough for the Masterlock. Powerbomb by Swagger to end the segment. Good finish. Build momentum for the Swagger MVP feud.

Another DX skit. HBK is cooking with HHH in the kitchen. They make a joke about Summerfest, which is what Piven called Summerslam last week. HBK boss comes in and starts yelling and receives a little Sweet Chin Music. He says he is in for Summerslam and if you aren't down with that we got two words for ya. An older woman walks by and screams suck it. Shawn then gives the little whiney girl some Sweet Chin Music, but you don't see it. I was finally entertained by the DX guys.

Sgt. Slaughter comes back out and says he was having fun with Canadian fans. He says he thought it would be nice to bring back the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be. Bret Hart's music hits and what a pop he receives. However, Duggan comes out instead. I know full well Bret will never come back. I also do not find it fun to torture me by playing his music just to tease me. I love Bret and if I had super powers I would heel Austin and Bret just so I could watch them wrestle each other again. Alright, I will calm down my man crush on The Hitman.

Another Raw, another segment with Hornswaggle and Mark Henry. They face Chavo...wait. Chavo says he can't wrestle because of his injuries but has a replacement tag team, Legacy. Sweet! I know the WWE will never let anything bad happen to Hornswaggle but Legacy needs to win this. Legacy will face DX in 2 weeks at SS. They need momentum and look strong. Henry hits a suplex on both members of Legacy. That is always a cool spot from a big competitor. Worlds Strongest Slam on Dibiase followed by a tadpole splash but Dibiase moves. Dibiase hits dream street on lil Hornswaggle. YES!! Perfect victory for Legacy. Legacy is on the entrance way Dibiase says they are ready. Rhodes says they will make DX the quickest comeback ever. If you are not down with that we got two words for ya, to bad.

Jericho has a backstage interview and starts talking trash about Calgary. He thought the camera was off. WWE tries to get the fans to cheer Cena over Jericho. Might work. Smackdown main event is Punk vs Morrison for the 3rd time in a month. Morrison has beat Punk the last two times. Punk needs to beat Morrison and prove he deserves in the main event against Hardy. I hope he cheats and picks up the victory.

Main event time. Cena receives a better ovation the 2nd time around. Maybe the Jericho promo worked. Jericho said earlier he has not beat Cena in a one on one match. That is ridiculous. Jericho has been the best overall performer in the past year in the WWE. Jericho still has some of the crowd behind him. Entrances are over and so are the commercials time for some wrestling. Y2J is looking to end it early with a roll up and a walls attempt. Basic mat wrestling by Cena. Y2J chant and the crowd starts to get behind Jericho. Jericho starts pounding on Cena. A basic submission move on Cena. A match like this with two great athletes should start out a little slow and then pump up the energy. Cena starts to gain control with a few shoulder tackles and goes for the can't see me fist drop. Jericho goes for the cover. Back and forth. Jericho gets caught of the FU but counters into the Walls of Jericho! Come on Cena tap out! Jericho should beat Cena tonight, but I know he won't. Cena gets close but Jericho pulls him back to the center. Cena rolls through and locks in the STF. Orton out in the ring and gets Jericho dq'd. Codebreaker on Cena. Show chokeslams Orton. Sgt. Slaughter comes out and makes a match for next week on Raw. Cena and Orton vs Show and Y2J. Double clothesline over the top on Show by Cena and Orton. Jericho tried to nail Cena with a tag belt and gets picked up for a FU, instead Orton takes Jericho off his shoulders with a sick looking RKO! Now that was cool.

I love the main event for next week. Two solid weeks of Raw now. Good job WWE. The Miz got back on Raw. DX is now reformed. Orton, Cena, Show, and Jericho all were a huge part of the show, but never looked weak or bad. Summerslam is in 2 weeks and this is just what the WWE needed to do. Your top stars can not look weak before a pay per view. Adding Show and Jericho to Raw has been fantastic. I hope they can keep it going for next week. They never did announce who the GM will be for next week. I hope it is someone who makes sense. I guess we will have to wait and see. Make sure you check out Showstoppers in the radio section. Larry and John have quite a bit of WWE knowledge. Maybe not as much as me, but, they are still good, lol. Just kidding fellas.

On a personal note, last week was awesome for me. I received a job offer from a local radio station. Of course, I took the job. I will now be selling advertising for KDSN starting Sept. 1st. I just want to thank everyone that has helped me land this job. I sure appreciate everything you have done. I am not going to name names. You know who you are. I do want to send a special thanks you the man who started Bigbadsportsdaddy.com Larry. You saw the potential I had way back when I first met you, one year ago. You gave me my start on the website on Showstoppers. You have also allowed me to voice my opinion through this blog. I thank you very much. Don't worry fans, I am not going anywhere. I may have this job, but will not stop writing for this website. No chance. It will take more than that to get me off this website. WOOO!!

J Call

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Small town guy from Iowa. I went to school in Dallas and graduated. I work for 105.3 KNOD radio station in Harlan Iowa as the news director. I love sports and wrestling. You can catch my thoughts on everything sports and wrestling on bigbadsportsdaddy.com